Author Topic: 2006 R1200GS Adv iabs fault - gs911 not recognising abs unit  (Read 7622 times)

AnthonyReed

2006 R1200GS Adv iabs fault - gs911 not recognising abs unit
« on: January 03, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
Hi all, hopefully some of you guys can help confirm my suspicions/ point me in the right direction!

I bought a gs911 to help diagnose an iabs error, the error is that when I switch the bike on the front servo runs continuously, but rear servo does not run at all, checked all simple things such as brake switches which operate the brake light as expected and the wheel speed sensors seem fine.  When I plug in my new gs911 and try to go into the abs unit through the menu the gs911 fails to get a response from the unit.

Unit was bleed twice(controls and wheel circuits)

This feels kinda feels like an Absectomy or a second hand unit replacement but was just wondering if anyone has an idea on what might be wrong??

Thanks in advance guys!

I have to add I toyed with getting a gs911 for a couple years as I self service the bike but am so glad I have now as it is so easy to use will help in future once this issue is resolved!!

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: 2006 R1200GS Adv iabs fault - gs911 not recognising abs unit
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 03:47:40 AM »
I am aware of situations where BMW dealer diagnostics does not see the ABS unit when ABS has not inititialised correctly and the GS911 does see it

I would suggest reseating the ABS connector if you have not done so already to confirm it is not a bad connection before anything else

AnthonyReed

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the advice, I did give it a go a few times with no joy unfortunately.  The other interesting thing is that with the gs911 plugged in and bike ignition switches off the servos continue to run until the gs911 is unplugged?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 03:08:54 PM »
I would need to look at a wiring diagram but find that surprising, I would not have considered the ABS system would remain connected with ignition off and use a sleep mode like the dash/BMS-K

As a matter of interest which GS911 did you buy and are you using the latest software ?

I would be disconnecting the ABS and measuring voltages at the socket, the thought of some chafed/shorted wiring comes to mind on your fault

AnthonyReed

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »
It's a very good shout and I will try to hunt down a wiring diagram.

I have the Ian enthusiast GS911 and only installed the software last weekend so assume it is the latest version. 

Another odd thing maybe was that when I had a look at real time values for both wheel speeds it was showing a reading of circa 2400mph, obviously I was stationary at this point! The rest of the bike is performing flawlessly, I am at 65k miles and have bleed the system at least every 2 years to this point.

I must also add that before this issue occurred I had dropped the bike on its left a couple weeks before but system worked fine after that.

I still feel it is an issue with the electronic side of the unit but find it hard to see how the unit would be constantly running but the GS911 not get a response from it.

AnthonyReed

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »
Should read usb enthusiast version

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 01:10:04 AM »
OK, sounds like the GS911 is up to date, wiring diagrams are available either as a part number or on the SLP CD with all models  from BMW dealers

The sensors are known to get scratched and ingest moisture some have used hair spray to reseal them but if you had a fall the adjustment may be out