Author Topic: Rough running 1150GS  (Read 4411 times)

pvlietstra

Rough running 1150GS
« on: April 30, 2021, 11:47:16 AM »
My 1999 1150GS runs well when cold and when warming up. When warm, it started an occasional stumble below 3000rpm and has gotten worse. It is now almost un-rideable. No error codes are shown. I have swopped the Lambda sensor with a known good one. No difference. The resistance plug cap to plug cap is 17.5kOhm (5kOhm for each cap plus 7.5kOhm for the coil). I cannot see anything obvious on the log (but am new to the GS-911 and fuel injection in general). Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have attached the log. The most rough was at time 325000 until it stalled at 335000.

schuppi

Re: Rough running 1150GS
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 05:02:28 PM »
According to your description and the protocol,
I would measure the Hall sensor and its wiring
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 07:52:49 AM »
I would also guess Hall Sensor, given that it only occurs when it has warmed up.

Does the "choke" work and release correctly?  (Actually more of a "Fast Idle" than a choke)

Does the Lambda sensor work correctly between the Lean and Rich values?  You can monitor this with the "Plot O2" function in "Realtime Values"

pvlietstra

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 01:03:01 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
I only recently bought this bike with about 110,000km.
I normally don't need choke, but I did try it. Idling goes up from about 1100 to 2000rpm.
I removed the HES plate and checked the HES with an LED, while twisting the harness through various angles. All seemed fine.
I stripped the cover insulation and found that the HES have previously been rewired. PVC wire AWG22 with wire brade screening and overall PVC sheath was used. Quality of work seems good. I slipped back the brading and wire insulation seems good.
At this stage, I will rewire with silicon wire, although I don't believe wiring is the cause.
I have attached a log showing lambda sensor output. This was done while idling and I did not want to idle for too long as the engine was getting hot. It was running rough when this log was taken and stalled at 335 seconds.   

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:27:29 PM »
Please let us know where you source the silicon wire.  Would love to know.

Did you reset the timing correctly when you replaced the HES?

pvlietstra

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 08:00:59 AM »
Could not find any silicon wire locally (Port Elizabeth, South Africa), but have ordered a 100m roll of 0.5mm2 on-line. In the meantime, I taped up the existing wiring, adding a little extra insulation at the connections, and so far the bike is going well.
I have also found a supplier for the CYHME56 and have measured up the back plate for lazer cutting.  I may just make-up a spare assembly, test it and keep my original as a spare.
I did not reset the timing. I made a mark on the backplate and put it back in the same position.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 11:49:18 AM »
Any luck with this?

pvlietstra

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 12:18:07 PM »
Latest update.
The silicon wire was out of stock. The intermittent problem re-appeared.
I then replace one plug cap and both spark plugs (less than 3000km since service).
I have not had the problem since. The spare hall effect plate project is now on the back burner.