Author Topic: 3-Pin TPS Test  (Read 7983 times)

mst27370

3-Pin TPS Test
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:49:08 PM »
I'm using the stand-alone 3-pin tool on an R1100RT. I ran the Engine and ABS fault code reads and I got the standard HES codes from the Motronic and no ABS faults.

The first time I ran the TPS Adjustment test I got normal results; at idle position I got a blue screen with text saying the TPS was good, when I moved the throttle it changed to grey and text says setting is incorrect.

A couple of days later, when I go back to the TPS Adjustment screen to show the tool to a friend all I get is a blank grey box. There is no text on the box and it doesn't change if I move the throttle. There's a little icon in right lower corner that is flashing green and red. I followed all of the on screen prompts for ignition off and on and the bike is in the run condition - the Engine and ABS tests are working. What happened to the TPS test?
Michael

schuppi

Re: 3-Pin TPS Test
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 11:46:48 AM »
"and the bike is in the run condition"

Hello Michael,
TPS adjustment and reading only with ignition on, not running.

Please go back to start window for engine and run TPS reading again. Hope this helps.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

mst27370

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
I tried to make that clear - the bike was NOT running, it was in run condition... key on, side stand up, transmission in Neutral, kill switch in run position. Everything was where it was supposed to be, same as my previous TPS test but now I'm getting just a grey box.
Michael

schuppi

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
Hi,
as I tried to explain, if you want to do the TPS reading, do it first!

After reading the fault codes, go back to choosing the bike > select R1100RT > engine > and do the TPS reading.
If there is no way to read, maybe the TPS is out of range in case of a sticking throttle cable?
Any fault codes appeared after trying TPS adjustment? Of course without cycling the ignition!

Did this help?

Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

mst27370

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 03:49:04 AM »
Hey, thanks for the reply.  I tried to execute the TPS test first and no change - still just a grey box.

I will put this on hold for a few days.  I plan to do a valve clearance check in a few days along with an oil and gear oil change. At that time with the fairing off the bike I'll have access to the TPS and to the throttle cables. I'll recheck the TPS voltage, cable free play and then check the TPS Adjustment test again.
Michael

mst27370

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 06:05:26 AM »
I checked the voltage setting on my TPS. It was set at .385 which is where I set it a couple of years ago. There was akso enough free play at the left throttle cable. I reset the TPS voltage to .370 and the 3-Pin TPS test worked fine. I also checked the TPS good/no-good status with an LED directly at the diagnostic plug, this also worked correctly.

So, I get it. The TPS set to .385 is too high to start the TPS Adjustment test. What I don't get is that the test worked the first time I tried it and then would not work on any subsequent attempts. The TPS setting did not change in two years but the test worked once then would not work again.
Michael