Author Topic: Is It Possible to Retro Fit a TPM System to a BMW R1200RS?  (Read 2794 times)

FlakeBlue74

Is It Possible to Retro Fit a TPM System to a BMW R1200RS?
« on: January 21, 2022, 05:26:20 PM »
I have a 2015 R1200RS (K54). I bought it new and it did not come with TPM fitted or as an icluded option. It did have an alarm and a number of other options. The wiring under the rear seat included a blocked plug for the TPM control unit. I bought a used TPM control unit on eBay and have plugged it into the bike. I used my GS911 to access the bike and can see the TPM controller is connected though it has the incorrect VIN number of the bike it came off which had been broken for parts. Is it possible to now configure my bike for the TPM controller to work if I fitted some new wheel sensors when I change the tyres next time?
Looking online, I can see that you can buy all the parts (including the control unit, wheel sensors etc) and retro-fit them to an R1200RT (K52) where retro-fitting TPM is shown in the accessory items of the parts catalog. However, the same retro-fit option does not show up for an R1200RS (K54). I cannot understand this as the bikes are basically the same and the ECU's on both have the same BMW part number? If the option was not originally "programmed" as part of a bike (in its ECU?) does this mean you can never change it or fit things later? As I said, I can see the shrader TPM control unit is now connected but I don't know if it can ever be made to work? Maybe changes need to be made to the main bike ECU/CPU or the instrument cluster controller in order for the TPM controller data to be displayed? Any information would be gratefully received. Thanks Steve