Author Topic: Speedomet Fault  (Read 11690 times)

bud provin

Speedomet Fault
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:14:35 PM »
I am working on a 2007 R1200GS on which the odometer is flashing on and off.  GS-911 says: "Discrepancy in values of total mileage between BMS-KP and KOMBI (instrument cluster) The fault is currently present"  Neither the BMS-KP nor the KOMBI have been replaced.  The motorcycle has 40,000 miles on it.

Haakon

Re: Speedomet Fault
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:22:21 PM »
On a much older bike with a much more "simple" BMS, fault codes and electronics.
Speedometer not working.
GS911 told : "Speed implausibe" To me that meant a "ABS" fault
Switched sensor and checked whatever. Never got it to work.
A few months later I had to remove the instument kluster so removed the (ziptied from factory) connectors.
After replacing the cluster the speedometer worked. (have worked for 2 years now)
--------
I am not at all sure of how it works on a 2007 R1200GS but think there are 2 separate wires, one feeding the speedo and one the trip. A third connecton used to check if the saved milage correspond to what is stored in the BMS.
The Kombi is a "clever" instrument unit and check if its installed on the right bike. 
Haakon 
2000 F650-GS

dihoward

Re: Odometer Fault
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »
I had the same error. Unfortunatly the GS-911 cannot clear this error. I had to have my 2009 R1200GS hooked up to the computer at my shop, where they cleared it after telling me that the Kombi was disconnected while I was riding the bike. Not likely.
GS BOXR

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
I am working on a 2007 R1200GS on which the odometer is flashing on and off.  GS-911 says: "Discrepancy in values of total mileage between BMS-KP and KOMBI (instrument cluster) The fault is currently present"  Neither the BMS-KP nor the KOMBI have been replaced.  The motorcycle has 40,000 miles on it.
the Mileage value in the Instrument cluster does not match the backup value of the mileage stored in another module...

this happens when
  • the odometer reading is tampered with
  • module (ECU) replacement
  • riding with the Kombi disconnected (whether intentionally or not)

For safety reasons we do NOT do mileage correction

best
Stephan
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Ghiribizzo

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 11:28:51 AM »
I can understand the difficulties presented if people were changing speedometer clusters to make a bike look 'younger' - lower mileage.

Someone called me with I suspect a similar problem. Full BMW service history, no other work done on the bike but it had failed to start easily a few times and now the mileage total flashes. Trip meters do not.
I've not seen the bike yet so haven't connected a GS911 but is that his only option - back to BMW dealer?
Loud tyres save lives...