Author Topic: Frustration with wifi setup  (Read 4702 times)

johnmh

Frustration with wifi setup
« on: August 23, 2022, 02:51:00 PM »
I have owned this thing for a few hours now and am less than enthused with it.

All I want to do is turn off the service warning on my 2021 r1250gs. That’s it.

I registered it, configured it to work of my local wifi, downloaded the app to my iphone and plugged it into my bike with the ignition and kill switch on. The phone, unit and bike all seem to have found each other. I can download error messages (none) but cannot reset the service warning.

Whenever I hit the special features button to turn off that irritating service reminder, it just tells me it is not connected to the cloud. Whenever I try to connect the unit to the router it finds it, but does nothing when I hit the connect button.

When I ask it to test the link, it finds no errors.

Grrr. 

Anyone want to buy a slightly used gs-911?

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Frustration with wifi setup
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 03:08:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum, a little more info on how you configured the GS911 to connect to your local WiFi & registered it would be needed to assist as you did that before downloading the App ?, once it is configured to connect to the WiFi it saves that & will auto connect into the WiFi when connected to the bike, you should see that with the LEDs on the top

The other aspect you dont mention is checking for any update of the GS911 firmware, if it was connected to the WiFi it would have checked & if an update was available prompted to do the update. There is also the ability to check network/cloud in the menu to assist checking it is properly connected

johnmh

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 07:18:33 AM »
I think I understand the issue. It does not do service resets with a macbook.  As that is all I have, I will waste one more hour on this device, by taking it back to fedex and returning it. What a waste of time.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 02:36:00 AM »
I think I understand the issue. It does not do service resets with a macbook.  As that is all I have, I will waste one more hour on this device, by taking it back to fedex and returning it. What a waste of time.

You have not answered the questions I asked so I cant assist further, there are many owners round the world using the GS911 WiFi & MACs

There are 2 ways the GS911 WiFi can do the reset on a MAC, the first  is using the cloud & the 2nd is to use a Virtual Machine to run Windows & the PC App in the VM, I would suggest lodging a support ticket with Hexcode https://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1 to resolve the configuration issue with access to the cloud

johnmh

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 07:58:01 AM »
Hi, I managed to get the dealer to reset the service light, so I have not touched the gs911 unit for a few days, which has given me some perspective. 

For the sake of simplicity, I will limit my inquiries about the unit on the basis that it is plugged into the macbook, and the macbook is connected to my iphone’s hotspot in the garage. No point in discussing running when I cannot walk.

A few basic assumptions:

The unit does not need to be connected to wifi if it plugged into the macbook and the macbook has a strong wifi connection (which it does)
The unit has been registered properly.
It is plugged into the bike, a 2021 Euro spec R1250GS, the ignition and kill switch are on.
The firmware is updated.
The macbook has the lastest version of the software and finds the gs911 when plugged into it no problem.

The issue is that now that I have updated the firmware, when i want to check for codes I get an error:

‘Couldn’t get data for status.json (code 9)’.

So right now the unit does nothing.  I can test the diagnostic connecter, which tests ok.

When I try to clear the service warning (what I bought it for) I get the error that it cannot connect to the cloud, or the unit is not properly configured. These are not particularly helpful error messages.

I have sent multiple requests for help, sent in my logs to the developers, followed up last week with emails but no response. I may return it, but thought I should try once more before I toss in the towel.

Any suggestions?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 03:46:07 PM »
There seems to be some confusion re set up & the 2 browser based modes of operation

The first is
"A few basic assumptions:
The unit does not need to be connected to wifi if it plugged into the macbook and the macbook has a strong wifi connection (which it does)"

The MAC App does not operate into the USB port, the GS911 MAC App simply finds the GS911 on WiFi & opens the web browser then the menu loads from the GS911, the USB port is not needed & so either use Phone/GS911/MobileNet or MAC/GS911/Home WiFi not MAC to Phone to GS911

Secondly the update updates the firmware in the GS911 not the MAC App

Lastly Modes of operation

Mode 1 is D2D, (Device to Device), with this mode the MAC/PC/Phone logs into the GS911 hot spot to do local simple diagnostics & normally used when out on the road & there is no mobile coverage

Mode 2 is Infrastructure Mode which would normally be used in the workshop where access to cloud server maintenance functions are required & you use

With the phone you would have the GS911 set up to log into the phone hot spot

With the MAC set up the MAC & the GS911 to each log into your WiFi network & open the GS911 App it should find the GS911 on your WiFi net & open a browser to give you the GS911 Menu so use Phone/GS911/MobileNet or MAC/GS911/Home WiFi

In D2D & Infrastructure Mode you then use the WiFi Setup Menu & Network Test to test connection to the WiFi network & access to the cloud server
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 04:03:15 PM by WayneC »