Author Topic: Service functionality on the GS-911 WiFi  (Read 15294 times)

OomD

Service functionality on the GS-911 WiFi
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
I know that the mobile apps only support emergency access, and no service related functionality (resetting date, calibrations, etc). But that was because of the impact of having to delevop mobile application for each platform, and not all platforms were supported.

Things are different now with the WiFi capable unit, all the development that is needed to support service functionality happens in the GS-911 unit only... there is no need to develop applications for mobile devices any longer for this, as it happens inside the browser of the mobile device.

So now the question is, is service mode planned for the Web browser mode (the mode used by the mobile devices) of the GS-911 WiFi in future? I mean, there is no technical reason not to add this now?

TAJL

Re: Service functionality on the GS-911 WiFi
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 01:26:20 AM »
Take a look on their site.........this is what it says.

In 2015 we will progressively introduce the GS-911wifi CLOUD functionality.  Using any device with a browser and wifi (Android phone/tablet, iPhone/iPad, MAC, etc.), that also has internet access, you will soon be able to connect to the HEX CLOUD.  This will give you the same SERVICE functionality that was previously limited to the Windows PC version.  Be sure to keep an eye on this evolving functionality!

OomD

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:54:31 AM »
I saw that, yes. But this requires internet connectivity. That in itself is okay for workshop environments, but does not help if you don't have internet coverage.

One of the marketing points of the GS-911 is being able to use it while you're out riding. Say on a long tour, and you don't have internet coverage, you're then still limited to reading and clearing fault codes basically.

Finally, hosting a server for this cloud functionality of their will cost money. So is the cloud service going to be subscription based?

In my opinion, the cloud based service is a great idea! But for professionals, not for enthusiasts.

strataj

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »
I'm new to the forum and haven't used the GS911 much and I may be missing your need or concern but the GS911 does work via wifi with your smart phone or tablet.  You can see and clear faults.  I have a 14 R1200RT so not much else you can do today other then reset the service reminder, this does require use of a PC (not a MAC guy so not sure if they can reset service reminder of not)
Jay
14R1200RT
05DL650
Wills Point, TX

txtinman

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 01:46:08 AM »
You have to use the Windows application to reset the service reminder and run other tests. Resetting faults can be done with the browser from any device. I think that's correct.  :-\

Mike White
Lorena, TX
Mike White
GS911 WIFI Enthusiast
2015 BMW R1200GSLC

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »
I saw that, yes. But this requires internet connectivity. That in itself is okay for workshop environments, but does not help if you don't have internet coverage.

One of the marketing points of the GS-911 is being able to use it while you're out riding. Say on a long tour, and you don't have internet coverage, you're then still limited to reading and clearing fault codes basically.

Finally, hosting a server for this cloud functionality of their will cost money. So is the cloud service going to be subscription based?

In my opinion, the cloud based service is a great idea! But for professionals, not for enthusiasts.
Emergency functionality is available offline... I see very little reason why you would need to service your bike where you don't have internet access...

We have several overland (more correct would be over-world) travellers that use our product... and even after almost 60 countries and I've forgotten how many hundred thousand miles... they yet have to have a breakdown that they can't help themselves with their GS-911... even through the Sahara, down central Africa... and up and down South America...

...just saying...  ;D
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 04:35:31 PM »
A basement car park in a high rise apartment block in the middle of a city perhaps ?  ;D

Then there is the 90% of our land mass not covered by mobile systems also comes to mind  8)

OomD

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 04:55:35 PM »

Emergency functionality is available offline... I see very little reason why you would need to service your bike where you don't have internet access...

We have several overland (more correct would be over-world) travellers that use our product... and even after almost 60 countries and I've forgotten how many hundred thousand miles... they yet have to have a breakdown that they can't help themselves with their GS-911... even through the Sahara, down central Africa... and up and down South America...

...just saying...  ;D
This still does not answer the question as to why the service functionality needs the internet. Why can you just not add it to the gs911’s firmware? I assume that when you connect to the bike and the cloud, and select the service functions then the necessary functionailty is downloaded to the gs911 first... Be it firmware, or data needed for the functions, or whatever. So why can that functionality not permanently be part of the gs911? Maybe a bit like google maps, where you have the option to download maps for offline use... Why not download the service functinality for offline use?

And if it is a case of limited resources in the gs911, keeping in mind all the bike models it can communicate with, can you not make it that you can choose th bike model when you purchase it? Or maybe select the bike model afterwards and have it available offline ala google maps example in previous paragraph?

Hani.eid123

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 05:10:55 PM »
Are there any updates in regards to this issue. I'm going on a RTW trip and wish not to bring a computer to reset my service indicator every time I need to change oil. For 400USD for my GS-911wifi wifi I would expect it to handle all of the processes needed through my phone.

GS Jim

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
Are there any updates in regards to this issue. I'm going on a RTW trip and wish not to bring a computer to reset my service indicator every time I need to change oil. For 400USD for my GS-911wifi wifi I would expect it to handle all of the processes needed through my phone.

One easy way to get around this is to set a date well into the future, on one of my bikes I have set the date to 9 years and 60,000 km in the future. on another it is 3 years and about 35,000 km. Different bikes will accept different values you might have to play around with it.

schuppi

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »
GREAT,
thank you for sharing it :)
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more