Author Topic: ABS Bleeding proceedure  (Read 8573 times)

jpdavidson

ABS Bleeding proceedure
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
As those of you who have been following the saga on the Google list will know, I had the brush fault with my ABS controller some time ago.  Well after sending the ABS to ModuleMaster in the USA, it arrived back this morning, sporting a nice new ModuleMaster sticker.

I re-fitted the ABS this afternoon and now need to bleed the system.  I have the GS-911 to assist in doing this (the main reason I bought it at the time, though  I have wanted one since I bought the bike in 2008).

Does anyone know of any instructions specific to bleeding the brakes using the GS-911 to help with the actual ABS side of things.

If not specific instructions, then what part of the ABS diagnostics and maintenance procedure is needed to ensure their is no air in the ABS Module

Julian

Haakon

Re: ABS Bleeding proceedure
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 02:00:25 AM »
It is real easy to do.
(I do not remember exactly what the GS-911 screen show but I think its "ABS bleed" or something like that.)
You will see it when you open the ABS "page".
I think you can bleed the front OR rear system separately - thats how it is on my bike.
--------------
Preparations and how to..
First do a normal barke bleed- to fill the pipelines.
Have fresh brakefluid ready (guess you already have that)
Open the brakefluid resevoir and make sure its filled - for the front it helps to have the wheel pointing to the left so the resrvoir is as horizontal as possibe.
The ABS unit is closed off untill you start the GS-911 bleed.
Keep the reservoir cap OFF but cover the opening with some cloth!!!!
During the bleed action fluid will squirt sky high and will damage the paint.
Do not touch brake handles, just start the bleed action...
1, 2 or 3 times ought to be enough IF you did a good bleed of the system before bleeding the ABS
Haakon     
2000 F650-GS

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: ABS Bleeding proceedure
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
No special bleeding technique required.

Just bleed as you normally would.  Then run the GS911 bleed test, front and back, and bleed again.

It helps to have a vacuum bleeder, but single person bleeding is not a problem.