Author Topic: How to Use GS-911 With Linux or Other OS  (Read 2530 times)

Graeme

How to Use GS-911 With Linux or Other OS
« on: October 29, 2022, 02:10:34 AM »
I received my unit yesterday and, much to my chagrin, had to boot into Windoze to register it (I hate bloated, insecure, slow M$ operating systems, so use Linux). Once I'd done that I spent hours trying to connect using the Windows Wi-Fi utlity, but it just wouldn't work, so I logged into my router and looked up the IP address of the GS-911. For me that was 10.1.X.X (not showing actual address for security reasons); for most people it will be 192.168.1.X. I was then able to log on directly from my web browser (I use Brave) by entering the IP address, which I have now made static so I don't have to check the DHCP address every time. I now have full functionality in Linux Mint via Wi-Fi using any browser. So, folks, you don't have to use Windoze to use the GS-911, except maybe to register the unit, but if can be registered via Wi-Fi maybe not even then.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: How to Use GS-911 With Linux or Other OS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 01:09:14 AM »
You can go the next step & have the router router reserve an IP No to avoid the static IP setting plus use a bookmark rather than entering an IP No

From there you can set up a Win7 or W10 Virtual using the VM system of your choice to have the WiFi Utility & PC App capability

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 01:45:46 AM »
I've set up my IP address as "manual", so it is reserved by the DHCP router. Technically, "static" is when an address is reserved by the device itself, which is not possible with the GS-911, but I used the term "static" as I think people generally understand that better than "manual". I don't use any Windows virtual machine or WINE, because that then opens up a potential backdoor into Linux. One of the reasons I hate Windows is the fact that is is so insecure. I only ever do banking, Internet purchases etc. on my Linux machine and don't want a Windows VM compromising the great security that exists with Linux. Creating a manual IP address for the GS-911 and logging on directly using that address (and yes, there is no reason it cannot be bookmarked) removes the need to have anything to do with Windows at all.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 01:58:52 AM »
I use Linux & have done for many years, you will find there are times a VM & access to the WiFi Utiity plus PC App is wothwhile

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 03:40:37 AM »
In that situation I'll just boot into Windows (dual boot); that way I don't compromise security on my main OS (Linux Mint). I don't do anything in Windows that would benefit hackers. (banking, credit card transactions etc.). In fact I don't do anything much on the laptop I keep in barn for this sort of thing, such as viewing my BMW service manual. I've known too many people who have lost too much money from hackers getting into their Windows systems. The Wi-Fi application didn't actually work for me anyway and I didn't have the time or patience to work out why; the less time I spend on Windows the better. Anyway, each to his own; I just wanted to let people know how they can use the device on Linux, Mac or whatever OS they have without believing they can only use it via Windows.