Author Topic: How long/time does it take for the GS-911 and/or bike to learn a TPMS ?  (Read 2931 times)

BruceHarrisJr

Hello all; new here. About three weeks ago I dismounted my used rear tire on my '2020 BMW R1250 GS USA spec and remounted a new rear tire. In performing the dismount I accidently broke the air valve stem. Cost to replace same was almost $70. The sensor was undamaged and I reused it along with a new air valve stem and mounted a new tire. Ever since then I get sporadic error messages on my bike's dash warning me of low PSI and to stop immediately. Whenever I stop and manually check my rear tire PSI it's always at or about the recommended 42 PSI. In using my GS-911 I get no fault codes for the rear tire sensor. However, the GS-911 does not recognize the rear tire sensor. In trying to learn the serial number the GS-911 stays in "learning" mode for what seems forever time wise and I wind up turning it off. In addition, the GS-911 will not allow me to manually enter the serial number. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions! 

Ruan

• Administrator
Hi BruceHarrisJr

The learn new sensor procedure requires the sensor to be awake, I suspect it's most likely not woken up when you attempt this, which would explain the long wait. The GS-911 expects the sensor to either be awake when starting the procedure or that you will wake it up with a wake up tool once you start the procedure.

Usually the cheaper alternative to a wake up tool would be to ride a few KM and park the bike in the garage (still idling), then run the learn sensor procedure.

Something to check however, when selecting Input sensor ID, does the rear tyre ID show as this image?

Kind regards
Ruan

schuppi

@Ruan,
good description. this is how it will work.

@BruceHarrisJr
If the sensor doesn't respond like this, I think it's broken
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

BruceHarrisJr

Thank you each for your help and suggestions. I solved my problem by doing the following: letting all of the air out of the rear tire while on the centerstand and let it sit overnight; following morning I aired up the rear tire to 42PSI and went for a short ride. TPSM is now working correctly. Thanks again!

e7navy1999

I posted a long thread on the K1600 TPMS.  I actually replace my own batteries now for about $1.50 each.  This would not be possible if you do not have a tire charger at home.  I use the cheapo Harbor Freight Tire Changer and made my own balancer.  Honesty the new tires these days are so well made I find it not necessary to change the weights anymore

botus

• Beta testers
....for it to learn a new TPMS, is an interesting choice of words, the bike doesn't learn anything ?   

Teach In a new TPMS, would be less horrible terminology - Write the new code to the ECU is what you actually do - by waking a sensor and telling the bike to look out for a BT code - then write the code the sensor is emitting to the bike  - it never learnt anything at all?

trouble with riding the bike to wake the sensor, is it wakes both up and then you don't necessarily know which is which and or the bike gets muddled...

fake wake up tools are almost free on ebay - but their reliability is also rather random - on both bikes I've done - I code the bike before fitting the sensors to the wheels - using another bike with a centre stand and just tape on the inside of the rear wheel - 40mph and 1/2 mile wakes most of them when the battery is good to go - and then you have 15 mins to write the code to the bike before it falls asleep again

the 20 quid fake Chinese sensors can be shaken in your hand to wake them

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 03:45:21 PM by botus »

e7navy1999

$5.99usd on ebay.  I use this tool to wake up my new replacement TPMS before I install it.  You will need this wake up tool and the GS911 to program the new serial number of the TPMS into your k16.  It only takes abut 3 minutes total.  Once programed you just bolt it into the wheel during a tire change and you are done  https://www.ebay.com/itm/265797259542?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1KFxZtpmHSV63VH-NQxn3FQ92&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=265797259542&targetid=1644837435523&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9029671&poi=&campaignid=16743749222&mkgroupid=138744546207&rlsatarget=pla-1644837435523&abcId=9300842&merchantid=114705353&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7LeBjaij-QIV2RPUAR2qHgRlEAQYAiABEgIbwvD_BwE