Author Topic: Unable to read TPMS ECU on 2022 R1250 GS  (Read 3285 times)

DenverD

Unable to read TPMS ECU on 2022 R1250 GS
« on: March 20, 2023, 02:26:49 AM »
Primary purpose for getting GS-911 WIFI is to program wheel TPMS ID's when changing between street tires on factory cast aluminum rims and knobbies on Woody's spoke rims. I want to change the tires and go, without having to go through the routine of changing one wheel at a time and riding it for a while. Secondary purpose for the GS-911 is to read and reset fault codes. Especially when on the road or trail.

Just got the GS-911 few days ago. It autoscans fine, reads all ECU's and any fault codes, allows me to reset fault codes, but it shows that the TPMS ECU is not communicating. Only the TPMS ECU. Unable to read the TPMS ECU, even while the TFT display is showing tire pressures.

Anybody out there experience this? Ideas?

I've also reached out to my local BMW dealer but haven't received an answer yet. Only thing I can think of is the bike software is set to lock out the TMPS ECU from being accessed by anyone without an official BMW diagnostics system.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Unable to read TPMS ECU on 2022 R1250 GS
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 12:37:21 PM »
The simple questions. is the GS911 firmware updated to latest & are you using the PC App or browser ?

The one thing the issue wont be is
"The bike software is set to lock out the TMPS ECU from being accessed by anyone without an official BMW diagnostics system"

Lodge a support ticket with Hexcode https://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1

Borgia

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:08:13 PM »
In the 2022 model year BMW changed TPMS manufacturers from Schrader to LDL Technologies. My bet is the new manufacturer is not yet supported by the GS-911.
Hey BMW: No service manual = no new bike.

DenverD

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 10:54:49 PM »
Yes, installed latest GS-911 software and firmware. Yes, using Windows based laptop computer and the GS-911 app with the USB cable connected. Yes, followed proper procedure for hooking up. Otherwise wouldn't have been able to Autoscan, see everything and control everything. Well, except the TPMS ECU.

Yes, I'd read about BMW switching TPMS manufacturers from Schrader to LDL Technologies. But my understanding is that referred to the TPMS Sensors in the factory rims, not the TPMS ECU. I wouldn't expect different sensors to prevent the GS-911 from seeing and communicating with the TPMS ECU itself.

Got response back from BMW Dealer saying that locking or unlocking the TPMS ECU isn't possible with the dealer's BMW service computer. So, I recon it's time indeed to submit a troublecall to Hexcode.

Borgia

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 12:20:19 AM »
It most definitely involved BOTH the sensors and the actual TPMS module. The two systems are incompatible. Your issue is almost certainly due to the new TPMS and the GS-911 software not yet having caught up.

DenverD

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 11:25:47 PM »
Mystery solved! Submitted a troublecall to HEX Code and received this paraphrased response:

"I can confirm with your autoscan that you've got the XSLZ03 keyless controller. As of late 2022, the TPMS is now handled through that instead of the traditional TPMS module being fitted (we have to include it in the menus still though as slightly older 1250s still have the XRDC controller fitted). This change is currently in beta. The software change is scheduled for release with the next update - most likely end of this month."

I personally don't understand BMW's logic. But at least we have our answer and can work with it. So for anyone else facing the same problem as me, just hang on a couple more weeks for the next software update.

Borgia

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 12:08:54 AM »
Correct. LDL Technologies supplies BMW with and integrated TPMS/Keyless system.

Borgia

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 08:09:59 PM »
On another forum a chap posted a response by BMW to a TPMS inquiry. The chap had a spare wheel set and asked about what happens when only one wheel is changed. The answer from BMW was to the effect that BOTH wheels have to be changed and the new wheel set combination "taught in again by the dealer".

Perhaps when the HEX Code folks release the new software they can clarify what procedures need to be followed by those having two wheel set yet wanting to change just one wheel. Rarely do front and rear tires reach end of life coincidentally!

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 04:16:43 PM »
Hi Borgia

Interesting query, we haven't tried changing one only, but considering that replacing a sensor on only 1 wheel is the same process as replacing the entire tire, sounds to me like BMW are just trying to get another way of looting our wallets.

Borgia

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 05:26:21 PM »
Hi Borgia

Interesting query, we haven't tried changing one only, but considering that replacing a sensor on only 1 wheel is the same process as replacing the entire tire, sounds to me like BMW are just trying to get another way of looting our wallets.

I'll watch for results of your investigation as not every communication from a BMW source is necessarily correct and yes indeed there is a very long list of ways by which BMW tries to loot our wallets. Particularly frustrating for those who wish to do their own repairs is BMW's decision to no longer provide service information. Is HEX Code encountering difficulty securing the information it needs to continue to develop its excellent products?

ssbn642

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 01:40:35 PM »
https://www.underhoodservice.com/tpms-sensor-signals/

I have a 2016 R1200GSA and troubleshooting intermittent or no reads of front tire pressure. Replaced battery in from sensor which was at 20% power so it definitely needed that. Removed Clearwater light canopener3 from can bus and removed battery power from that module. going to try to remove power from my Neutrino aurora plus module. GS-911 not able to identify sensor also. It works sometimes but is way too intermittent.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 01:47:03 PM by ssbn642 »

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 07:35:35 AM »
It most definitely involved BOTH the sensors and the actual TPMS module. The two systems are incompatible.

TPMs ARE interchangeable.  You can fit the latest 1250 TPM to a 2006 R1200 and it works perfectly, and vice versa.  I do it all the time.

Having said that, I am not sure that the 1250 supports 2 sets of wheels.  The older K25s did, but was wasn't the case for the earlier K51 1200s.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 07:38:05 AM by Jughead »

Borgia

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 05:11:34 PM »
It most definitely involved BOTH the sensors and the actual TPMS module. The two systems are incompatible.

TPMs ARE interchangeable.  You can fit the latest 1250 TPM to a 2006 R1200 and it works perfectly, and vice versa.  I do it all the time.

Having said that, I am not sure that the 1250 supports 2 sets of wheels.  The older K25s did, but was wasn't the case for the earlier K51 1200s.

When you say "latest 1250TPM" are you saying that the pre-2023 (maybe 2022) Schrader TPMS uses the same protocol as the now-current LDL Technology TPMS (incorporated with the keyless module)? If so, you are at odds with every other report that I have seen.