Author Topic: New Instrument Panel Install - GS911 recode?  (Read 3003 times)

Ron from BC

New Instrument Panel Install - GS911 recode?
« on: December 29, 2022, 10:39:26 PM »
Is the GS911 capable of recoding/pairing a replacement instrument panel to the bike's central computer (?) so the new panel will display the bike's original mileage?

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: New Instrument Panel Install - GS911 recode?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 01:08:00 AM »
Always best to specify model, I assume from a previous post you have a '17 R1200GS

Replacement of a new dash purchased from Dealer would require programming & that has to be done by the Dealer ISTA system

GS911 can code parameters but not the initial programming into the bike, fitting a used dash into most models is not possible either

Ron from BC

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 01:15:20 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  It's one of many questions relating to this new product released at the end of November:

https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/rx-5-multifunction-meter-for-bmw-r1200gs/

Understandably there isn't a user review out yet however I'm aware of a few that have ordered.  I'm assuming that this unit will start at zero on the ODO.  I'll also be interested if the install will cause any fault codes and if so will the GS-911 be able to clear them.

'17 BMW R1200GSA

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 01:33:10 AM »
Interesting product from Koso however how it would integrate into the R1200GS is a real question, & the ODO value matching with backup values stored in other ECU's as part of anti tamper would be problematic to say the least & fault codes from that would be generated. Fault codes in the other ECU would be able to be cleared however they would constantly reappear as "ODO mismatch"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 02:33:35 AM by WayneC »

Ron from BC

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 01:37:18 AM »
Understood, one of the reasons I took one step back and will wait for the reviews.  It would be nice the instrument panel info more clearly and it is cheaper than upgrading the bike.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 01:43:23 AM »
If Koso has managed to reverse engineer the CAN comms properly & has an install routine where you ender the ODO value then perhaps that aspect would be covered however it will be only by fitting one that the lessons will be learnt, see if Koso has install & operations manuals & if so read them. Note that reviews are unreliable
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 02:35:44 AM by WayneC »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 04:29:59 AM »
I took a look & the Koso Instruction pdf section 5-12 page 19 seems to explain the ODO aspect

They use the terms Internal & External ODO, a round about way to explain anti tamper backup in ECU's so the backup is "Internal" & the Koso is "External", there are 2 lines of text in the instructions which are relevant

1/ User unable to adjust or clear internal ODO.
ie you cant change the backup value in ECU's

2/ When connecting to the meter for the first time, the total external mileage displays the ODO record value.
ie the Koso reads the ECU ODO value & sets "External" Koso ODO to the same value

You can only assume Koso has reverse engineered the CAN comms to have the ECU ODO values updated as per BMW dash

The ability to increase the "External" Koso ODO value will be as per the Dealer System ability to correct any mismatch in ODO values & only allowing an increase in value is appropriate to stop total ODO value tampering
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 04:32:03 AM by WayneC »