Author Topic: Not sure what these error codes mean: wheel circumference faulty and gear select  (Read 4357 times)

ddoggycanada

Hi Everyone,
I've hooked up my bike to the GS911 and got these error codes... but I;m not sure what they mean and what the implications are!
the errors seem pretty frequent, should I be worried?

the 3 error codes are:

XABS : -
Controller Type : ABS Brakes
Controller Name : XABS
Controller : 0F8300
Serial Number : 6307500881
Manufacturer : Unknown
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) : 16/02/05
VIN : Invalid
Variant : K50 + Hillstart + ABS-Pro
Program Count : 1
Program Count Maximum : 1000
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 19/04/05
Kilometers when programmed : 0.00
Number of FW configurations : 3
..HW Electronics (HWEL) :
....Firmware ID : 1299
....Firmware Version : 000.003.000
..Bootloader (BTLD) :
....Firmware ID : 1298
....Firmware Version : 000.002.000
..SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
....Firmware ID : 129A
....Firmware Version : 004.000.001
Fault Codes : 1
|
4809F0 : Wheel circumference is faulty
Currently present : NO
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 3
Logistic(Healing) count : 40
..Fault Code History :
....Record number : 0
....Odometer : 12395.0 km
....ABS time : 766094
....Status Control Unit : t-1188
....Sub Table : 16
....Battery Voltage : 14.65 V
....REF Speed : 25.0 km/h
....Brake Status : 0
....Sub Table : 208
....Internal Error ID : 0
....Record number : 1
....Odometer : 12409.0 km
....ABS time : 939871
....Status Control Unit : t-1188
....Sub Table : 32
....Battery Voltage : 14.17 V
....REF Speed : 59.0 km/h
....Brake Status : 0
....Sub Table : 208
....Internal Error ID : 0

XBMSX : -
Controller Type : Engine Controller
Controller Name : XBMSX
Controller : 0F8B00
Serial Number : 0170265195
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) : 16/01/26
Program Count : 2
Program Count Maximum : 60
Factory I-Level : K001-15-07-522
Actual I-Level : K001-19-03-501
VIN : WB10A040XGZ279791
Odometer : 12422.0 km
Operating hours : 306h 48m 29s
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 19/04/05
Number of FW configurations : 5
....Firmware ID : 08A3
....Firmware Version : 004.000.000
..Bootloader (BTLD) :
....Firmware ID : 0C49
....Firmware Version : 004.000.000
....Firmware ID : 0CF7
....Firmware Version : 026.000.000
....Firmware ID : 1FB0
....Firmware Version : 026.000.000
..Coding Data (CAFD) :
....Firmware ID : 08A2
....Firmware Version : 000.008.009
|
21F662 : Gear selector sensor, implausible signal or value
Currently present : NO
Frequency count : 1
..Fault Code History :
....Odometer : 12416.0 km
....ABS time : 940833
....Gear position sensor voltage : 3.86 V
....Engine speed : 3199.5 rpm
....Vehicle speed : 84.8 km/h
....Throttle valve angle relative to throttle valve stop : 19.53 %

XSAF : -

Controller Type : Semi-active suspension
Controller Name : XSAF
Controller : 0F8500
Serial Number : 0000279433
Manufacturer : Temic
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) : 16/01/25
VIN : Z279791
Program Count : 9
Program Count Maximum : 1024
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 23/06/03
Number of FW configurations : 5
....Firmware ID : 1014
....Firmware Version : 001.000.001
..Bootloader (BTLD) :
....Firmware ID : 1013
....Firmware Version : 001.001.002
....Firmware ID : 1015
....Firmware Version : 007.010.001
....Firmware ID : 117D
....Firmware Version : 007.010.001
..Coding Data (CAFD) :
....Firmware ID : 1016
....Firmware Version : 007.004.009
|
D754A3 : CAN message timeout (Advanced mode from DME)
Currently present : YES
Frequency count : 11
..Fault Code History :
....Odometer : 12394.0 km
....ABS time : 761374
....Record number : 2
....Odometer : 12422.0 km
....ABS time : 1043875

Any help would be greatly appreciated

GS Jim

As this is your first post can we assume that this is a first scan?
Have you had the bike since new or bought used?
Also you should include the model/year etc of the bike.
Is the dash showing any warnings at all, if not record the scan and clear the faults and see if they come back.
What size/brand/model of tires are you using?
Check the encoder rings and sensors on both wheels for any issues.
If the transmission fault comes back do a gear calibration (don't remember the exact term in the GS911 diagnostics page).

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
The wheel circumference error will sometimes come up when new tyres are fitted.  Traction control is looking for a particular circumference which is adapted automatically as the tyres wear.  When new tyres are fitted, the circumference is suddenly different, so it brings up the error.  You just need to reset the adaptions and it will learn from there again.

Ditto the Gear Position Indicator.  Just reset the adaptions, put the bike on the centerstand and run through the gears.  About 5 secs in each gear is all that is required to read the new values.

ddoggycanada

As this is your first post can we assume that this is a first scan?
Have you had the bike since new or bought used?
Also you should include the model/year etc of the bike.
Is the dash showing any warnings at all, if not record the scan and clear the faults and see if they come back.
What size/brand/model of tires are you using?
Check the encoder rings and sensors on both wheels for any issues.
If the transmission fault comes back do a gear calibration (don't remember the exact term in the GS911 diagnostics page).

Hi, yes I'm sorry,
this was my first scan, though other people have been clearing codes and doing stuff with my bike beforehand.
The model is 2016 BMW R1200R LC, and it was bought since new.
 The dash is not showing any warnings /
I've fitted the new R1250R TFT screen using a dongle that lets you connect the 7 pin instrument panel connector to the TFT's 12? pin connector.
With some tweaking using ESYS and ISTA, I was able to make it so that it works (at least on the surface level) on the R1200R.
The only problem being that when the dealer recorded the potentiometer the switching between the Dynamic / Road settings on the Dynamic ESA was receiving too little voltage, and that it may be flickering on and off, causing
So I naturally assumed it was some sort of a voltage issue because of this retrofit...

The tyres are Michellin Road 5, stock size.

I've only used the WIFI version with the GS911 App , is the "resetting adaptions" only available with the PC version?

Thank you so much both GS JIM and Jughead for your reply.

GS Jim

These bikes are sensitive to things like the adding of the TFT and could possibly cause some issues like fault codes. Just clear all the faults and see what happens.
I've had the 5 Trails and now the Road 6 and many other brands of tires from new to the wear bars and never a fault, again, just clear the faults.
As Jughead says do the adaptations. There are several including suspension, transmission etc, go through all the sub menus on the GS911 PC Diagnostics app to find them, check first that the GS911 and app are up to date.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 06:00:50 PM by GS Jim »

ddoggycanada

These bikes are sensitive to things like the adding of the TFT and could possibly cause some issues like fault codes. Just clear all the faults and see what happens.
I've had the 5 Trails and now the Road 6 and many other brands of tires from new to the wear bars and never a fault, again, just clear the faults.
As Jughead says do the adaptations. There are several including suspension, transmission etc, go through all the sub menus on the GS911 PC Diagnostics app to find them, check first that the GS911 and app are up to date.

Do you mean the TFT could cause problems in the long run, or just cause fault codes that are not directly related to the functioning (and possibly safety) of the bike?

GS Jim

I don't think any real problems but maybe the odd fault as this was not OEM installed. Time will tell, clear what you have and ride.

ddoggycanada

Just a little update! I've done the gear calibration

Looks like the same errors (gear implausible value / wheel circumference error)  keep coming up! It must be the TFT screen... sigh...

GS Jim

And you cleared all the codes, anything showing on the dashboard?

ddoggycanada

yes I've cleared all the codes, but I don't see anything showing on the dashboard except for the "current gear" not showing anything intermittently when driving.

botus

• Beta testers
yes I've cleared all the codes, but I don't see anything showing on the dashboard except for the "current gear" not showing anything intermittently when driving.

which iteration of the software is the tool running  - if not on >2304.2  don't expect it to tell u anything sensible - there were some issues on the GS911that made later bikes create issues, due to comms delays to modules when scanning

ooh - I see they did another release recently GS-911Diagnostics-v2305.1.exe

https://www.hexgs911.com/gs-911-downloads/

see last point below, might be related and or some how a comms wobble triggered lots of errors - remember low battery volts on anything with canbus will cause lots of silly lies to fly around the systems..

also for USA riders there's another recall on USA bikes to turn off a flashing stop amp - its illegal there, BM never noticed what the law was - and all later bikes had it - but it must be turned off in the USA

if its an XR

on the S1000XR for USA market only !!! they have a recall to remove a steel bolt they fitted after july 2020 on the ABS module to help destroy it (pre then all markets used a plastic bolt) - but the metal one sends more vibrations to help it die faster - USA found out and mandated the plastic bolt goes back - European riders get to pay for a new ABS unit as per the design improvement....  search   TSB SIB 34 03 20
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 02:08:48 PM by botus »

ddoggycanada

I've also switched my batteries

but encountered the "empty gear selector" error again.... it works again flawlessly after a few minutes of driving but I don't get why this is happening!!

botus

• Beta testers
if the bike is showing a physical fault (no gear selection displayed) you have a real issue...

till that's resolved it could throw any temper tantrum around the canbus, and thus throw misleading lies in diagnostics, highly likely a dealer will have had the issue and know what drives it - everything is full of cheap parts and terrible software these days - it literally could be anything

if you don't help us help you - like giving us the exact bike model, its age, its software i-level and the GS911 tool version you are running - all the chaffing loom recalls and the software fixes the bike likely needs, is going to mean you'll still be typing about the same thing in another year...

ddoggycanada

if the bike is showing a physical fault (no gear selection displayed) you have a real issue...

till that's resolved it could throw any temper tantrum around the canbus, and thus throw misleading lies in diagnostics, highly likely a dealer will have had the issue and know what drives it - everything is full of cheap parts and terrible software these days - it literally could be anything

if you don't help us help you - like giving us the exact bike model, its age, its software i-level and the GS911 tool version you are running - all the chaffing loom recalls and the software fixes the bike likely needs, is going to mean you'll still be typing about the same thing in another year...

Hi!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by software i-level - can't seem to find any google hits but I'm assuming it's something to do with the TFT firmware/ECU firmware?? If so, I will have to check !
THe bike is a 2016 BMW R1200R LC with the TFT retrofitted - and uploaded with 2019 version of the R1250R firmware. (not sure which month/iteration)

The GS911-wifi that I use has been updated to the latest version and the app I use is also the updated one. (2305.1)

botus

• Beta testers
I just read ur bike had been modified - that will create fun with the way BM does software - also some 2016 bikes, gear assist was wrongly installed at the factory

had it been a std bike....

all BMW vehicles (cars and bikes) for at least the last 20 years operate on an "integrated" (AKA known to be aligned) batch of software across all modules fitted on the bike - this is called the i-level (where the I = integration).  As far as I know they are the only manu that do it logically.

All software on all vehicles is a hit and miss joke of part baked madness and bugs - but at least BM have a set process that attempts to get all bikes of that era / i-level release to behave the same way

the GS911 autoscan report will give you this data - then we know how out of date your bike maybe and we can start to cross ref recalls and service actions that might help fix bugs u r finding....

If a BMW (Car or Bike) needs any of its software updated in its various modules - the procedure the dealership undertakes is called an i-level update

There are rare occasions where they are instructed to do this at a service for safety reasons - and its best not to obstruct this - or it may be dangerous for you or other road users - they will usually NOT tell you they undertook this work - they want people to retain an image this activity doesn't happen !

this procedure re-flashes the entire vehicle in one continuous sequence - writing each module in turn - with whatever BMW now prescribe as the current approved software for that vehicle. What changes is dependent on the vehicle and said modules fitted. It can be one module gets an update, and the others just get a new install of what it had, or everything changes everywhere.

The dealers do not pick and choose and don't not know what the changes will bring - they just plug it in, it talks to Germany and it says I need this - and they press the go button.

If any module doesn't take the update, the programming locks up - failing at the module that is being strange. (This is very common on the Cars where non-approved secondhand extras are installed or enabled without the appropriate software license and support fee having been paid - it often gives issues where people have altered the VO - vehicle order). If it dies during entire vehicle programming they have to investigate and repeat, till the entire vehicle is on the new i-level (integration level - AKA the approved bundle for all modules on the vehicle). Its by far the best method any Manu complete. As the entire bundle of software is approved and should be compatible - if there is a bug they didn't know about - all vehicles will have it and so the impetus to resolve is fast and the driver is known - as its not this unique vehicle being odd, (which is the case with most vehicles and is why most are never fixed).

there are three main software release cycles each year - but once a few years out of production it used to be very rare there are further changes - but these days they have joined the normal IT crowd and it turns out every other day they find another new bug - my 2019 bike has been updated 5 times already and I just found out about another safety related failure meaning it should have been updated for a 6th time in August LY...

In the UK (cars or bikes) and it appears at most Motorrad dealerships worldwide, they have always pretended there is no such thing as buggy or update-able software. The standard is to apply the current iteration at point of new sale, then never bother to do it again

You shouldn't get too excited (but you ought to want the latest) - aside from in car entertainment - very few give functional improvements the user can see or feel. But things like minor bug fixes, security, safety and enhanced diagnostic functionality, etc. changes all the time. There's even a standard charge - I thought 30 mins for the bikes and 1 hour on the cars - but it turns out it meant o have a standard fee of 10 minutes labour.

this is a fairly recent list of I-levels for BM RR and Mini vehicles -  getting harder to find.... The bikes are on page 6  K50 (aka ur bike)

https://www.docdroid.net/1b7Ab0w/ista4292x-version-and-i-level-overview-pdf
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 02:17:03 PM by botus »