Author Topic: Disappointed GS911-WIFI - hope some new features are added... (Long rant TLDR)  (Read 3517 times)

strangedays

A few things first - can someone change the registration question - i actually had to google if BMW sold Husqvarna to Lotus... anyhow...

So honest truth I'm pretty disappointed in my GS911 tool - [2022 BMW S1000RR]  for such an expensive tool it doesn't really do much...  here was my amazon review - and posting it here so perhaps things can be improved or more functionality added - especially something approaching the cost of a average budget laptop.

supposedly the "best" tool - not impressed at all (wireless functions barely worked) not worth the $

Reviewed in the United States on June 14, 2024
Verified Purchase

Still debating if i should return this - totally NOT worth the price tag - in IDEAL conditions in my driveway has serious issues connecting to the WIFI and DD modes on 2022 BMW -- took about 45 min to get things even somewhat working...

Eventually I ditched the WIFI and DD modes and hooked it straight up to a computer by USB to get any kind of success.

Guess i could have saved myself 100 and just gotten the USB version. and yes i also tried updating the firmware on the device just to make sure but it kept disconnecting despite being literally less than 6 inches away from the mobile app. Tried 5G (internet) + cell hotspot : kept disconnecting after about 82% , also tried just WIFI (no internet) and also built in Direct Device mode (with and without internet) - if this thing cant or can barely save me im my driveway in the city how it is going to help me on some adventure or trackday when no internet is available.

This is truely sad took so long and so many attempts to read the stuff from my bike that had to turn on the engine as battery was draining - as the app also stops/complains if battery is lower than 12.2v.

im going to research some more - ive had OBD2 readers before and this is just not at all what i expected - what a hassle and pretty much guarantees im going to have to take some sort of windows laptop with me as android (ver 12) very unpleasant experience with the wireless on the GS911wifi ... maybe i should have gotten something from "MotoScan" instead - may very well still do that as the price point on what i think your getting is pretty ridiculous ... (wouldn't be surprised if this thing was just the original raspberry-pi with nice case)

So on top just basic functionality working better i think that the tool should also be capable of customizations  like the  $40.00  "Carista OBD2 dongle".... you know  allowing one to do things like to disable those annoying beeps/pings your car makes - if i can program my trucks ecu to do things like "ignore driver safety belt warning" and a multitude of other safety related stuff, (driver assist, instruments/display/nav, misc sensors) as well as setting default environmental options (lighting, heat, ac, etc) --  all at $40...    that for an order magnitude price difference; ergo, $400+ for the basic USB GS911 you think it would allow you to tell the ECU to disable or ignore warnings (not throw them on dash or even report them at all)  regarding headlamps disconnected, turning signals disconnected or anything else one would normally do when going to the track. Im know some customizations are possible - but guess i was just looking for more out of this GS911-WIFI which at $500 left bad taste behind as the WIFI took forever to work think i was out there so long my battery was getting low after 45 minutes of trying to get it to work in a few different configurations (WIFI vs DD) - i simply gave up and i pulled out my work laptop and just used the USB feature to do what needed to be done.

Im sure a lot of work goes into the development i guess i was just expecting more options based on the cost... could have paid for a few other days at the track. And now that im thinking of it it would be prob cheaper to go to the dealer to reset the service code a few times (~10-13) before the device would pay for itself.. Again not seeking to negate the hard work that goes into this but rather seeking to inspire - to see how else it could be used ...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 05:21:18 AM by strangedays »

WayneC

• Beta testers
The first step with any device is to learn to configure it

There are 2 ways to set up connection into your home WiFi
1/ Use d2d to enter your SSID/Password & then click connect
2/ Download & Install the GS911 WiFi Utility & enter SSID/Password & then click connect

I would not expect a very fast WiFi connection for any device from a driveway

When doing diagnosis on a bike always connect a charger/power supply to maintain battery voltage

The functionality available is considerable & easier to use than the BMW Dealer system which is why many Dealers purchase & use the GS911, at the end of the day though the ability of any diagnostic device is constrained to what the manufacturer of the vehicle allows in the vehicle ECU firmware

strangedays

There are 2 ways to set up connection into your home WiFi
1/ Use d2d to enter your SSID/Password & then click connect
2/ Download & Install the GS911 WiFi Utility & enter SSID/Password & then click connect

I would not expect a very fast WiFi connection for any device from a driveway

Yes i tried all this (got it all setup before even trying it on bike), and yes very strong signal in driveway, even tried a mobile hot-spot as well  :(
will try more tests - but know that if im in a bind always good to have laptop on hand as wireless wasnt reliable...

connect a charger/power supply to maintain battery voltage
Yes i had a trickle charger but didnt believe it was putting out enough juice  (my headlamp fuses are still in)

the ability of any diagnostic device is constrained to what the manufacturer of the vehicle allows in the vehicle ECU firmware
Very true....