Author Topic: ABS throws code 0x480905 after ABS bleed  (Read 3167 times)

txtinman

ABS throws code 0x480905 after ABS bleed
« on: August 25, 2023, 06:32:04 PM »
During my latest service on my 2015 R1200GSLC I did a ABS pump bleed with the GS911 wifi. All seemed to go well, but during the test drive the bike stuttered a bit and then ran smooth, but the ABS warning light was on. Scanning revealed error code 0x48095 (Wheel speed sensor, front, extrapolation). It sounds like there is a problem with the front wheel speed sensor. Nothing looks out of place, so I'm not sure what could be going on. Anyone else see this issue and know what's going on.
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

txtinman

Re: ABS throws code 0x480905 after ABS bleed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 07:42:59 PM »
I've found this:
Code: [Select]
Fault Code Description
The wheel speed sensor signal does not match the determined driving situation, e.g. because of irregular jumps in the speed signal.
And this:
Code: [Select]
Fault Time Condition
The difference between two successive speed values is greater than 35 km/h.
- The determined speed is greater than 411 km/h
Air gap between wheel speed sensor and sensor ring too large.
Externally caused electromagnetic faults during riding distort the signal.
The speed sensor is touching the sensor ring, so no gap. Not sure if this is good.
I don't know what electromagnetic faults there might be or how to determine.
Don't know how to determine differences in speed values.

Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

txtinman

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 07:47:42 PM »
This is what is suggested:
Check for correct installation of wheel speed sensor.Check for correct installation of sensor ring.Check wheel speed sensor and sensor ring for dirt contamination.Check air gap between wheel speed sensor and sensor ring.Perform function check of wheel speed sensor.
I have not found the air gap data, or the functional check instructions. If anyone knows where to find it I would appreciate the info.
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

GS Jim

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 09:24:48 PM »
The sensor should not be touching the ring. This is not adjustable and is set by the proper installation of sensor and wheel. I believe the gap should be about 0.5 mm. You need to ensure the sensor is correctly installed and the front wheel is also installed correctly and the spacers are on the correct side. check function using real time values while having the front wheel elevated and spinning by hand. Also check for any damage to the encoder ring. 

txtinman

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 06:09:26 PM »
The sensor should not be touching the ring. This is not adjustable and is set by the proper installation of sensor and wheel. I believe the gap should be about 0.5 mm. You need to ensure the sensor is correctly installed and the front wheel is also installed correctly and the spacers are on the correct side. check function using real time values while having the front wheel elevated and spinning by hand. Also check for any damage to the encoder ring.
You are absolutely correct. I caused all of this because I forgot to install the spacer on the left side of my front wheel, causing the sensor to contact the sensor ring. During the process I lost the spacer and had to buy that and a new sensor. My blunder cost me $250  :'( and a lot of time to replace it. Had to remove most of the left side Tupperware and loosen the radiator bolts to get access to the connector.
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

lysander

• bitlife
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 10:46:43 AM »
There is a problem with the front wheel speed sensor extension when the error code 0x48095 is present. Even though problems can happen after repair, it's still important to make sure the sensor is linked correctly and there are no obvious signs of damage. It's sometimes enough to just rejoin or clean the sensor and its wires to fix the problem.