Author Topic: I swear I'm not an idiot but....  (Read 8132 times)

Onequickwrench

I swear I'm not an idiot but....
« on: November 05, 2014, 05:35:44 AM »
I've been trying to reset the service indicator on my F800GS for the last 4 hours!

1) My ISP provided modem/router doesn't like the 911wifi for some reason and won't allow it to connect.
2) Evidently you cannot reset service indicators in D2D mode.
And finally
3) I can't for the love of God get my laptop to access the 911wifi through the usb cable while the 911 is hooked up to the motorcycle.
Any ideas?

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: I swear I'm not an idiot but....
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
Can you indicate what laptop system and operating system you are using ? and what is the make/model of the router ?

Onequickwrench

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
HP laptop running Windows8 & a CenturyLink DSL modem with built in wifi.
I even dug out my old Dell Lattitude that runs Windows XP and tried it.

I can connect with either (plus my iPhone and iPad) in D2D mode, but I can't connect to the 911wifi via the USB cable when the unit is plugged into the bike.

I'll eventually get the wifi network configured, but for now I want to lash the 911wifi and the PC via the cable and go to town on the service indicators.

My Dell has the 911 Beta software on it, should I try that program to connect to the 911wifi?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »
Yes use the Dell with the Beta PC software and confirm the WiFi unit is OK, once you have done that let us know

I am not one to assist with Win8 as I cant stand it and dont use it I am afraid

Onequickwrench

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll try the 911Beta software tonight when I get home.

I'm of the same opinion about Windows 8 - personally I can't stand it, but it's the wife's laptop and she likes it.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 04:10:37 PM »
I gave the new beta a quick test with XP into a 650GS without problems so it should be fine

Be like me, I have an older Dell Laptop with removable HDD's one with XP the other Win7 and that is the workshop Man Machine

Let your wife have her pretty toy and have peace in the household  ;D

jamesgoodchild

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:49:03 AM »
I've got Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 in both x32 and x64 versions.  I also have access to a laptop with Windows 7 in x32/x64, Windows XP and even the beta of Windows 10 - although that one is running only in x64 at the moment.  If I can help validate anything with you, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

2011 BMW K1600GTL, 2001 HD FLSTSI, 1957 BMW R60, etc...

Onequickwrench

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »
Well the 911beta utility took care of my issue.

I downloaded 1410.2 this evening when I got home and was able to connect to the motorcycle using the USB cable, quickly resetting the service indicators.

The trusty Dell Latitude has been dusted off and is now residing on the workbench in the garage.

All I need now is to track down a DVD drive for the little Dell to run my BMW RSD disc.

That's to all who offered help.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
Ah good to hear, a latitude is a good workshop tool, DVD drives have been on EBay pretty cheap

Re the CenturyLink DSL modem, CentruryLink looks like and ISP and they are offering 6 different makes and models of modem/routers including Technicolor which is the renamed Alcatel/Thomson, we would need to know which one you have to work out how to assist you configure it