Author Topic: NO Fault Code  (Read 3399 times)

e7navy1999

NO Fault Code
« on: March 04, 2023, 11:30:05 PM »
Ok...K1600 I replaced all my plugs and coils Nov/Dec 2022 because the bike was running rough, check engine lamp was on and the GS911 showed a coil Fault Code, Now March 2023 I have a missfire on the riders left foot side.  GS911 shows NO Fault Codes.  I start the bike cold and it purrs, after 1 minute it begins to Miss Fire.  Always the same left side.  NO Codes.  Where do I start to look at before riding season begins?  Thank You

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: NO Fault Code
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 10:10:44 AM »
Sparkplug.

Allow the engine to warm up, then spray a little water onto the headers.  It will quickly identify which cylinder is at fault.

e7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 12:29:32 AM »
Thanks Jughead.  I just put in brand new coils and plugs at the beginning of winter.  I would not doubt your suggestion as I already had two coils go bad since.  How does one know if it is a coil or plug?  The coils I read tend to fail as they heat up I believe

e7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 01:12:10 AM »
Good evening Jughead.  The "finding" the bad cylinder advice works like magic.  I did the water test....water steamed off the good cylinders and dripped off the bad one.  I am guessing the canbus system does not pick up a plug but will register a fault if it is a coil.  I will pick up a $22.5 spark plug tomorrow.  I know how to change a plug now without pulling the radiator 100% off.  One has to first pull the Tupperware, pull the front wheel, pinch off reservoir tank, Open drain and drain about 2 cups, undo the hose closest to riders left knee, remove top two clips that hold radiator.  pull radiator forward, use tiny pry-bar to lift and remove plastic breather manifold.  Use  tiny pry-bar and big Flathead screwdriver to remove coil.  (If you have never removed the breather manifold you would have to pull the radiator as that darn thing is difficult with the radiator off let alone doing it my way). Use a 4ft long extension, sparkplug two swivel sockets and perform surgery.  when finished, just add the two cups back into the radiator and bleed the air

e7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 12:40:06 AM »
OMG when to BMW dealer yesterday to purchase a new spark plug.  $33.15 ....like wow.  it is just a repackaged Bosch Japan made plug.  Insane.  ebay and amazon have the same exact plug from $18 to $22 all day long and the seller is making an honest profit

schuppi

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 01:13:15 AM »
many words to explain free market economy
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 11:34:22 AM »
Thanks Jughead.  I just put in brand new coils and plugs at the beginning of winter.  I would not doubt your suggestion as I already had two coils go bad since.  How does one know if it is a coil or plug?  The coils I read tend to fail as they heat up I believe

The only way to determine if it is the plug or the coil is firstly to find the bad cylinder, then move tat plug to the neighbouring cylinder on one side and the coil to the neighbouring cylinder on the other side.  Wherever the fault moves to is the faulty component.

Yes, sparkplug prices have gone insane.  Sparkplugs I paid ZAR73.00 for in June last year (2022) are now costing ZAR211.88.

e7navy1999

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 09:29:42 PM »
Thanks again Jughead.  I pulled the plug is cylinder #3 cylinder.  when I pulled the plug is was oily wet looking.  I used my "no need to pull radiator" technique and had the new plug in in less than 1.5hrs including pulling all the Tupperware.   Now, bleeding all the air out is another story, that takes me several hours of just letting the engine warm and then let her cool a few times over the course of a full day. .  So, I have successfully replace plugs and coils without draining the entire radiator out.  for the rider's left three cylinders I had to drain about 2 cups.  for the riders right side cylinders I have successfully coils and plugs without drain the radiator at all.  riding season is now officially here in  my area