Author Topic: ZFE  (Read 9406 times)

Dann

ZFE
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:58:14 PM »
This is not directly related to the GS-911 but since you guys seem to know a lot about the electronics of these bikes, you might know the answer.

Apparently the ZFE can only be updated a limited amount of times. Is this true?

If so, how many times?

Is there any official documentation mentioning it?

Thanks

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: ZFE
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:57:37 AM »
Each programmable ECU has a limit of the number of times it can be programmed. It is in part determined by the maximum number of write cycles on the type of memory used and how long they expect the ECU to last in service. BMW started out very conservative on the number of reprograms  and increased it on some ECU's over time as field experience showed how well they stood up. Some of the latest ECU's are shown as unlimited. You will only see the info on max reprograms on screen when programming with the Dealer Diags system as far as I am aware.

In terms of the ZFE I have not seen the number for reprogramming but would not be surprised if it varied with the manufacturing date of the ZFE

What I have learned about the ZFE Basic is it is poorly designed, very difficult to dis assemble for repairs and has no micro filter on the vent at the top which means poor quality air gets in there and eats away the circuit board
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:01:18 AM by WayneC »

Dann

Re: ZFE
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
Thanks.

You will only see the info on max reprograms on screen when programming with the Dealer Diags system as far as I am aware.

This could be a nice feature to add to the GS-911