Author Topic: Out of the box issue - GS-911  (Read 15236 times)

HGPILOT

Out of the box issue - GS-911
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:11:41 PM »
My new GS-911 just arrived.  Followed instructions carefully – did not plug device into computer, downloaded the “gs-911 downloader” (version 1506.1 was the latest), and installed on Windows 10 Home edition.  The install process welcomed me to the Device Driver Installation Wizard (clicked next) and the USB driver installed successfully – green check box and “ready to use”.  Plugged in the gs-911 and got nothing.  Tried this again on a Windows 7 Professional PC – same results.  Should I be seeing some sort of light on the unit?  The windows audible sound of plugging in a USB device never works either – any suggestions?  Bad device?  Bad cable?  Anxious to get this working.

A few other notes:
It's not plugged into either computer via a USB hub
Tried plugging / unplugging - no change
Running as local administrator

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Out of the box issue - GS-911
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 04:40:49 AM »
Which model of GS911 did you purchase and where was it purchased ?, bit difficult to assist without a little more info

If it is the WiFi, then yes there should be an LED on at the end of the unit
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:45:39 AM by WayneC »

Francois Cilliers

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 06:20:49 PM »
My new GS-911 just arrived.  Followed instructions carefully – did not plug device into computer, downloaded the “gs-911 downloader” (version 1506.1 was the latest), and installed on Windows 10 Home edition.  The install process welcomed me to the Device Driver Installation Wizard (clicked next) and the USB driver installed successfully – green check box and “ready to use”.  Plugged in the gs-911 and got nothing.  Tried this again on a Windows 7 Professional PC – same results.  Should I be seeing some sort of light on the unit?  The windows audible sound of plugging in a USB device never works either – any suggestions?  Bad device?  Bad cable?  Anxious to get this working.

A few other notes:
It's not plugged into either computer via a USB hub
Tried plugging / unplugging - no change
Running as local administrator

If the lights do not go on, it's not getting power, so it could be a faulty USB cable. If you don't have another USB cable to verify it, you can connect your GS-911 unit to your bike. It will draw power from the bike's battery, so if the lights remain dead, then it could be that the unit is damaged.

If you have a GS-911wifi unit and it does power on when connected to the bike, you can still access it wirelessly with a web browser to register and use diagnostic functions until your USB cable can be replaced.

Please contact your supplier or our helpdesk if you can't get it to work: http://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1

HGPILOT

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 05:05:47 AM »
Yes Francois - that was the problem.  Tried a new cable and it worked.  Odd that a brand new unit contained a faulty cable.

Thanks again.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 05:13:56 AM »
Pleased to hear it is sorted, it sounded odd, you should be able to download and use the 1507 beta release as well as the 1506 version

Francois Cilliers

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
Yes Francois - that was the problem.  Tried a new cable and it worked.  Odd that a brand new unit contained a faulty cable.

Thanks again.

It is odd yes, but we have had rare cases with the same problem. We are taking measures to prevent this from happening in future. If you would like a replacement cable, you may contact our helpdesk. Glad to hear you are able to use the unit, though.