Author Topic: GS650 Dakar  (Read 11373 times)

kjhunt

GS650 Dakar
« on: June 23, 2013, 11:11:21 AM »
Any advice please and forgive me if this is posted on the wrong board... not got the hang of this yet..
I have a GS650 Dakar, 2002 model and mostly every thing is fine with it, until the other day i change the spark plug and put a new air filter in and went to switch on the bike to heat it up to change the oil. Upon which the motor started up with a very loud knocking sound from within and on the dash board the oil light would not go out. Each time I switch on same problem. Nothing shows up on the GS-911 as faults so I really do not know what is happening. Just wondering if the oil pump has gone or something else.
Any advice on this would be grateful.
Many thanks Ken Hunt

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: GS650 Dakar
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 08:02:47 AM »
Hi Ken

If the GS911 does not pick up any faults it means that the problem is mechanical.

From your description, it certainly sounds mechanical.

Possibilities are:

Collapsed oil Filter (Remove and check/replace)
Blocked Valves (See 1 below)
Stripped Oil Pump Gear (See 2 below)

1:  Once you have removed the oil filter, remove and check the 2 valves behind the filter. 

Note that an impact driver is required to remove them without damaging them.  If all appears clean, replace them or clean them if necessary.

2: The 650 motor has 2 oil pumps, the pressure pump to pump oil around the motor, the other to scavenge the oil from the bottom of the motor (sump) and transfer it to the oil tank.  In the photo below, the red arrow is the pressure pump, the green arrow the scavenger pump.

Both these pumps are driven by plastic gears.  It is possible that the pressure pump gear has stripped, or is at least missing a few teeth where the drive gear is now engaging.

You can check the operation of the pump.  If you turn the upper gear (Can't remember in which direction) the oil should flow out of the small hole directly between the two valves in the top photo.

These pumps can be removed from the left hand side of the motor.  Both however, are located behind the clutch basket, which needs to be removed first.

Clutch cover removed with basket in place.

Note too that before the clutch cover can be removed, the oil return pipe needs to be removed.  While the cover is off, it is worth checking the water pump gears, which are located a little forward of the oil pump gears.  These are also plastic and tend to loose their teeth in old age as well.
Water pump drive gear (Blue Arrow)  The driven gear will be on the impeller shaft located in the cover.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:09:28 AM by Jughead »

kjhunt

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »
To the guy who comes under the heading as Jughead,
I would like to say many thanks foryour help on this matter of the GS650 and the way you presented it too. I am really grateful.
I will give it a try what you said towards the end of the week, or weekend depending on the weather here... Will let you know what happens.
Again many thanks Ken.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
To the guy who comes under the heading as Jughead,

Right on the button there, Ken!  ;D ;D

A pleasure.

Regards
Guy

Xchallenge

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
The odds that something completely different happens in total synchronization with service work are very low.

Considering that the only things reported to yet have changed are: a new spark plug and a new air filter, my bet would be on an incorrect (too long) spark plug as already suggested to you on the mailing list.

Always try the simple things first.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:08:42 PM »
The odds that something completely different happens in total synchronization with service work are very low.

Agreed.  However, a spark plug would have to be seriously longer to make contact with the 650's piston.  It would also not account for the oil pressure light that remains on while the motor is running. 

All symptoms he has presented point to a lack of oil pressure.

Haakon

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 04:55:23 AM »
Fully agree with "Jughead".
"Knocking noise" AND a oilpressure light thats ON is bad news.
(a knocking noise can be caused by several things but as it "started" at the same time the oil pressure warning light stayed on it MUST be "investigated"- I do not believe in thats sort of coincidents!
------------
Do you have more information?
(I admit I have not read everything)

Re what "Jughead" said of the valves in the oilfilter housing: to remove the valve plugs can be almost impossible on some bikes.
I would have the bike in gear and with the sidestand down- Then push the starter- the the engine will be turned by the starte motor but NOT start. (minimal strain on the engine parts so no damage if there are no oilpressure)
Do this with the filter housing open to see if oil is emerging.
Its just the firts step - and easy to do. (before opening the clutch cover)

MODIFED- keep the clutch handle pulled when doing this :-)))

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:08:13 AM by Haakon »
2000 F650-GS