Author Topic: GS911 WiFi Utility  (Read 10531 times)

Inspector Gadget

GS911 WiFi Utility
« on: October 12, 2014, 05:53:20 AM »
Received today my GS911 Wifi, sleek!

Wanting to use also the WiFi connectivity, I used the GS911 WiFi Utility trying to configure the Wifi settings.
Meaning, infrastructure-mode, define a network that does not transmit its name (SSID).

Unfortunately, it seems that the WiFi Utility predominately wants to use WPA/WPA 2 encryption and no means to turn it off?
And it requires to also "see" the wireless network name, instead of allowing to enter one to be known but not actively broadcasting its network name?

Is there a way to change/turn-off the WPA/WPA 2 ?

Xchallenge

Re: GS911 WiFi Utility
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
I have no experience with the GS-911wifi-model but seriously, you should really consider to get your wifi up to at least the standard of 2004 and enable WPA 2. All equipment that doesn't support at least WPA should be thrown in the trashcan, where they belonged for the last 10 years.

I don't know if WPA is a requirement with GS-911wifi but if it is, that should be considered a feature rather than a flaw in my opinion.

Your "hidden" SSID is revealed to anybody that's slightly curious (not to mention everybody that really have the idea of misusing wifi-connections) as soon  as you have any traffic flowing. I'd say that a hidden SSID isn't even considered "security-by-obscurity" any more, it's only a hassle for legitimate users.

Some other information on the subject:
Should I hide my SSID?
Linksys have removed the option of hiding the SSID in later firmwares, because "There is no security benefit in hiding the SSID."

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
If you believe WPA & WPA2 are secure, I'm afraid that is also not the case;
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140320100824.htm
&
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/secureyourwifinetwork/a/WPA2-Crack.htm

We are using MAC-filtering (amongst other things such as firewalling) to block access, but are aware that these also just have a limited security-measure.

Using WPA or WPA2 gives in my view a false sense of security and lowers the throughput quite significantly.

If you want security, you should not connect to the internet nor use wireless, at all.

It is just to block the possible drive-by, and that has been quite effective in our situations.

But thanks for the heads-up.

Xchallenge

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
Of course I know that WPA 2 isn't secure if someone is determined to get access. The important thing is that WPA is secure against a quick clear text network scanner. Hidden SSID and even MAC-filtering isn't. MAC-spoofing may, in combination with other security measures, at least be worth the hassle.

A front door lock isn't secure against a determined burglar either but as with WPA, I still consider it the first basic step against a bypasser simply trying to open the door. Depending on the likely threats of the particular object, one then add security as needed.

I'm not trying to convince you anymore, I only write this for other forum readers. Since I now know that you understand that WPA is the standard but choose not to use it, then that's your choice. Good luck!

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »
I appreciate you pointing out the "flaws" and I do agree with your stance!

But that does not take away that the GS911 WiFi utility should allow for somewhat more flexibility in respect to what can be configured.

I guess I will need to raise a formal Helpdesk-case for it.  :-\

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
Do you not have a "Add network manually" button?  My screenshots are quite old and the current software might be different, but this is what I was able to enter...

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:30:33 PM »
Thank you marchyman for the response, much appreciated!

I do not know if your screenshot was for the Windows version or the Mac?

Anyhoe, that screen/capability appears to be dropped with the GS911 v1409.1, that screen/section no longer exist within that Utility.
Perhaps a programming glitch, something that has been forgotten.

Unfortunately, it appears that HexCode does not maintain older versions too in their download-section, otherwise one could test and check that.

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:56 PM »
Put the unit in D2D mode.  Change the network on your machine (PC/Mac/phone irrelevant except they will use different methods to change network) to use the network being advertised by the GS-911.    Connect to the unit using your favorite browser.  Again, Windows/Mac/phone unimportant.

Select Network Config from the GS-911

Select Add network Manually

That should get you where you want to be.

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »
Thanks!

I will have a go through the D2D mode later on and let you know the results.

Currently downloading & copy-and-paste into a short manual of the buttons and led-modi.  :)

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
And it works!
Like a charm.  8)

Lessons learned:
- Read the manual, even though it might be difficult to read/understand for non-native English like me.  ;)
- Setup first the D2D mode, that allows for far more configuration(s) & flexibility.
http://www.hexcode.co.za/gs-911wifi-setup

- Browse from wireless pc to GS911 WiFi's IP (always 10.0.0.1 in D2D mode)
- Enjoy.  ;D

The GS911 WiFi utility is handy to verify it is indeed connecting and the new IP (when in Infrastructure mode)

In the mean time I also ordered the recommended TP-Link TP-WR702N nano-router, handy to keep at hand in the toolbox that also houses the GS911 WiFi and other goodies.

A big Thank You to all involved for the quick responses, always highly appreciated!