Author Topic: Cruise Control not working  (Read 23474 times)

ezepilot

Cruise Control not working
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:59:53 AM »
Hello,  I recently upgraded from a R1150RT to an R1200RT and It came with a inoperative cruise control.  I just received my new GS 911 in the mail today.  Can anyone tell me if the unit has a test for cruise control systems.  Or what would be the way to trouble shoot the Cruise control with the GS 911.  Thanks for any thoughts.

Inspector Gadget

Re: Cruise Control not working
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
Hi,

Here's the BMW diagnostic test for the cruise control.

1. With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.

2. Press and hold the SET button to the SET position and switch on the Ignition switch (SET LIGHT comes on)

3. Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move to RESET (Resume) position (LIGHT)

4. Release the button (LIGHT OFF)

4a Switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT ON)

5. Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF)

6. Close throttle. (LIGHT), release throttle. (LIGHT OFF)

7. Pull clutch lever (LIGHT), release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)

8. Pull front brake lever (LIGHT), release lever (LIGHT OFF)

9. Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON)

10. Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)

11. Switch off ignition

With GS911 you can read any errors recorded.

One important thing to note:
If you are using modified tail-lights (e.g. led or flashers), it will influence the outcome of the above steps.
Next to errors being show in the logs via GS-911.

Like the R1150RT you should not tinker with the rear lights of the 1200RT, it influences the ABS system also.

Post the error-log and/or autoscan of GS-911 (as an attachment) to your response, so we can see if and what errors are recorded.

ezepilot

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
I tried the cruise control diagnostic test and it worked up until the close the throttle and that did not change the light.  I think I read somewhere on the internet that if it stops at the throttle point it could be either the micro switch in the throttle or the clutch micro switch because they are supposed to be on the same circuit. I am not sure about that because I read that on another forum. Also I successfully ran my new GS-911 on my bike for the first time and I saw a couple things but did not figure out how to save the data yet. I will try that again today.  But going from memory I read one part said cruise control is present.  In the real time data I tested a few things but where it said cruise control switch is off it did not show on when I turned the cruise control on. So I wonder why did it not show the switch turning off and on.  Also if the diagnostic test made it through the first few light on light off with the cruise control switch going off and on the switch must be working.  I will try later today with my GS-911 again the see if I can save or import the data. The only codes I saw were one low voltage and another one maybe can buss, but I can't remember but it said they were resolved. Thanks for the help.  Oh when I move the throttle backwards for the test I think I can hear the tiny click of a micro switch doing its thing, also some with the clutch. I love this R1200RT ride and would be excited to have a cruise control that works.  Paul

ezepilot

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »
Dutch

My bike does have a small LED strip on the back above the license plate holder that is red and goes on with the brake light. It does not flash though. Also when I did the cruise control test my GS-911 was not hooked up. I wish they had a test for that. 

Paul

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 11:01:15 PM »
That your led-strip does not flash you will not see with the naked eye.
The rear light is modulated to a couple of KHz for dim-light and full on when braking.

When you take a modern-day Action camera @ 70 fps, I can assure you, you will see it flash.  ;)

I use a Kisantech solution (tailBlazer) and therefore the above cruise control test also fails with my (2007) R1200RT at some step(s).

In step 6, really close the throttle by hand, beyond its 0-point.

Also be aware that the cruise control switch itself is known to be faulty quite often.
Use g00gle and you find many hits on r1200rt cruise control.  :o

ezepilot

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 02:41:56 AM »
Hello Dutch,  thanks for the response.

Yes I wonder about the cruise control switch but then during the diagnostic test the switch part seems to pass.  So I think even though I swear I can hear a little micro switch click when I reverse the throttle I may start by taking the tupper ware off and check those throttle cables and switch,  maybe see if I can test the switch. 

Paul

ezepilot

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 06:38:16 AM »
Dutch,  I found the problem and fixed my cruise control today.  Using the 16 step cruise control diagnostic test it stopped at #6 for throttle cable switch.  On another site somewhere there was a note at the bottom of the cruise control test list that said that the clutch circuit and the throttle circuit share the same wire so if one of them fails the other one will..  Then on another site one guy described how there are two micro switches for the clutch lever and that when he wiggled the clutch lever down it would work.  If he hit bumps while driving it would turn off the cruise control  So I decided that it would be easier to check the clutch lever switches first then go for the throttle cable micro switch next.  When I wiggled my clutch lever down I heard a second click of a micro switch.  I held it down a little and then the Cruise control test passed.  So I took off the little dust cover under my clutch lever and noticed the dual micro switch.  One half of it worked while the one half was not making contact.  I saw the small set screw that probably holds the switch in place and it was a little loose.  I tightened it and then I got clearly two clicks one from each micro switch each time I pulled the clutch lever and the cruise control is now fully functional.  I hope this thread helps someone else.  Always so good when you can save a trip to the mechanic.

Paul

drrider

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
I would be interested in knowing milage at the time oh the failures