Author Topic: Tyre Pressure TPMS / Wake-Up tool for RDC  (Read 78497 times)

e7navy1999

Re: Tyre Pressure TPMS / Wake-Up tool for RDC
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
hey GS Jim: I tried my EL-50448 and got nothing.  It would not wake up my TMPS.  My TPMS are ok when riding.  Maybe it is user error on my part.  Hey Kardano: I do not think we can calibrate our TMPS.  They are factory set.  They are not extremely accurate but just give a ballpark PSI.  I live in the mountains so my readings are lower by 3-4 psi.  As the tires heat up the PSI can rise 3-4 degrees 

kardano

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »
My VXDAS EL-50448 (for GM) works fine with my sensors, it seems the "Ford version" do not.

e7navy1999

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2019, 08:53:55 PM »
Thanks Karado.  That is the unit I have.  When you use yours does your TMPS readout on your bike display...does it read tire pressure or stay blank?  Mine stays blank until i ride the bike for 2-3 blocks

GS Jim

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2019, 08:59:28 PM »
Sorry to hear your wake up tool is not working Navy but just to clarify, did you try a new battery in it, does the green light flash when you hold the button or the red, are you holding it at the labelled area on the rim with bike ignition on? Also I find I have to hold the button for a while sometimes, like 30 seconds or so.
I have found the readings to be very close to my calibrated gauge  but on three different bikes the readings do vary by about 0.1 bar.
Although the readings are temperature (20 c) they are not altitude compensated so if you set them at sea level and go up to say 2,000 meters you can get a change of maybe 0.3 bar but if you set them at high altitude they will show the correct pressure at that height as the reading is just the difference in the external and internal pressures.
While I am writing this I see other posts coming in so to respond to the latest the reading on your bike stays blank till the centrifugal switch is activated at about 30 kph (or the wake up tool wakes it up).
I believe the Ford unit is EL-50449
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 09:29:46 PM by GS Jim »

kardano

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2019, 09:36:04 PM »
When you use yours does your TMPS readout on your bike display...does it read tire pressure or stay blank?  Mine stays blank until i ride the bike for 2-3 blocks
I've a BMW R1200RT 2011. Start engine, the pressure digits are blank, after riding for 15 seconds digits show the value. With EL-50448 i can wake up the sensors and read the two values only with the ignition on and motorcycle on the stand. 

e7navy1999

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2019, 10:50:39 PM »
thank. Mine is a k1600 so they may have changed things a bit

e7navy1999

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
After a full year of test: The 2032 seems to perform best. The 2050 works for a year or two longer
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 04:18:45 PM by e7navy1999 »

Graff

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2019, 01:02:57 PM »
What do you like the most about the 2032?
If you're interested in these appetite suppressants you should check them out.

e7navy1999

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
Actually i found one of my soldered wires broke and was sometimes connecting and sometimes not.  I think the 2050 battery will last much longer, more like the OEM battery.  The 2032 battery is easier to install as it already has wires connected and is wrapped with the yellow protection.  My 2050 battery is working after I repaired the wire. 

Gunleif

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2019, 10:34:39 PM »
I have a EL-50448, wake up tool. Paid $10, with shipping. Works every time on my K1300 GT.

Chetz86

« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2019, 11:32:57 AM »
Hi Gunleif,

I also got an kingbolen EL50448 with GS911 but sadly i not able to wake the TPMS . Did this forum got any post that guide us to wake up the TPMS or u got any trick to make it success ?

Tan

e7navy1999

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »
Good Morning Chetz86.  Honestly I was unable to wake up my TPMS with the El50448 as well.  I do know that if you rapidly decompress the tire it wakes them up.  You have to rapidly deflate about 50% of the air.  BMW sort of messed up in this design.  I like to know my tire pressure before I ride two blocks down the road.  The GS911 will wake them as well.  I recently change the batteries in both front and rear.  It is a rather easy process once you get the glue broken out of the TPMS pocket.  There are many post or how to do the work.  If you can do your own tire changes and balancing the the cost of a TPMS battery repair is just about $1.  I think a new TMPS from BMW is $178 but I have seen them on Alibaba for $30 ish.  If you use the Alibaba TPMS then make certain you convert the hexadecimal code to real numbers.  There is a chart on google that will help.  If you change out your TPMS with a Chinese version or BMW with will still need a GS911 to input the new codes .  Beware many Chinese version sit for years on the shelf and the batteries may already be dead.  All this above is why I decided to just make my original TPMS where I can change the battery myself.  No programming, no worries.  Once you have them setup for battery replacement a new battery only takes 5 minutes per tire during a rubber change.  Good Luck

hefy_jefy

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2019, 01:35:10 AM »
Bike is 2014 R1200RTW - the EL-50448 worked just fine for me.  Turn on the ignition and select the tire pressure readout.  Hold the device exactly as shown in the instructions and press the button, the green LED flashes for about 5secs then the red LED gives a quick flash.  About 5secs later the pressure for whichever tire you are looking at shows up in the display.

My question is does anybody know exactly how these TMPS things work?  Is there a centrifugal switch that disconnects the battery?  If so how come they can be turned on by the EL-50448?

Is this tool (its only $10) really necessary?  If you know the 7 digit code of the sensor you are working with and have a GS911 can you just enter the code in the GS-911?

The only reason I purchased mine was because I want to change the battery in one of the sensors and I don't want to go to the trouble of changing the tire and THEN find it doesn't work!

Geoff

GS Jim

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2019, 02:27:12 AM »
Yes it is a centrifugal switch that turns on the sensor, how it gets turned on by the wake up tool I don't know, some electrical voodoo I guess, all I know is it works and that is good enough for me ;D It is to save the battery when not in use although I have a truck that the sensors are on all the time and it is 8 years old and still works fine, maybe those batteries are "truck" sized. The GS911 doesn't have voodoo so it won't  wake up the sensor, who knows maybe the next one will be GS911 wifivoodoo.  :o
The wake up tool also works on some vehicles for rotating tires and matching position also.

davtho1957

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2020, 05:12:51 AM »
When I first got my 2015 R1200 GSA, it was possible to program 2 sets of sensor ID's. Sometime during BMW service visits the ECU received an update and that is no longer the case. I have an Autel TS-401 TPMS tool. It allows me t read out the ID and wake the sensor up. During a brief tire/wheel change I noticed that the bike automatically recognized the other sensor on the wheel I had replaced (previously entered into system). It appears that if you change out one wheel, then ride 25 - 50 km, it will pick up the other previously used ID.