Author Topic: TPMS SENSOR  (Read 2832 times)

RhinoG

TPMS SENSOR
« on: April 03, 2023, 04:00:11 AM »
Have two questions regarding TPMS for my 2016 r1200rt. I dared to replace the battery on my rear tire  sensor, do you know what kind of relearn reactive wake up scaner/device I need for this?
Do the cheap TPMS sensors with out the valve they sell on Ebay work? any experience on this?
Any input on this regard will be greatly appreciated.
First time doing this.    First time I'm going to use my new GS-911.

Ruan

• Administrator
Re: TPMS SENSOR
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 02:40:51 PM »
Hi RhinoG

A very comprehensive post on TPMS replacement can be found below:
https://www.advrider.com/aftermarket-r1200gs-tpms-rdc-sensor-replacement/

The Autel wake up tool is quite expensive, but should you ever trade-in for a new 2022+ GS, the device will allow you to read the sensor IDs, as the new sensors require a test command to communicate with the new keyless ECU (XSLZ03). The XRDC controller is no longer included in the late 2022 and newer bikes, as such, the TPMS functionality is available in the keyless entry.

Kind regards
Ruan

RhinoG

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 02:07:59 AM »
Thank you so much Ruan for this very comprehensive article. Learned a lot.
Rudy

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 02:28:45 PM »
 If you are just replacing the battery on your existing sensors, nothing is required.

Just remove the sensor, replace the battery, refit the sensor and go for a ride.  Sensor will automatically wake up and start communicating.

RhinoG

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 06:47:30 PM »
Oh boy, didn't work. I replaced the battery as careful as I could, went for a ride and nothing.
Now I have to find out if the GS 911 will shut off that pesky light on dashboard.
If not, I will have to wait with those light on (warning and rear tire) for one year at least, when time comes to replace the tire.
Do you know if those sensor they sell at Ebay really work?
As you can see here I'm trying to avoid the quite expensive new sensor.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 07:48:42 PM »
The ones from China are hit and miss.  One of my suppliers decided to bring in 20 to resell.  Of the 20, 2 worked.  The others were all dead.

Borgia

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 07:49:41 PM »
The whole replace the battery thing was a reaction to the overpriced BMW sensor.

There are now much more reasonably priced alternatives to the BMW part. One can try the sensors on AliExpress. One can also get the Schrader (the OEM manufacturer for BMW) 3141M sensor although you have to buy it from a supplier in the EU since it looks like BMW blocked Schrader from distributing it in the US.
Hey BMW: No service manual = no new bike.

RhinoG

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 09:13:11 PM »
Copy that. Thank you. I’ll follow it up.
Got to be something.

ssbn642

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 02:05:57 PM »
I have replaced the battery in my 2016 R1200GS and it worked. Not an easy replacement. I thought it was not successful until I put enough miles on the bike for it to register. I am troubleshooting intermittent reading of the front sensor. eliminating interference since the sensor is so far away from the receiver. I sometimes think am I wasting my time. The main reason I want this system to work is to give me a heads up if my tire is loosing pressure while I am riding. I believe if the pressure goes below 20PSI it will give you a warning.

https://www.underhoodservice.com/tpms-sensor-signals/

Borgia

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 04:51:40 PM »
The whole replace the battery thing was a reaction to the overpriced BMW sensor.

There are now much more reasonably priced alternatives to the BMW part. One can try the sensors on AliExpress. One can also get the Schrader (the OEM manufacturer for BMW) 3141M sensor although you have to buy it from a supplier in the EU since it looks like BMW blocked Schrader from distributing it in the US.

Also one can buy a Schrader 33900 programmable sensor and it will work with the Schrader RDC if programmed for a 2009 Saturn Astra.
Hey BMW: No service manual = no new bike.