Author Topic: BMW software updates  (Read 5844 times)

jeffkyle

BMW software updates
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:29:07 AM »
Does the gs911 show what version of software the bike has installed ? ... and where would I find out if there are updates ( to the bike's software) ?  I understand the gs911 will not install the updates... but at least we would know there is one out there...

Haakon

Re: BMW software updates
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:46:31 AM »
The GS911 show what version of software is installed.
For some type of bikes it may show too much info, but its all divided into sections.
If you take some time "here" you will see screenshots.
Some BMW model specific owner sites have lists of "recalls and modifications".
Or you can do a online search.
The GS911 itself can not give you info re available updates.
----------------
This is for everyone: When posting, please let us know the bike type (model) and year  :)
Haakon

2000 F650-GS

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
Re: BMW software updates
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:14:13 AM »
Feel free to ignore me as I get on my soapbox....

The various controllers on our bikes support a very limited number of program updates.   My '13 GS engine controller, for example, reports a maximum number of 60 program cycles.   I think my old'GS supported about a dozen.  There is a reason for the low numbers.   The controllers have to be somewhat hardened in that the code they are running is expected to still work 30 years from now.   Can you say the same thing for most most consumer items that let you indiscriminately load firmware updates?  I've CD ROMS younger than that that I can no longer read.

Think of putting new software into a controller as the same as splitting the cases to tear into your engine.   It's a big deal.   If it's needed, fine.  But if your bike is running fine using the current firmware why change?   Do you tear into your engine to replace an internal part just because BMW comes out with a newer version?

When I take my bike to the dealer I leave a note with the service writer: DO NOT PERFORM ANY UPDATES UNLESS REQUIRED BY BMW.

OK, I'm getting off my soapbox, now.