Author Topic: ABS Sensors  (Read 7014 times)

Mission

ABS Sensors
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »
I have a 2004 K1200RS, which I purchased from the Police as they updated to new bikes. I assume that as BMW did all the maintenance including the brake fluid replacement it would all be correct. I have always flushed the brake and clutch circuits as per the manual and regularly cycled the ABS by hard braking on wet grass at low speed.  My ABS was perfect until the last cycle on the grass, I got the normal 4hz red light and brake warning and a dead back brake and now I have also lost the front as well.

I have done extensive fault finding based on the codes produced by the GS911 and  looking at all the ideas on this forum and from other forums as well. I keep coming back to the problem that I had perfect ABS and then nothing after a hard brake application - does this mean sensors.

I have since removed the ABS unit and disassembled it to see if there was an obvious fault ( to me its just another hydraulic module) and found it to almost completely blocked with black crud ( I have photos) even though it has been serviced as per the manual. Has anyone ever changed these sensors ? Its a long way to USA/Europe for repairs

Why do we pay so much money for BMW and they seem to be having a large problem with their electrical systems all around. If you have not had a problem - YET  you probably know a BMW owner who has !  I have searched the web and it seems that Honda owners do not have anywhere near as many problems. I am now waiting to hear reports from members who have had there ABS module repaired to see the results.

That my whinge for today

Jim  Queensland

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: ABS Sensors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »
Hi Jim

All the sensors do is detect the wheel rotation.  I doubt very much whether it is sensor related.

What are the error codes you are getting?

One thing you can check is the pressure relief valves.  Look here:

http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,4.msg177.html#msg177