Author Topic: Service indicator reset not working after bike ECU firmware update  (Read 3875 times)

jwatkins80504

(Modified 6/5/24. To save you a lot of reading. The solution is to set the cluster date/time before you try to update the service date/miles. I will add a reply to my own message below to explain. The message subject has bad information in it, but I didn't want to change it.)

The service indicator reset function is not working. After much thrashing to fix this issue, I think that it may be due to an ECU firmware update that was installed on my bike yesterday (May 30, 2024) by a BMW dealer. This update was to address a recall notification in the USA (24V-011 Gearbox Input Shaft). I am located in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.

Below is some of the information from the GS911 autoscan report after the service at the dealer:
•   Factory I-Level K001-19-03-501
•   Actual I-Level K001-24-07-500
•   Model R 1250 GS (K50) 2019

Looking at the “Actual I-Level”, it appears that my bike now has July 2024 firmware (24-07). Maybe I’m not decoding the date correctly since the service was done at the end of May 2024. So, it seems a bit odd that the level would be July 2024. The last time I took an autoscan was with diagnostic software v2304.2, datapack 237.137. It reported the “Actual I-Level” as K001-19-03-501 (same as the Factory I-Level).

I have successfully reset my service indicator several times previously. Most recently about a year ago using a different version of the GS911 diagnostics software.

I am using a GS911wifi connected via USB to a laptop running the GS911 diagnostics software v2404.7. My bike is a 2019 R1250GS. The laptop is running Windows10. I have provided the laptop with a wifi connection to my home network. The service function to reset the service indicator to a custom date and miles is not working. I didn't try the other button choice for a standard 12 month and 6000 mile reset, because I don't want that configuration. When I click the button, all the option buttons on the right side disappear but nothing happens. I expect to be presented with a screen where I can enter my desired date and miles. I get nothing. I can click on the Home button or the back-arrow button to return to the previous menus, so the program isn’t hung.

I think I’ve tried all the things I can think of including the following:
•   Updated the GS911 PC diagnostic software from 2404.5 to 2404.7. Fails on both versions.
•   My GS911wifi hardware has the latest firmware installed. Fails.
•   Tried with the laptop connected to GS911wifi via USB. Fails.
•   Tried with the laptop connected to GS911wifi via WiFi. Fails.
•   Tried with the laptop having no internet connection. And GS911 via USB. This is the configuration I normally use when updating the service indicator. Fails.
•   Tried with the laptop having a WiFi connection to the internet. And GS911 via USB. Fails.
•   Let the diagnostic software automatically identify my motorcycle. Fails.
•   Manually select my motorcycle in the diagnostic software. Fails.
•   Use the Microsoft Edge browser as my default browser. Fails.
•   Install the Firefox browser and set it as my default browser. I thought that maybe the GS911 diagnostic software was using the browser in some way. Maybe it doesn’t like the Edge browser? Fails.

I wonder if some change in the ECU firmware on my bike is confusing the GS911. It seems that this might be the case. I would be happy to provide more information if it would help to fix the problem.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 10:00:29 PM by jwatkins80504 »

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Service indicator reset not working after bike ECU firmware update
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 04:21:08 AM »
Yes you are decoding the iLevel correctly & July 2024 is certainly odd to say the least

You have done some pretty comprehensive testing to confirm inability to set service date & it would now be worthwhile opening a support ticket with Hexcode  https://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1

You could also open the PC App & upload all the logs, quote the Support Ticket in the upload, that will give Hexcode what they need to take a look at the issue

jwatkins80504

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2024, 06:18:47 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion WayneC. I submitted a support ticket and uploaded my debug logs.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2024, 06:50:38 AM »
Thanks for your suggestion WayneC. I submitted a support ticket and uploaded my debug logs.

Always good to give them something to do on a monday morning  ;D

jwatkins80504

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2024, 10:08:08 PM »
The helpdesk got back to me with a suggestion that fixed my problem. It didn't have anything to do with the ECU firmware version on my bike. They recommend setting the date/time, using the "Set cluster date/time" service function. After setting the date/time, I was able to "Reset service reminder" on my bike. I thought that I used the “Set cluster date/time” button before I got the failures I described in my original message. I may have skipped this step because the laptop and motorcycle already agreed on what the date and time were. Or so I thought. I guess they must be in sync down to the second.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2024, 10:56:03 AM »
Pleased to hear the issue is resolved, still intrigued how the date of the firmware was done by BMW

Perhaps that Dealer is one of the early release sites BMW has in their system