Author Topic: Ok, am I a complete idiot????  (Read 8202 times)

marcparnes

Ok, am I a complete idiot????
« on: December 24, 2014, 05:06:38 AM »
Just received the GS-911wifi for my 2014 R1200RT LC. It is impossible that I can see to plug the bike plug into the GS-911. Here is why: Looking inside the plug there are 3 "keys" that align the two pieces together. Two of them are toward the bottom of the plug at the 5 and 7 o'clock positions. The GS-911 has slots in the plug to engage these two "keys" (for lack of a better term) at the same position which is as it should be. The bike plug has another "key" at the 11 o'clock position. This is viewed with the red tab at the bottom. The simple idiotic problem is that the GS-911 has it's top slot in the 1 o'clock position. There is no way the two parts can engage.

What the hell is wrong? This is really frustrating.

Marc

marcparnes

Re: Ok, am I a complete idiot????
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »
Ted Porter straightened me out today. The plug referred to on the FAQs as being under the seat must refer to earlier models. Turns out the correct plug for the '14 RT is under the r/s side panel.

Marc

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 01:43:33 AM »
Well good to see you answered your own question and proved you are not a complete idiot  :D

The Kostal plugs can be very tight and notchy when you first try to plug into them, on some bikes it is a real pain

marcparnes

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 01:50:56 AM »
No problem. This one plugged in easily. I also sent a picture of the plug's location to support so they can update their FAQ with the proper info. Ted tells me this issue has come up before with guys attempting to use the wrong plug after reading the FAQ. Hopefully this ends it.

Marc

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
I have the web site for 650GS but one of the docs I have there is on diags and diags cables which many other model owners download, little things like this are good to add into those docs so people dont get confused hence my interest

wierpig

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 07:48:47 AM »
I've just registered a 911 wifi and attached to my 2015 RT..No lights on unit,no communication,nothing.Found out from Paul at Platinum bike tec Ireland that I'd attached it to the top box socket under the seat.In my defence,it is exactly the same as a diagnostic socket and it was located under the seat on my old RT!.                                                                                                    It does fit if you persist but no damage done.