Author Topic: New GS-911  (Read 156345 times)

RegB

Re: New GS-911
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2013, 11:58:29 PM »
I think you are mixing topics here...

the "New" GS-911, is the GS-911wifi, and it is not available yet... as a matter of fact it has not even been released to any Beta testers yet... and no price has even been set on it... So I don't see that you have ordered one...

what you might have ordered was the current generation of GS-911blu or GS-911usb... These are not obsolete, and will for the foreseeable future run parallel to the GS-911wifi

where did you order (so I can address their stock issue)

best,
Stephan

Quite possibly, but this "new" GS911 was supposedly "new" and/or imminent some time back in mid April.
It is now September... and counting...

From what I have read on this forum you release software updates (or new betas) about every 3 months,
so one could expect the "New" GS 911 to be about halfway through its second update by now.
I speculate that adding wifi capability should be a fairly trivial task, i.e. you already HAVE most of the design
done and de-bugged, this is just another I/O port.

Sorry, but this is starting to feel like Windoze 95, then 98, then 2000, then Vista, Win7, Win8.
Many iterations, marginal improvements at best, more typically feature encumbrances that load down what the original goals were... but at least they offered free ugrades to anyone who had paid recently.

Can you do something like that ? i.e. no or low cost "upgrade" to the wi-fi version for anyone having purchased new (old models) in the last n months ?

Haakon

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2013, 12:40:18 AM »
I am a GS911 owner, from way back.
I have no connection to Hexcode, except from being a happy user.
I do not understand why you nag, ask and say what you do?
The "New" GS911 will be for sale when its fully developed and tested, this year or next.
As I understand it both the new (when ready) and old will be "alive" (regularly updated) and for sale.
Many BMW owners will not want or need the more expensive "New" editon.

Haakon

Correct, all the current models that have the 10pin connector as well the the new chassis type referred to as K001 by BMW (with currently are the K48 and K50)

We're working real hard on the new unit and you will see it in action at the MOA

As for an upgrade plan, we'll have to think about this some more... (and you're welcome to make suggestions) - however I cannot see a way to do this yet... (given the size of the market vs. the development cost + cost of the product).

best,
Stephan

Hi,
I'm "new" here and hope to be a "NEW" GS-911 owner soon.
That is to say I have ordered one, they are out of stock, supposedly will be here "soon".

So my basic question is "How "NEW" will my unit be ?"
i.e. NOS (New, Old Stock) or NNS (New, new stock)

BTW, I am paying full price, i.e. not a close out price on a soon to be obsolete product.
tnx.
2000 F650-GS

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2013, 12:41:03 AM »
Quite possibly, but this "new" GS911 was supposedly "new" and/or imminent some time back in mid April.
We have been working on this ALL NEW GS-911 for almost 5 years now... and I don't recall fixing a released date.. let alone April... of 20xx...

From what I have read on this forum you release software updates (or new betas) about every 3 months,
so one could expect the "New" GS 911 to be about halfway through its second update by now.
I speculate that adding wifi capability should be a fairly trivial task, i.e. you already HAVE most of the design
No - it has not been released yet... so it is not behind any schedule of any update... and the current GS-911blu and GS-911usb have had their regular (less than) 3 monthly updates...

Sorry, but this is starting to feel like Windoze 95, then 98, then 2000, then Vista, Win7, Win8.
Many iterations, marginal improvements at best, more typically feature encumbrances that load down what the original goals were... but at least they offered free ugrades to anyone who had paid recently.
whahahahaha  ::)

BTW, what is the serial# of your GS-911?

Can you do something like that ? i.e. no or low cost "upgrade" to the wi-fi version for anyone having purchased new (old models) in the last n months ?

the current GS-911 is NOT being discontinued... and it will  have a LOT more functionality on the K1x and K24 bikes...

then new GS-911 will initially be there to cater for the new chassis of the K001, like the K48 and K50, that CANNOT work with the current GS-911

currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Xchallenge

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
...the current GS-911 is NOT being discontinued... and it will  have a LOT more functionality on the K1x and K24 bikes...
Since you're referring to project names, could you please provide a link to where we can translate those to actual bike model numbers? I searched your site and googled around the net but couldn't find anything, except for K46 being the S1000RR.

Despite being misunderstood by some, I appreciate that you started this thread to give us a sneak peak into the future. Please do take whatever time you find necessary to create the new product with the same high standards as the "old" GS-911, that I like so much.

RegB

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »
We have been working on this ALL NEW GS-911 for almost 5 years now... and I don't recall fixing a released date.. let alone April... of 20xx...

No - it has not been released yet... so it is not behind any schedule of any update... and the current GS-911blu and GS-911usb have had their regular (less than) 3 monthly updates...

whahahahaha  ::)

BTW, what is the serial# of your GS-911?

the current GS-911 is NOT being discontinued... and it will  have a LOT more functionality on the K1x and K24 bikes...

then new GS-911 will initially be there to cater for the new chassis of the K001, like the K48 and K50, that CANNOT work with the current GS-911

OK, taking all that as given - and I am really NOT here as a troll, so I won't argue every point (-:

There is still a problem for those of us who are about to get into the generation of bikes that you don't (yet) support.
Buying a current GS-911 for our current bikes that we are about to trade feels like a bad idea.
$300 or $350 for low/no use in the next few months is hard to justify - - on anything but breakdown paranoia (-:

To some extent the problem is with us (the bike owners) we are "between bike generations", but if you want to capture and keep us it would seem to be a smart biz move to smooth our transition, both technically and financially.

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2013, 05:32:33 PM »
There is still a problem for those of us who are about to get into the generation of bikes that you don't (yet) support.
Buying a current GS-911 for our current bikes that we are about to trade feels like a bad idea.
$300 or $350 for low/no use in the next few months is hard to justify - - on anything but breakdown paranoia (-:
easy... if you plan to do maintenance or other work, buy it... 5 years ago I had a lube service done on a F650GS (Single) in California at my local BMW dealership... cost me $381 ...now if you bought a GS-911 and did one lube service,.. you've already won... no brainer...

remember... no one is forcing you to buy a GS-911...

I always find this ironic... people will buy an aluminium bash plate for $400, it took probably less than 100 man-hours to develop and get into production... and on most bikes it's probably only there for breakdown paranoia... Then there is GS-911, that (I'm guestimating) has over 30,000 man-hours to date ...and you don't want to pay less than that bashplate...  :o

and what happens to the bashplate when you sell your bike?

Hang on... you could have used your GS-911 on 10 bikes... could you have used that bash plate on 10 bikes? and you can sell that GS-911 for (I'm guessing again) at least half it's purchase price.. remember the guys that have the K1x and K24 chassis bikes, are not going to go away over night...  ;) or you could sweeten the deal on your current bike... So many options...

To some extent the problem is with us (the bike owners) we are "between bike generations", but if you want to capture and keep us it would seem to be a smart biz move to smooth our transition, both technically and financially.
Generally we don't have to convince people... the product is so good, it does that for us...

so what do you have in mind?

currently riding:

RegB

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »
easy... if you plan to do maintenance or other work, buy it... 5 years ago I had a lube service done on a F650GS (Single) in California at my local BMW dealership... cost me $381 ...now if you bought a GS-911 and did one lube service,.. you've already won... no brainer...

remember... no one is forcing you to buy a GS-911...

I always find this ironic... people will buy an aluminium bash plate for $400, it took probably less than 100 man-hours to develop and get into production... and on most bikes it's probably only there for breakdown paranoia... Then there is GS-911, that (I'm guestimating) has over 30,000 man-hours to date ...and you don't want to pay less than that bashplate...  :o

and what happens to the bashplate when you sell your bike?

Hang on... you could have used your GS-911 on 10 bikes... could you have used that bash plate on 10 bikes? and you can sell that GS-911 for (I'm guessing again) at least half it's purchase price.. remember the guys that have the K1x and K24 chassis bikes, are not going to go away over night...  ;) or you could sweeten the deal on your current bike... So many options...

Generally we don't have to convince people... the product is so good, it does that for us...

so what do you have in mind?

Well,,,,, Yeah OK right now I am not trying to decide between a bash plate and a diagnostic tool.
If I was still in the dirt and believed the bash plate could save me a cracked crank case within a week vs a diagnostic tool that MIGHT confirm my diagnosis of water in fuel (having dunked in a stream bed moments earlier) the bash plate would probably win out. 
Development and manufacturing costs are largely irrelevant to customers.  Awwww, lets not go into all that barriers to entry stuff ?

No, I am not "doing service" for others and I can't see how the GS911 would pay for itself on "lube service", which I take to mean drain oil, refill, hit a dozen grease zerks, done.  Oh, wipe with oily rag to show evidence of work having been done - the "service mark".

I agree, no force is being applied, it is a take it or leave it situation - I am just trying to evaluate the "need" to part with a few hundred bux on the CURRENT GS911 for the CURRENT bike vs wait until ??/??/yyyy  and buy the WIFI one for $nnn.nn (I assume less than $1,000) which will work on my next bike.
I imagine others have same/similar dilemma. 

To your suggestion that I could sell a current GS911 for half what I paid for it.
A depreciation of around 50% in a few months... lets see, I would have to check, but I don't think even Harleys depreciate THAT fast (-:

What I have in mind right now is a prayer that my current bike will make it to trade in time without a need for a scan.
My new bike will probably go back to the dealer for its first service, which will probably include a full scan and maybe ROM update.
Hopefully you will have a formal announcement and availability date for the WIFI model by then, if not.... well, buying a (now) current GS911 won't help me so I will be dealer dependent - unless another scanner company decides to launch a unit, say Actron ?
I have a car/truck one of theirs that I like a lot, it does ABS stuff too and is not vehicle manufacturer specific - works on any OBD-II compliant vehicle.

My Chrystal ball says a phone app for BMWs from someone else is VERY likely - - and very soon, probably low cost too.

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
Reg, what bike do you ride, and which bike are you considering?
currently riding:

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
Let's just put this discussion into perspective...

Let's assume you are looking into a a new R1200GS LC... then looking at the USA Motorrad site, and I quote: "2013 MSRP starting at $15,800"... now assuming you only manage to sell you GS-911 for 50% ..that means you've used $149...

That's not even 1%...  I have nothing more to say about this topic... so let's end this conversation right here! 

And to show you that we actually DO have a sense of humour, :

We have officially suspended the New GS-911 !

;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPv7l6rZ-7k[/youtube]
currently riding:

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »
Note to forum: RegB has way too much negative energy... This is not a bitching thread...

I've removed his last post.

currently riding:

Dmftoy1

• Beta testers
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2013, 12:59:42 AM »
Oh com'on, I'm about 2k from needing a service light reset, unsuspend it and ill buy the whiner one so he can unbunch his panties.  :)

I'm paying $56 per oil change to reset that stupid light. (4* 56 = 224 . . . No brainier to me)

Stephan, check will be in the mail tomorrow. . . . Just say the word!!

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2013, 03:21:35 AM »
You can please some of the bikers all of the time, you can please all of the bikers some of the time, but you can’t please all of the bikers all of the time.

Development, especially the combination of hardware & software, takes a lot of time, trial and error, grief and pain.
I know, as in a previously life I worked for many manufacturers, repaired hardware and did the odd coding too.

What I find top notch with HexCode, is the fact the product is off excellent quality, the customer-support is second to none, and they take the time to respond.
Even to my silly questions! ;D

I have other brands diagnostic tools, including ones for BMW-only from some mainstream manufacturers, and they basically told me to bin their older products, no updates, conflicting support-responses and so on. Major let-down's in my book.

Instead of b.tching and moaning about when a new product becomes available, it is in my view far more constructive to provide feedback and use the existing products, so HexCode understands our likes and dislikes, our wishes and demands, so they can encompass that possibly in future products and/or software-updates.

Because ultimately, it is us, the existing and future customers/users who build in essence the products, by providing the aforementioned (constructive) feedback.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2013, 07:54:29 AM »

Fortunately for us, Hex does NOT operate like Microsoft that make everything dependent on the new Beta version, thus forcing you to buy the Beta version (even though it's not labeled as "Beta"), and then use that money to fund the next "Non-Beta" Beta version!!  ;D ;D

I don't really understand what the gripe is here.  As Stephan has stated, nobody is forcing you the buy a GS911.  If you don't want or need one, move on. 

Or is this type of comment sent to all manufacturers of products you personally don't really use or want?

So smite me, but if that is the case, get a life!   ;D ;D

fotodadi

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »
Oh com'on, I'm about 2k from needing a service light reset, unsuspend it and ill buy the whiner one so he can unbunch his panties.  :)

I can chip in so the "whiner" gets 2 units!

But please please please un-suspend it!!!

BTW Stephan and the Hexcode crew....you guys are top notch and doing a great job!

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
ha ha ha, thanks guys!  I guess I should pull that video at some point ?  It took 1 day to get a post on the youtube page which said: "I don't get it. Development suspended and a happy face."

..not to mention the amount of PMs and emails I received... But at least now we know, that there are some people that are paying attention  ;D

maybe we should do what the Raspberry Pi guys did... and auction off the first 10 units... serial#'s 000 001 to 000 010...  ;D
currently riding: