Author Topic: Iphone/Ipad Wifi D2D connectivity  (Read 17528 times)

gman

Iphone/Ipad Wifi D2D connectivity
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »
OK, so I just bought this GS-911 WIFI.  Downloaded utility AP on windows PC, Iphone 5 and Ipad Air 2.  Was able to connect PC to GS-911 with USB cable and had full functionality to 2007 BMW R1200RT (did brake bleed on newly rebuild ABS module). However, when I unplug USB and PC, I'm Having trouble getting connectivity to Iphone and Ipad.  Expect GS-911 to communicate to IOs device through WiFi to get emergency code reading only. Message within AP at top of page on IOS device suggests I'm "connected to my IOS device network", but I also get a message in the body of the page that "no GS-911 WiFi devices are connected on this network".
Not sure what I'm doing wrong that prevents me from getting connected with the Ios devices.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Iphone/Ipad Wifi D2D connectivity
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 01:33:15 AM »
First ensure you update the GS911 to the latest firmware, use the PC to do it, you can use either WiFi or USB to do the upgrade, when that is done let us know and then let us work out the IOS problem

gman

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 04:42:32 AM »
Thank you for the response.  I tried the iPhone 5s again today after charging the m/c battery, and all worked.  I might have just been experiencing a low voltage condition on the M/c as the ignition voltage dropped off shortly after I made the 1st wifi connection attempt.  I'll try the iPad tomorrow.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 04:51:02 AM »
No worries,  good to hear it works, make sure the WiFi is updated though, the firmware has been constantly improved, check your version

When doing diags testing I have a battery charger I use with the BMW accessory socket to minimise battery drain, it is how many pro workshops operate.
On my model it is easy to disconnect the headlight as well which on extended sessions is a wise idea

gman

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
thank you.  I was expectinting the option of being able to turn off the headlight during testing, however that never poped up as an option.
So to update the firmware, I should use the PC and this will be updating the firmware in the GS-911 correct?  Is there a latested version of firmware that I should be checking for?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
You can update the firmware via the WiFi Launcher on the PC with it connected via USB or via the WiFi interface if you have it connected into your home WiFi network

On the WiFi screen you can see what version of firmware is in it using he about menu item, it splits up the system into Firmware Version, System Base Version, Datapack version and WiFi Module Version

Use the update menu item and it beams over to hexcode to check and compare the latest version available with what is in the unit then you update if needed, it is one click for you and then you will see the update progress, takes a little while to do

Take a look and see what version is in the unit

gman

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 03:27:29 AM »
I says I have the Datapack version: 1.90 and the 0.196.0 version of the firmware, and when I check for updates, it says "You are using the latest release version", however in the same pop-up window it also says "GS-911 wifi interface: Update available" in red.  Can I assume that I do in fact have the latest firmware?

Still haven't tried accessing the Gs-911wifi throughh  iPad wifi interface. however it did work on my Iphone.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 03:38:18 AM »
I have to apologize as I cant recall details of the latest release version, I only have a beta on my test unit,  but the version you quote seems too old

It should not say you are up to date and an upgrade is available, I would press upgrade and see what happens, I would also lodge a support ticket
It is better to let Hexcode know when things like that happen, they are on the ball in clearing problems and throwing things at the beta team to break  ;D

Let me know how you go with the update and the iPAD, I am away from home base over xmas so cant check with an iPAD at the moment
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:41:10 AM by WayneC »

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 07:29:06 AM »
I says I have the Datapack version: 1.90 and the 0.196.0 version of the firmware, and when I check for updates, it says "You are using the latest release version", however in the same pop-up window it also says "GS-911 wifi interface: Update available" in red.  Can I assume that I do in fact have the latest firmware?

Still haven't tried accessing the Gs-911wifi throughh  iPad wifi interface. however it did work on my Iphone.

There are THREE bits of software.
1) firmware that lives in the device
2) the GS-911wifi utility
3) the PC application

I think that message is telling you that the GS-911 wifi utility is up to date but your firmware isn't.  The current firmware is this

gman

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 11:59:27 PM »
I find that I have the following versions;

Firmware: 0.196 – 0.94
Base System Version .24-0.9-1
Datapack Version 88
WiFi Module version 31.8

Using my Ipad, I can access the screen at "Help>About" that provides me the info on these current version, however my PC (when connect via USB) doesn't get me to that screen.  It appears that the Firmware and datapack need to be upgraded.  I think that there may also be an issue with compatibilty of my operating system on my older PC.

I presume that I need USB and host internet access to be able to update Firmware and datapack versions.  I will try a different PC and see what happens.

gman

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 04:10:34 AM »
Cannot perform the software/firmware update with either of my PC's, however with GS-911 connected to PC with USB and simultaneously connecting Ipad to GS-911 via GS-911 Wifi, I was able to see different screens on the ipad that allowed me to complete the update.  The status of the new versions installed are as follows

Firmware 0.208-0.106
Base System 0.24-0.9-1.0
Datapack  100
wifi Module 31.8

Essentially the original issue that started here has been resolved, with WiFi D2D connectivity working fine with both IOs devices (Iphone 5S and Ipad Air).  However, I remain confused as to why I couldn't update software/firmware with the PC.

I have an active tech Ticket ongoing with Hexcode and hope to gain a better understanding of how this all works.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 04:31:29 AM »
Good to hear you have it updated, what are the PC's ?, Operating System in particular

I tend to do upgrades via the WiFi interface, the PC WiFi launcher can be GS911 version dependent and needs to be Win7 or later.

tomin8er

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 05:47:34 AM »
I cant use my GS911 WIFI with Iphone. wont connect stuck using usb cable. Love the old GS911 it worked with my windows mobile phone and offered most functionality via mobile. Wish the new one worked. I use it mostly in my shop but if I have a broken bike I cant use the new one for the newer models.

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2015, 05:55:35 AM »
After you plug in the GS-911 are you sure it is in D2D mode?   If in D2D mode did you remember to go into the iPhone Settings -> Wi-Fi screen and select the network being advertised by the GS-911?  Have you tried just running Safari and keying in the IP address of the GS-911 instead of using the iPhone APP?

In other words, tell us what you've done.   "I cant use my GS911 WIFI with Iphone. wont connect..." doesn't provide any clues as to what might be wrong.

tomin8er

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 04:47:31 AM »
I Switched to D2D mode. Kept saying cant connect even thought I see the GS911 network or in this case Not work. Never tried using safari refuse to use that browser.