Author Topic: 1200 GSW Accesories Can Opener  (Read 30129 times)

German Larrain (Chile)

• Beta testers
1200 GSW Accesories Can Opener
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:16:31 PM »
Does anyone know or done a non-BMW accessory installation, where you can command its functioning through existent BMW bike switches, levers, wheel, etc. i.e.  Fog lights that turns on each time you press the high beam light.
There is a company that do offer an auxiliary lights Kit, that include, what they call a Can Opener, which allow to program at the same CAN-BUS (or should be Line-Bus if 1200GSW) BMW protocol. On top of that, using the same can-opener module you can program and drive additional accessories, i.e a Horn.
The company is Clear Water Light  and the product is CANopener module provides a plug-and-play solution to integrate control of the company's lineup of high-performance lights directly into the bike's existing switchgear. They don't sell the module alone, you have to buy the light kit, and there not cheap.
I believe this is a great new !!!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:15:33 PM by StephanT »

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
Re: 1200 GSW Accesories Can Opener
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 08:12:45 PM »
It is not that new.. We had a conversation with them some years ago (when they were a stand opposite us at the BMW MOA), and I mentioned to Glenn that we had done something like that as a prototype already - even offered to help them....  :)

That being said, their system only works on the R1200 LC as far as I know.. (it's been a while since I checked the details)... - HOWEVER, you might be interested to know that we are beta testing a similar Product...:
  • Connects to Battery,
  • Connects to the CAN-bus (simply plugs in, and covers ALL CAN-bus models, starting from R1200GS of 2004 to all the latest models of 2015!)
  • 4 outputs:
    • - 2x front LEDs (Left and right) - for you to use on ANY LED lamps of your choice
    • - 1x Ignition output
    • - 1x Aux/Brake light output
Some features:
  • All output channels have configurable output fuses (for each channel)
  • programmable OFF-delay on ignition output
  • optional strobing on Horn and Flash-to-Pass
  • Setting the brightness levels for High beam and Low beam (for both Day and Night mode)
  • Driving Auxiliary brake lights (including optional 4Hz/5Hz flashing and optional flashing on harsh braking)
  • Uses all the bike's switches - no additional switches to fit!

sound interesting?   :o

...just saying... :D

best
Stephan
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:45:30 PM by StephanT »
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

German Larrain (Chile)

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:58:21 PM »
    Stephan, great project, you can count on me for test. Definitely it will be a great jump forward, in the integration of non-BMW accessories to the bike, eliminating all the extra wiring, relays, etc. One important advantage, compare to competitors, might be that, (I assume) doesn't require to buy any accessory, to get the unit. Interesting, that these days, it is more possible than in the past, giving some actual accessories have less electric consumption, (i.e.LED lights), so they can be drive or command directly from the bike, eliminating the need of relays, cables, etc.

Along this subject, it can be fantastic if this unit or the actual interface, can provide the functionality of reconciling (harmonizing) the installation of BMW accessories.  Today,at least in my country, you we need to go trough the BMW dealer, forcing to buy the accessory from them. i.e. GPS, LED Lamps, etc.

txtinman

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 03:58:46 AM »
Stephan,

Where will you announce this new product of yours? It sounds very interesting.

Mike
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

ilpo

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 07:12:29 AM »
Very interested as well!

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:38:23 AM »
Stephan,

Where will you announce this new product of yours? It sounds very interesting.

Mike
not sure yet... it still needs a sexy shell... before it's done... gone are the days when a square black box was a good enough housing...  ;D

best
Stephan
currently riding:

German Larrain (Chile)

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:50:41 AM »
If I may make a suggestion, IMHO epoxy or silicon embedded will cover the waterproof need, and believe that considering the unit will be hidden, the look is not that important. A relay keep being a Black Box.
Best

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 03:52:58 AM »
Hammond make sexy black boxes with curved corners  ;D

BManiac

• I'm not here, I'm riding!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 03:17:14 AM »
Hi all,
         I bought the Darla lights from Clearwater with the Canbus setup, it works very well with the wonder wheel to set the intensity. You can also program it to strobe if press the horn or the hazard button. Yes, it's not cheap but works great, compatible with Canbus, small and very bright and 10 power setting for low light setting.
Dr. BManiac

Flyingfinn

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »
HOWEVER, you might be interested to know that we are beta testing a similar Product...:
  • Connects to Battery,
  • Connects to the CAN-bus (simply plugs in, and covers ALL CAN-bus models, starting from R1200GS of 2004 to all the latest models of 2015!)
  • 4 outputs:
    • - 2x front LEDs (Left and right) - for you to use on ANY LED lamps of your choice
    • - 1x Ignition output
    • - 1x Aux/Brake light output
Some features:
  • All output channels have configurable output fuses (for each channel)
  • programmable OFF-delay on ignition output
  • optional strobing on Horn and Flash-to-Pass
  • Setting the brightness levels for High beam and Low beam (for both Day and Night mode)
  • Driving Auxiliary brake lights (including optional 4Hz/5Hz flashing and optional flashing on harsh braking)
  • Uses all the bike's switches - no additional switches to fit!

sound interesting?   :o

...just saying... :D

best
Stephan

Any updates on this project?

I can honestly say, as soon as you guys make this available, I'll be buying one.

Mikko

BManiac

• I'm not here, I'm riding!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »
It's interesting but they are on the market "cleawater" for quit some times now and you guys just have a beta vesion. When you expect to come on the market, that's the question?!
Dr. BManiac

Flyingfinn

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 06:52:17 PM »
It's interesting but they are on the market "cleawater" for quit some times now and you guys just have a beta vesion. When you expect to come on the market, that's the question?!

Clearwater doesn't sell the Canopener separately, you can only get it as a apart of a very expensive kit.

eichi

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »
Hi Stephan

Any news regarding this very interesting solution?

Kind regards
Sebastian

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 01:34:29 PM »

Clearwater doesn't sell the Canopener separately, you can only get it as a apart of a very expensive kit.
Well I guess now is a good time to ramp up the feedback on this project ;-)

remember we make a GS-911... and that has kept us pretty busy... I had discussions about this with Glenn from Clearwater at one of the MOA's ... we had our proof of concept then already.. it was just a matter of prioritizing the development/industrialization...

There are sooo many people that want to use their own lights of choice... and there are very few options for them... and that is what we'll be offering...  AND userfriendly setup and configuration... :D

best
Stephan
currently riding:

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »

Anyone done the maths to see what the same clearwater lights cost for a non-wethead... vs  wethead with the canopener...?  i.e. the cost of the canopener...

currently riding: