Author Topic: Download Logs?  (Read 13681 times)

fin333

Download Logs?
« on: January 11, 2015, 04:42:13 AM »
Hello,

Just received my GS911 and did several log runs of the live data. I can see the log files under "View Log History" and it says "select a file to download or delete". I select the file but nothing happens? It just highlights and nothing? I can delete it but no download event.

So I thought I would use ES File Explorer and just find the files manual. No luck there, have no idea where it puts the file.

It can't be this hard to get the log file! Been trying for over an hour now with no luck.

GS911 Wifi version on Android Phone

schuppi

Re: Download Logs?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »
Hi,
don't know what you are doing. But I do it like this:
save the log files under my own created folder.
Open it with Office Excel. Done.

Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

fin333

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 06:56:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply schuppi.

I am using an android phone so this is all through their GS911 app. It has a spot to "download Log files" where you can see the title of the log file you just took but that is it, I can't select it, download it, open it, etc. Understood this is an Excle file and very familiar with that. I just need to find the file.

So to be more to the point; how do I download the log files form an android phone using the GS911 app?

schuppi

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 11:43:47 PM »
I am using an android phone so this is all through their GS911 app.

Ok, that's the time for me to say I'm out. I don't know anything about GS WIFI and android.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:05:01 AM »
The Android App simply finds the GS911 then fires up the phone web browser so the save function is a phone function

The android phones can vary where they store files dependent on the phone manufacturer, you would need to look at the phone manual

An alternative to saving the file on the phone may be to email it to yourself, I tend to do that with the Android tablet I use

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 04:14:46 AM »
Download is a bad name in my opinion.   When connected to the unit using a browser clicking on a log displays the contents on your browser window.  "Display a page containing the captured data" would be more accurate.   With the page in the browser window using "File" -> "Save" browser menu items to save the data.   That is not an option on an iPhone or an iPad (don't know about Android devices).   So what I do is either bring the laptop out to the garage and/or bring the GS-911 into my office and display then capture the data using my desktop machine.

fin333

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 04:52:59 AM »
Thank you guys for answering. Everything you say all make scene. But I just don't seem to have this option. Look at the screen capture below:

You can see two logs I have taken as test logs. If I select either one it just highlights and does nothing else. No other menu, no "save" option on the phone, no nothing. I have spent over an hour looking in the folders in the phone and doing multiple searches for just these files name with no luck.

I cannot find these files or even get to them. What am I missing here? This is driving me batty!

* good lord, I just spent 10 minutes trying to find the torque rating for a BMW so I could post this! I thought registration got you past this. Do we always have to answer anti-bot questions every post?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:57:08 AM by fin333 »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 05:07:19 AM »
To assist further with the download/email aspect we would need to know make/model of phone and read the manual

The other option for you is to plug the GS911 into a PC and use the PC software to save the files

Do you have a home WiFi network and PC or MAC on the network ?

fin333

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 05:27:16 AM »
Galaxy S5 phone

Read the manual and nothing on viewing or downloading CVS files.

I even downloaded an app for viewing CVS files and still not luck. You have to point it to the file to read it and I cannot locate the files.

Laptop idea: I was under the impression the GS911 unit does not actually log any data? The device (be it phone, tablet, PC, etc) would log the data file when it is connected (via cable or Wifi). So if tried connecting the GS911 unit to a lap top and there seems to be no files to download as I would expect. In other words the GS911 has no memory.

When you guys use your phone to log, does the log file now "live" on the phone and then you "go get it" after the fact?

When you are at that screen I show in my screen shot, what are you doing there to "download" the file? Be specific please.

Thank you guys for the help.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 05:38:05 AM »
The GS911 WiFi has internal storage and the real time data files are stored on the internal storage which the web interface is showing you, there is enough storage there to store over a years real time data

Your phone manual must have some info on downloading/saving files, any file not just csv files plus the option to email a file will be there in the manual

On the screen you show, when working with a PC I use right click save as, on an Android device I click on file and it saves it but I dont often save a file when using Android, I tend to do the real time capture then grab it later using a MAC/Linux/Win PC to then use graphs or spreadsheet
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:40:38 AM by WayneC »

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »
Connect to the GS-911 using a browser.   Navigate to the screen that says "select a file to download or delete".  Select one of the files (click on the name).   The data will be displayed in your browser.  It is that simple.    Use your browser File > Save As menu item to save the data.

Caveats: There is no File > Save As option for the iPhone or the iPad.  Don't know about Android. If you are not seeing anything when you click on the filename try a different browser or a different pc/laptop/whatever.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:07:22 AM »
Pages 168-170 of the Samsung S5 manual has info on finding and managing files

Drag and drop of the real time data file to the email icon at the bottom of the screen should email the file

fin333

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »
Ah, I think I got this morning, thanks to you guys.

The device does in fact store the logs. It does have memory.

I was using the GS911 app on the android device and that just would not do anything when I selected the log file.

But, I see know you can use a browser (10.0.0.1) as well to look at the log file and the browser has the file structure to download.

So bottom line it worked great in a browser getting and reading the log files.

Still does not explain why they even have the app? In the app I could not to save my life download the log files. Weird.

So off and running and thanks for the help guys.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 06:39:14 PM »
The Android app simply finds the device easily for you and it uses the inbuilt browser to talk to the GS911, the configuration of the Samsung though will be where the problem lay in not recognising the file type, not weird, just a configuration problem. Understanding the difference between memory and storage would be worthwhile as well

At the end of the day though it is good you have it working and can get your real time files to take a look at them, all is well that ends well