Author Topic: How to Sync?  (Read 11621 times)

Michael B

How to Sync?
« on: March 17, 2015, 04:22:53 AM »
I have a 2011 R1200 RT, your UBS GS-911, and a TwinMax Sync tool .  Can't find any detailed step-by-step info on synchronizing my fuel system.  I was told I had to get something zeroed first using my GS-911 before balancing with the Twin Max.  Could someone please explain what that "something" is, what does zeroing it mean, how do I find it within the GS-911 program, and how do I do it?  I would also appreciate any link for detailed step-by-step info on how to do the actual sync using the TwinMax too.  Thanks very much! 

Michael B

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
Re: How to Sync?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »
Michael, on your bike the only thing you can adjust is the off idle sync and you do that by adjusting cables.  The bike takes care of syncing at idle by adjusting stepper motors.  You can use the GS-911 to perform an Idle Actuator Calibration.  That makes sure that the throttle setting are where the bike thinks they are.   If  the sync is not within BMW specs (a 25 mbar difference is allowed) then your your valves are off or you've an air leak or something like that.   There is nothing you can do to adjust the idle sync.

To adjust the off idle sync you first make sure there is slack in the throttle cables. Than, after getting the bike to operating temperature bring the throttle up to between 1400 and 1800 RPM and adjust one side's cable (BMW says to adjust the right side) to get balance between the two sides.

If I got anything wrong I'm hopeful that someone else will jump in with corrections.

Michael B

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:05:25 AM »
Thanks, that was helpful.  BUT, where in the GS-911 program is the Idle Actuator to be Calibrated?  Is that the thing that must be "zeroed" before doing an off-idle sync?  Don't mean to ask dumb question...just want to make sure I do the procedure correctly and not mess up anything.  Thanks again.

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 05:06:25 AM »
Nothing HAS to be zeroed to check off idle sync.   No zeroing mentioned in the BMW RepROM, for example, unless you consider making sure you have throttle cable slack at both throttle bodies zeroing.

It's been a while since I used the non-wifi version of the GS-911 and I don't remember the exact location of the item.  Try  R Series -> R1200RT -> Functions -> Idle actuator calibration.  Follow the on-screen instructions.

Michael B

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »
Marchyman,  got it!  That should do it.  Appreciate the advice...take care.  Michael B