Author Topic: Excan dont adjust brighting  (Read 2725 times)

phantom044

Excan dont adjust brighting
« on: July 13, 2024, 07:59:13 PM »
Hello, my motorcycle is a BMW R1250gs, I have d4 and d7 LED lights on the motorcycle, my problem is;  I adjust the light intensity that should work day and night on the d7s through the application, I also adjust the light intensity on the control wheel, but the d4s always remain in one hundred percent illumination, I cannot adjust the light from the control wheel on the steering wheel, I make adjustments with the excan application on the computer, but the light intensity does not change. .I am waiting for your help

Ruan

• Administrator
Re: Excan dont adjust brighting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 12:03:07 PM »
Hi Phantom044

If the D7s are working as expected in terms of dimming, it would be worth a sanity check to move the D4s to the D7s channel to see whether they work as expected in terms of dimming.

If they do, you need to ensure that:
a) the output for the D4s are configured as an aux light output channel.
b) the appropriate dimming is selected, i.e. 3-wire dimming if they've been connected as 3-wire, or 2-wire if not. If, for example, you've connected them as 2-wire and enabled 3-wire dimming, the lights will only be 100% on or off. This is due to the way the ezCAN dims 3-wire lights on the switch wire.

Kind regards
Ruan

phantom044

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2024, 12:37:04 PM »
I changed the cable socket locations of d4 and d7, the result is the same, d4s cannot be dimmed, no brightness adjustment can be made

phantom044

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2024, 12:41:34 PM »
Can you send me a screenshot of the settings you mentioned below?
If they do, you need to ensure that:
a) the output for the D4s are configured as an aux light output channel.
b) the appropriate dimming is selected, i.e. 3-wire dimming if they've been connected as 3-wire, or 2-wire if not. If, for example, you've connected them as 2-wire and enabled 3-wire dimming, the lights will only be 100% on or off. This is due to the way the ezCAN dims 3-wire lights on the switch wire.

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2024, 12:54:39 PM »
Hi Phantom044

the 3-wire dimming setting is shown in this attachment. This needs to be toggled if your light is installed with all 3 wires connected.
https://imgur.com/a/oqRazeU

Kind regards
Ruan

phantom044

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2024, 04:47:16 PM »
Hi again, i checked on motorcycle,cansmart software,three-wire dimming mode is on!! But d4 light not adjustable,changed red circuit socket with white circuit socket,Interestingly same d4 not dimmer!!!!

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2024, 10:15:16 AM »
Hi Phantom044

That sounds like the lights are connected as 2-wire, check the connector that's coming from the lights, what I expect to see would be only the 12V and ground wire coming into the ezCAN, as the behaviour is text book 2-wire connection with 3-wire dimming enabled.

Kind regards
Ruan

phantom044

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2024, 01:29:24 PM »
Hi ruan
I connected the original 3-way socket cables with smart can and socket that came for bmw r1250, I don't have the possibility to connect a double cable anyway, there was no problem after assembling the whole system on this motorcycle at first, the problem of not being able to adjust the light intensity of the d4s started a few months later. Right now, the cables of the d7 and d4 are original 3-way socket cables, but the dimmer problem continues in the d4, I checked the cable sockets again, the result is the same!!!! i think can smart is faulty

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2024, 04:08:14 PM »
Hi Phantom044

I would agree with your if the issue was not persisting when swapping the D7 and D4 lights around, but the problem is following the lights, not the output. In other words, if the ezCAN had an issue with dimming on the output of the D4s (for example, white output), and the D7s were working as expected on the red output. If the issue was localised to the white output, moving the D4s to red would allow them to dim correctly. As you mentioned though, the D7s work as expected and when moving the D4s to their output, they still don't dim, i.e. the issue persists on different outputs, meaning that the issue is with the lights and not the ezCAN.

I suspect it's most likely the switch wire, rather than the light itself. Can you configure the output to which the D4s are connected as a 2-wire output and check whether they are now able to dim? i.e. disable 3-wire dimming in the software. If they can dim, that means it the switch wire coming from the lights/the connector pigtail to which the D4s are connected.

Kind regards
Ruan