Author Topic: GS-911 Turn on/off pump test  (Read 2226 times)

FBT80

GS-911 Turn on/off pump test
« on: August 16, 2023, 06:28:55 PM »
In an epic diagnostic adventure/nightmare on a 2003 R1100s no start issue, now traced to an faulty Fuel Pump relay, I have this question: If the faulty fuel pump relay does not pass the 12v across to complete the circuit, why would the GS-911 report a "test passed" in the "Turn Fuel Pump ON/OFF" test when it clearly did not do that.?

schuppi

Re: GS-911 Turn on/off pump test
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 06:59:25 PM »
Hello
As far as I understand it, the command - fuel pump on - is reported to the control unit, the relay is activated (test passed).
The user must check acoustically whether the signal arrives and is passed on.
Relay output and pump are not monitored by the control unit.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

FBT80

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 07:07:06 PM »
This was confirmed with the pump outside of the tank, so yes, heard and felt nothing. I'm going to guess it really only senses if the control side of the relay trips.

ps

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 12:34:05 PM »
Hi   I was interested to read about the fuel pump nightmare you mentioned.   Thats why I am getting this diagnostic tool to help figure out my issue..   after changing the fuel pump , my bike runs for 1 to 3 minutes and then shuts off...  it takes 10 seconds until it will run again and its fine for approx 2 minutes when it seems the fuel just shuts off.   It ran fine before the pump change...   was your symptom similar.?   any ideas on my issue ? 
Many Thanks !!