Author Topic: Fixed a stuck ESA rear shock (preload) on 2005 K1200S  (Read 39908 times)

trickflow

Fixed a stuck ESA rear shock (preload) on 2005 K1200S
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:03:32 AM »
I searched and could only find a topic that showed someone having an issue calibrating ESA on a K1200S without the hall sensors, but I figured I will share my story of how I fixed a stuck rear shock on my k1200S. 

A few weeks ago the bike seems to be stuck in the 2 rider position.  When I cycled through the positions, they would show, but it would not "blink the display" like it used too.  The ride solo was very hard.  I looked at the rear shock and it didn't move.

I bought the GS-911 last week (didn't want to wait for the WiFi version as I had an immediate need) to try and calibrate it.  Well, with the latest beta version of the software it told me "No ESA can be calibrated is fitted for this motorcycle".  The buttons were greyed out after clicking "OK".  This was truly a bummer as I couldn't do what I wanted to try.  So I looked though everything else and was happy with all the other info it gave. 

Not wanting to sit in the garage I went upstairs and just went through all the items to see what else could be done.  When clicking through the software, it told me that a GS-911 wasn't attached.  I clicked OK, and could at least see all the menu items were.  Well, oddly enough I went back to the ESA calibration and I got a message that said to connect the device.  I just clicked OK and to my surprise the calibration buttons were not greyed out.  I thought this was too good to be true, but immediately went down to the motorcycle and plugged it in with the GS-911.  As soon as the computer recognized the device, I clicked on the rear calibration.  Got another message, but I heard the ESA motor run!  It cycled the shock all the way down and up.  I couldn't believe it so I pressed it again, and I got an error message on the computer, but the shock cycled up and down.  There were no calibration readouts on the program, but it cycled the shock, I essentially tricked the software past the message and allowed me to send the command top the bikes computer.  I unplugged the GS-911 and started the bike.  I cycled to the rider and luggage  mode, and the display flashed and moved the shock!  I now tried all the modes and the display flashed every time and set the shock.

I can't say how happy I am about this as I didn't want this to turn into the "You need a new rear shock".  I will now always be careful and only set pre-load when the bike is unloaded.

For the developer, it would be very cool to add a function to the non-hall ESA owners that could just tell the bike to do whatever happened when I clicked the "calibrate rear shock" without it checking if it has the hall sensors.  Put a warning message or whatever, but this has the potential to fix the 2 rider stuck shock issue.

Thanks!

Andreas

kobus

• Beta testers
    • GS-911
Re: Fixed a stuck ESA rear shock (preload) on 2005 K1200S
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
Hi Andreas

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

While I had a suspicion that this will work even on non-HALL sensor ESA's we do not allow it because we want to first test that it works on our side before releasing it to the general public. So far we have not been able to source a bike with the old ESA sensors.

If you want to help us get this tested, please send us your logs and contact our helpdesk so I can send you test software.

Kobus
---
R1200GS Adventure (personal weapon of choice)
... and then the company fleet.

durinkos

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »
HI!

After trying Andreas instructions me ESA does not work at all. Ans already can not even among comfort - normal - sport.  Even when the ignition will not start self diagnosed dampers (not buzz)

:'( :'( :'(

Martin

LomTeePawBao

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 05:20:17 AM »
Fantastic. How are you make anything? I find you first if I do it . How can I do?

durinkos

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:28:48 PM »
So I try again this manual for the second time. The result? ESA again stopped working.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOleHuJIzo[/youtube]

durinkos

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »
Good day!

I have a question for developers who are present in this forum, as the heldesk not help me !. Work is a version which is able to calibrate ESA chassis without HALL sensor ??? I bought a GS911 only for calibration rear shock. To this day, it does not work and I am very angry! You lie to customers.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Please reply

durinkos

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »
So. Firstly, I would like to apologize developers and forum administrator on hex.code for my very bad post ...

Calibrate as instructed by trickflow really works on models of without hall sensor. Calibration me not successful due to the gearbox jammed in the suspensions. After manual gearbox shake it possible to calibration run and even as instructed by trickflow.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrfLJyTCB0c[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:59:46 AM by durinkos »

Old goat

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »
Hello, this is my first post. I’m in the UK and have a recently acquired 2005 R1200RT, which is not currently on the road. I have a GS-911Blu and am on a learning curve, though I have already successfully carried out the pressure test following replacement of the brake fluid and corrected a non-working screen by simply running the calibration utility.

Could I ask for some guidance on the ESA 1 suspension, picking up on the previous post by trickflow?

The situation with my bike was the same as reported by trickflow: the instrument panel responded to the commands from the ESA button for damping and preload, but nothing seemed to be happening on the bike. Performing the manual suspension test described in the BMW repair manual confirmed this: no noticeable change in damper stiffness or rear ride height.

Selecting suspension calibration in the ZFE menu returns: “No ESA that can be calibrated is fitted to this motorcycle”. I understand that this is because the GS-911 does not currently support ESA 1 with potentiometer position sensor, but I used trickflow’s procedure to have the GS-911 software accept the presence of the ESA suspension (front and rear calibration commands no longer greyed out).

A few seconds after clicking on “Calibrate front suspension” an error message is displayed: “Negative response from controller: sub function not supported by controller or invalid format”.

A few seconds after clicking on “Calibrate rear suspension” an error message is displayed: “Front calibration stopped by user”.

The calibration page does warn that if calibration is interrupted, the ZFE will log a fault and disable changes to the ESA using the ESA button. I didn’t knowingly interrupt it, but this is indeed the current situation: there is now no response from the screen to the ESA switch for damping or preload – though there is no fault code visible.

I’ve tried repeating the procedure a few times, with the same result each time.

Durinkos seems to have sorted his by shaking the rear suspension unit. I’m not sure what he did, but in my case the unit is not jammed: applying 12 volts to the (disconnected) blue connector on the rear mudguard causes the rear suspension preload adjustment to motor up and down smoothly, so preload changes ought to work at least.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can at least restore the bike to its previous condition (display screen responding to the button) and preferably restore the suspension to working order?

The autoscan report is below. This does not list the ESA suspension but I have an earlier report from before I started looking at the suspension, which is the same; I don’t know whether or not this is not significant.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

AutoScan ReportGS-911 version: 1511.2 Datapack version: 3.3
Serial Number: GS60461901
Firmware version: 0.21.C
Registered to: 
Date: 07/02/2016 Time: 14:58:07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Motorcycle Information

VIN: WB10368046ZM13863
Mileage: 118048.6 miles
Factory I-Level: K024-05-08-510
Actual I-Level: K024-05-08-510

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BMS-KBMS type: BMS-K
Part No.: 7699069
Hardware Index: 10
Coding Index: 01
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD): 2005-08-09
MCV: 0.5.8
FSV: 0.77.17
OSV: 2.3.1
Manufacturer: Bosch
HWOE No.: 26116227
Program status: 170E
Date release: 6C12
VIN model year: 2006

No fault codes found

ZFE-HighZFE type: ZFE-High
Part No.: 7698591
Hardware Index: 01
Coding Index: 07
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD): 2004-04-15
MCV: 0.5.8
FSV: 1.9.3
OSV: 3.3.0
Manufacturer: Loewe Lear
HWOE No.: 26130323
   Speed sensor manufacturer is Beru 
   Speed sensor type is DF11 
   ABS fitted 
   Heated grips 
   Outside temperature sensor 
   Film type fuel sensor 
   Manual low beam off switch 
   Storage of temperature indication when engine hot 
   Electronic windscreen present 

No fault codes found

Integral ABS - CANPart No.: 7653569
HW Version No.: 3
Coding Index: 9
Manufacturer: FTE
Manufacturing Date: 2005-07-21
HWOE No.: 25376419
MCV: 0.5.7
FSV: 1.4.2
OSV: 3.3.0
Assembly No.: 07653569
FTE Serial No.: 53220732X
Hardware No.: 07653569
Hardware star No.: 07653569
ICT barcode: ED3C2261
Housing barcode 
   Part number: 532222803
   Serial number: 40568
   Internal index number: 0
FTE Serial number of device: 202
Modulator: 080
Main computer date: 2003-02-18
Communication and control computer date: 2004-10-18
Communication and control computer version: V03.10

No fault codes found

CAN-Kombi H/LCluster type: CAN-Kombi H/L
Part No.: 7694076
Hardware Index: C4
Coding Index: 03
Manufacturer: Siemens VDO Automotive
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD): 2004-02-29
MCV: 0.5.6
FSV: 1.4.1
OSV: 3.3.10
HWOE No.: 26092683
Assembly No.: 7694096
Variant: Unknown

No fault codes found

schuppi

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:20:15 AM »
Hello, good morning and welcome :)

There is a not registered ESA on ZFE-HighZFE type: ZFE-High .
This is the main unit for diagnosis over the CAN. Did you change this ZFE?
Think that is a dealers job, register this function to the ZFE online. Than you are
able to read this unit.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Old goat

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 12:49:21 PM »
Thank you for your comments Schuppi.
I bought the bike from a friend, who had it from nearly new and did over 100,000 miles on it commuting to work. He never carried a passenger or varied the load and most of the running was in traffic on the motorway, so he would not have needed to change the ESA settings (I’m sure he would have played with it when he first had the bike though). He had latterly started to wonder if the ESA was working (How do you tell, he asked…) but did nothing about it apart from replacing the control switch, which was no longer positive in action. This made no difference, and anyway the screen always responded to the switch even though the system didn’t. I’m as sure as can be that the ZFE is the original one.
I’ve seen in the BMW repair manual that the BMW diagnostic tool includes a check on the ESA settings, so like you wonder whether this is going to be something for a dealer to do.
However, from the earlier posts, it seemed that Hexcode might be working on covering this early ESA system, so I’m still hoping for that.

schuppi

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 03:08:05 PM »
Please, give it just another test.

As repair manual describes: 
select toolbox ZFE!
select control the ESA suspension settings. Maybe it helps, otherwise

what about a picture of your ESA connectors to nsee the pins :)
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Old goat

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 03:54:17 PM »
Thank you for your continued interest Schuppi.

As I understand it, the repair manual refers to the use of a BMW diagnostic tool, which I don’t have and with the bike off the road for the moment, I won’t be able to organise for a while. A visit to my local BMW dealer will have to wait for later, if I can’t resolve the problem beforehand. I do normally do all jobs on my bikes myself though.
I’ll certainly try with the GS-911 again, but as it is a somewhat unauthorised procedure I’m using, I’m not too optimistic. It would be nice to have ESA 1 supported by the GS-911 software, but I suppose that with these bikes getting older, Hexcode have other priorities.
The 12V power connector to the rear suspension unit showed some light corrosion, which I carefully cleaned off and then protected with electrolube. I’ll have another look at the others.
I won’t have any spare time to do this until later this week though.

durinkos

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »
Try to connect the blue connector for 12V and spring set to be compressed to the maximum. Involve connector and then start the calibration. If that fails it's inversely (Springs) moves and start calibration again. It also does not help that he disassemble, inspect potentiometer or cable.

This may help you: http://theneed4speed.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12193

schuppi

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:39 AM »
 :)Great.
Thank you for sharing.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Old goat

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »
Hello durinkos.
I was hoping to hear from you, as you had managed to resolve the problem I now have. I’ll post again once I’ve had a chance to get back to the bike (later this week I hope).
Contrary to your suggestion I had placed the spring preload motor at the soft position, thinking that this would be the starting point. Anyway, I’ll try it at the other end of the range of movement and I’ll also pay particular attention to all connections, given the experience in the useful link you provided.