Author Topic: Cannot install the GS911 PC software on my new Lenovo computer. Please help.  (Read 4294 times)

elptxjc

Let me start by saying I was able to install the Wi-Fi version perfectly fine, then updated the tool to the current firmware, and finally ran a full scan, then reset the service reminder until Dec 2025, so no issues with the computer, network, or tool itself. I want the PC version as a backup when working on the bike outside the house, or if there's an issue with my wi-fi. Now, the new computer is a Lenovo Yoga with Windows 11 Home, running Firefox. And my GS911 was bought 10/18/21, with s/n GS3 005 439.

Now to the problem. The final installation of the PC version craps out in the middle of it, with the error message that no internet connection (not the case) attached below. The second file mentions a '401 unauthorized' error that might provide a clue. I also downloaded the error file log, but couldn't post it here (not an approved file). Anyway, this PC version has exactly the same steps as the wi-fi version, and even the same dialog boxes, so don't understand why this PC version is giving me issues. I tried everything, from disabling all firewall and virus/threat settings, to minimizing the level of security on internet options, and nothing worked. Even tried with Chrome (per Ted Porter's suggestion), and same thing. Then tried uninstalling the wi-fi program (in case the PC had to be installed first), and same identical error. Finally tried the older xxx.2 version (vs the xxx.3 suggested update), with no luck. I'm no IT expert, but since I could install the wi-fi version without any issues or changes to the security, it tells me it must be something corrupted on the PC program, but will wait for the experts to chime in. Thank you guys.
JC
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 08:24:45 PM by elptxjc »

WayneC

• Beta testers
The difference between installing the WiFi utility & the GS911 Diagnostics PC App is that the WiFi Utility is one file you download & install, the GS911 Diagnostics PC App installer downloads further components as it does the install & the error you are getting is that the download of the additional components is failing on one of those components. The error message you have posted looks like a possible server issue

You should lodge a support ticket https://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1 , support will then ask for a debug log to look at the issue

elptxjc

That makes sense; thank you, Wayne. I tried that before (support @hexcode.co.za), and they just told me to download it again (of course it didn't work). I just emailed them again, and this time I included everything on the error, so hope they can help. Probably something stupid. Will keep you posted here. Thank you again for your help.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 07:55:36 PM by elptxjc »

elptxjc

Well, finally got a reply from Hexcode, saying to just turn off the firewalls. Apparently they didn't read my message, since I specifically said I already tried that, plus turning off the virus and threat protection, AND lowering internet security to the minimum. And same crap. Oh well. I don't know what else I could do, since I'm not a computer expert. If anybody here has specific instructions on what else to do, it'd be greatly appreciated, since Hexcode was of no help. Thank you.
JC

WayneC

• Beta testers
Reply to Hexcode & attach the error log asking them to look at the error log, also attach the error pics & a link to this thread

On your W10 system you could clear cache etc with W10 tools or CClean,reboot & run installer again as administrator, however it does feel to me like a download issue with the Hexcode web server

elptxjc

Thank you for your reply Wayne. I included everything on my last email, including the log and the 2 errors I posted here. They asked if I had a VPN, and I said never; that it's a new computer with only MS Office, and FireFox browser. Plus everything I did before, including turning firewalls off, and that the Wi-Fi version installed perfectly fine. Then a day later, they just told me to turn firewalls off, and no more replies. Geez. And yes, I also ran 'disk cleanup', and erased cookies with internet tools, BUT I've noticed it doesn't clear them all anymore on this computer. In fact, I don't have to log back in on forums like this, unless I turn the computer off (or close FireFox). So when I come back from vacation, will try again right after turning on the computer, and see what happens. But it also think there's an issue with Hexcode, and not my computer. Will report when I come back next Monday. Thank you again, and best wishes to everybody here :).

WayneC

• Beta testers
Understood re what you have done & excuse my W10 not W11, one thing you mentioned though tells me you have W11 to use Hyrid shut down rather than full shut down & that is why you dont have to log in again etc on forums, I normally turn that off on W10 to ensure clean start ups. Enjoy your holiday, it can all wait until you return

elptxjc

Normally, I only put the computer to sleep, then shut it down on the weekend. But it's a full shutdown. What I meant is when I go to 'internet options' and delete cookies there, they don't get fully deleted anymore, since I'm not logged-off forums. With my old computer with Windows10 Pro (this one is Windows11 Home), everything was erased. Now I have to shut down the computer for that. Or just close the browser (FireFox). My problem is I have to log in on a lot of crap for work, and it's a PITA if I shut down the computer, and need to go to work right away.

Finally, received a message from Hexcode today that they're waiting for somebody to look into my issue, so there's still hope. Ha ha. Will try to register my unit at the hotel I'm now, which is an open network, and see if it goes thru. Wish me luck. Ha ha.

EDIT: Just tried, and same exact error. And I'm not in my network, so the system cannot assume I could use Wi-Fi instead (ha ha). It has to be an issue with Hexcode. Otherwise it'd be a more logical error, not one that there's no internet connection, when there clearly is. Oh well.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 05:45:01 AM by elptxjc »

WayneC

• Beta testers
Normally, I only put the computer to sleep, then shut it down on the weekend. But it's a full shutdown. What I meant is when I go to 'internet options' and delete cookies there, they don't get fully deleted anymore, since I'm not logged-off forums. With my old computer with Windows10 Pro (this one is Windows11 Home), everything was erased. Now I have to shut down the computer for that. Or just close the browser (FireFox). My problem is I have to log in on a lot of crap for work, and it's a PITA if I shut down the computer, and need to go to work right away.

Finally, received a message from Hexcode today that they're waiting for somebody to look into my issue, so there's still hope. Ha ha. Will try to register my unit at the hotel I'm now, which is an open network, and see if it goes thru. Wish me luck. Ha ha.

EDIT: Just tried, and same exact error. And I'm not in my network, so the system cannot assume I could use Wi-Fi instead (ha ha). It has to be an issue with Hexcode. Otherwise it'd be a more logical error, not one that there's no internet connection, when there clearly is. Oh well.

You have done everything you could to isolate the issue, far more than most, you clearly know what you are doing, pleasant change to see

elptxjc

Thank you Wayne. And at least my tool is operational with Wi-Fi, so I'm not that bummed. Ha ha. Hopefully HexCode can find the issue. I'll update the forum with their final reply. Take care.

botus

• Beta testers
MS Edge of the current flavour is a chromium browser... if you don't have this, or worse yet a google infected spyware iteration - you can't install the current GS911 windows desktop app

it was rewritten some time back to run on chrome...  Firefox is not Chrome...  I also had an issue on a beta release struggling to install and it seemed happier with Java installed, but I don't know if that's a must have

WayneC

• Beta testers
MS Edge of the current flavour is a chromium browser... if you don't have this, or worse yet a google infected spyware iteration - you can't install the current GS911 windows desktop app

it was rewritten some time back to run on chrome...  Firefox is not Chrome...  I also had an issue on a beta release struggling to install and it seemed happier with Java installed, but I don't know if that's a must have

elptxjc is installing on W11 Home so it has Edge & the new PC App installs/runs without issues on W7 with no Chrome or Edge
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 03:09:24 AM by WayneC »

botus

• Beta testers
...I guess they fixed that requirement with this

Downloading chrome_100_percent.pak...

WayneC

• Beta testers
...I guess they fixed that requirement with this

Downloading chrome_100_percent.pak...

At no time has the new PC App required Chrome on W7, you will find the components you refer to are the open source system dll's & other components to enable the HTML rendering & inbuilt graph capabilities which the old PC App did not have, there is a big difference between them & a web browser, it is not uncommon to have HTML GUI components in any OS or internal to an App
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:26:03 AM by WayneC »

botus

• Beta testers
hey, I don't write software - I just notice on install it uses chrome and tells you it is...

whether its bits of it or a whole browser, I don't know or care...  (well I do - not a fan of any spyware google in any shape form or pretend legit useful functionality), does it use java stuff too?