Author Topic: Hello from Scotland  (Read 2956 times)

Glenn (adv.rider)

• Beta testers
  • 2020 Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine SE (Gen 3>4)
Hello from Scotland
« on: March 19, 2023, 12:04:42 AM »
2020 Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine SE biker testing out the new Triumph EzCan on XRx Gen 3.
2020 Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine SE (Gen 3>4)

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Hello from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 01:31:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum & selecting an EzCan, test it thoroughly, Hexcode are great at resolving issues found in testing & taking on suggestions from owners for improvements to their products
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 01:35:22 AM by WayneC »

Glenn (adv.rider)

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 01:56:20 AM »
Thanks Wayne. Not sure how I update my profile or whatever to get Beta Tester added, but could I ask if you happen to know how? Also, I’m not sure if it can be out in this board or another, but is there anything about using OptiMate battery chargers with the EzCan ‘plugged in’? Cheers. G

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 02:50:28 AM »
Unfortunately I dont know the answers to your questions as my model is a Dakar with no CAN so I have not played with EzCan at all & I have my own chargers so have not used OptiMate battery chargers, I have looked at their specs etc & they seem good, I would not expect issues in using one with EzCan plugged in

You would need to talk to support re the profile changes etc & it may be a case of only being able to make changes after you make a few posts

My focus is on WiFi, networking & GUI of GS911 as it is kind of what I do in my day job away from motorcycling along with ensuring the old model 650GS & Husky TR650 support is working with each GS911 software/firmware release

van_rider

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 02:19:59 AM »
2020 Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine SE biker testing out the new Triumph EzCan on XRx Gen 3.

Hi Glenn!

How did your testing go? I am also interested to add EzCan to my 2019 Tiger 1200 XCA? BTW, Which one did you use and please share the wiring scheme.

Thanks

Glenn (adv.rider)

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2023, 02:18:41 PM »
Hi ‘Van’ :-)

I have one of the first EzCan’s for the Triumph, which was only approved for the Gen 4 (newer) bikes but which I installed on a Gen 3 (19/20) same as yourself. Initial tests showed everything except the sensor for day/night time running lights, and brake force were working perfectly. I haven’t updated the software since the start of the summer, so they might have resolved those situations by now, or might just have left them as is as the majority of functions worked just fine. As it’s not endorsed for the Gen 3, I just accept the situation and use it as I currently do.

I myself have:
- Additional lights on the front of the bike (cheaper set from Amazon)
- A wireless phone chargers unit
- A double USB charger
- A Keis heated jacket
all wired up, and all work perfectly.

I’ll check the software revisions when I next get it connected to the bike. It was stripped off when it went in for a service (as the garage won’t test with it present). Cheers. G

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 11:27:05 AM »
Hi Van and Glenn

The Gen 3 Tiger will share the same limitations of the 900 bikes, which is just not available on the CAN bus, so we actually can't update to fix that, as it isn't available for reading by the ezCAN.

For Van, just a note, we haven't confirmed the functionality on the Gen 3 Tigers without the update for the Bluetooth connectivity. Glenn went to his local dealer and received an update that enabled the Bluetooth connectivity, and basically altered his cluster appearance to look exactly like the Gen 4 tigers, but with a smaller display. After this, he had the same functionality as the 900 Tigers.

Kind regards
Ruan

Glenn (adv.rider)

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 02:46:45 PM »
Hi Ruan - Long time no speak. Hopefully you are keeping well. I had actually thought you’d moved on when I didn’t hear back on the last testing update, but if you’ve basically figured out that my Gen3 1200 + software update (which indeed came courtesy of the Bluetooth adaptor addition) = Gen4 900, that’s great to hear :-).  At least my feedback was of some use :-).

Both - I just want to point out that I orignally started off with just the bog standard Gen 3 1200 (up until the tail end of March) and then got the "bluetooth/software update" at the start of April, so I'd personally would still say that from what I can recollect, it still worked on my original Gen 3 and still covered the basics :-).  Unfortunately the long term testing was scuppered by the additional of the bluetooth adaptor/change in software.

Van - If you do want to know any more specifics on the EzCan with the Gen 3, I can happily tell you what I can remember, but would say that I have always treated the EzCan as a demo unit and the consequences of any issues would be "on my head alone", but that it has yet to "fry my bike"/has worked perfectly for me throughout :-) .
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 03:14:21 AM by Glenn (adv.rider) »

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 03:02:57 PM »
Hi Glenn

Happy new year!

Indeed, as a result of this, we've opted to not list the Gen3 as supported. The requirements to support it is quite extensive with the software update, and without it, there are much larger limitations than that of the 900 bikes.

Kind regards and safe travels
Ruan

Glenn (adv.rider)

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 03:42:45 PM »
Happy New Year to you too Sir, and hopefully it will be a good year for you and yours.

I’ll just keep using mine then and reporting on any changes that occur with future updates (assuming I can downgrade it to what I find to be working versions that I’ve already used if that need arrives :-).

Hopefully the basic functionality that I use just now (with no day/night changes, no flashing of lights on horn, etc) remain throughout though and I will just continue to class it as unsupported throughout.  If anyone asks me, I will also make sure that they know that about 50% of the functionality is there but that the unit as a while is not supported for the Gen 3s and thus they cannot complain about anything not working ;-)

Cheers,

Glenn