Author Topic: Tyre Pressure TPMS / Wake-Up tool for RDC  (Read 78540 times)

Skim

Re: Tyre Pressure TPMS / Wake-Up tool for RDC
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
check youtube how to change batteries of sensor the videos are they.

Be careful following the youtube videos!  They are at best real "Heath Robinson" attempts.

To do this successfully requires the epoxy/resin to be removed around the battery, the battery unsoldered and replaced with the correct one like this:

Attempting to remove the battery by other methods often results in the circuit board copper tracks being damages and broken.  I often have clients walking in "hat in hand", asking to repair their buggered circuit boards.

Do yourself a favour and do the job properly the first time.  You will have at least 2 more years of hassle free monitoring before the batteries require changing again.

Hi Jughead,

Pse help... I also attempted to replace with standard 2032 battery. However, after a few hundred Km's it failed. Have not removed the unit  again, but I suspect the centrifugal force dislodged the contacts. Where do you get the one pictured? Part number?

Regards
Skim

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »
Hi Skim

Most electronic component suppliers stock them.  No idea of the part number.  If you google "cr2032 solder" and go to Images you will see all the variations.

peter_m

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »
hi skim   if uk based then http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_tagged_lithium_coincell_catalogue.htm has what you need ( no connection) google for 2032 solder tag or tagged 2032

Skim

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
Jughead and Peter_m, thank you. Will Google and see what info I can get.
Regards
Skim

e7navy1999

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
Wish me luck, I am going to do thje Chinese TPMS and also change to a fresh battery before I install.  This is easy for me because i have my own tire changing and balancing system in my garage

e7navy1999

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2018, 03:25:59 PM »
issue: My rear TMPS K1600 2012 is reading 7-8psi low.  Actual tire pressure is 40-41psi, TMS reads 32-33psi. I suspect the Rear TPMS is bad.  I tried to do the rapid decompression of the rear tire a few times.  The Canbus responds as designed with a red triangle and the engine going into "LIMP" mode so I know the computer and TPMS are talking.  For some reason the Rear TPMS became un-calibrated.  I suspect it is toasted.  My BMW dealer said they have issues with many of the TPMS sensors doing this.  They told me to try the rapid decompression a  few times and that sometimes wakes the TPMS up and calibrates it.  A new BMW OEM TPMS is $220usd.  Another kidney donation! 

This is what I will try as my next step to troubleshoot the 7-8psi discrepancy in my rear k160 TPMS.  1. I purchased a : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MWMNL5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  EL-50448 TPMS tool for $16 from Amazon.  2. I also purchased two new CR2032 batteries with wires : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XYSW3R8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  about $12 total. 3. I purchased two new TPMS sensors from ....YES China:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/8532732-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Sensor-New-For-Fits-BMW-Genuine-High-Quality/253672435640?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649  8532732 Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor New For Fits BMW Genuine High Quality  $25 each.  free freight

I read on a previous blog that these new TPMS from China work on most BMW's 2012 to current year but that the battery they come with may be old...thus the new CR2032 battery with wires.  You can not solder the lithium battery as they get hot and it ruins them.  I do not like the idea of using a holder or just the existing metal prongs with hot glue to hold the battery in place.  Regular riding it would be find but once you hit some speed bumps or potholes at 80mph i think the battery would dislodge.  I plan to remove the glue in the new Chinese TPMS , TPMS, dig out the old battery and solder in new batteries using the wires directly to the terminals.  The next battery change in 3-5 years would be a really fast operation.  Since the CR2032 has a wire I will just epoxy the new battery an inch away from the new TPMS.  During a future changeout I just break the glue and put in a new battery with epoxy...should take about 5 minutes each. 

Why the EL-50448: The chinese TPMS do not seem to have a serial number on them.  This would read the TPMS during wake up mode and give the serial number for my GS911 input.  https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/procedures/rdc  The EL-50448 will also be able to test the Chinese battery and I may not even need to use the new wired CR2032 batteries this time around.  I will keep ya all posted

BALVIAMBE

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2018, 06:06:13 AM »
Hi,
i did the soldering on the battery and it is working fine already 2 years now. bad reading can be caused by battery also. just change it bro and all be fine. good luck.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2018, 06:43:43 AM »
@e7navy1999

Make sure that the TPM sensor you order from China operates at the correct frequency.  It needs to be one that communicates at 433MHz.

e7navy1999

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2018, 03:36:11 PM »
BALVIAMBE, Thanks for the bad battery tip.  I was going to try that first, The EL-50448 is suppose to be able to test the battery remotely.  I will try that out today.  The Chinese TPMS for $25 is suppose to be 433mhz. 

BALVIAMBE

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2018, 07:14:06 AM »
hi,
tpms should be 433 mhz that is it change battery bro all will work fine.

wmdowdy

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
i have the ATEQ VT-31, paid $119 for it and it wakes my sensors up instandly and displays the sensor number and the tire pressure. Works on my Audi Q7 also

e7navy1999

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
UPDATE Sept: I opened up the rear tired by just breaking one side of the bead.  Form there I was able to step on the tire and crush it done to make for plenty of room to remove the TPMS.  The old battery measured 2.67 DCV, The new battery measured 3.47 volts.  I followed the "de-glue" procedure mentioned earlier by a poster on this same link.  (took about 30 minutes) I soldered in the Black wire to negative (bottom tab) and red to positive (upper tab).  I did NOT fill in the cavity of the old TPMS with anything...just left it open.  Maybe I should have to help keep moisture out? Anyways I have to put on a new rear tire in about 1000 more miles so can do it then. The existing BMW TPMS terminal clips are extremely sturdy and solder very well.  The next battery change out will be very simple...maybe a 5 minute job at most. The new battery has two 2" long leads (+red/black-).  With ignition key on and tire not mounted but nearby the bike: I filled the tire with 40psi, proceeded with a rapid depressurization which "woke-up" the rear TPMS sensor then proceeded to fill up to 40 PSI.  The display ready 44PSI, Tire read 40PSI.  Better then the 8PSI difference I originally had but still not perfect.  Good enough?  I will run this pressure for a few weeks and see if it calibrates over time.  If it does not I will install the Chinese TPMS once it arrives next month during my tire change-out.  One odd issue: the CR032 is thinner then the OEM battery that is labeled 11Y8Ou,  same voltage

e7navy1999

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »
 I Phoned a local battery supply shop.  The CR2032 is exactly 1/2 the thinkness of the OEM BMW TPMS battery.  Part number listed previous post.  They recommend me to double up the CR2032 so as to get 3volts. The combined batteries should last just as long as the OEm battery.  The German battery is not available in the USA and they said appears to be a custom application battery made just for BMW.  I decided to just use a single battery and replace it every other tire change.   I will replace the front battery next month during a tire replacement as well

e7navy1999

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
Awe found it.  The TPMS Battery is actually a CR2050HR.  Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PCS-Maxell-CR2050HR-Lithium-Buttom-Battery-3V-Coin-Cell-Tab-welded/182085577865?epid=1065216573&hash=item2a65256c89:g:HAAAAOSwJQdXCAC-:rk:2:pf:0.  About $5 each. The CR2030 will work but maybe not for many years. 

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 08:47:37 PM »
Likely being the CR2032HR variant (=Heat Resistant, temperature-range from -40 degrees Celsius to +125 degrees Celsius)

The CR2032HR's thickness (height) is 3.2mm versus the CR2050HR 5.0mm
So a difference is 1.8mm, which is not that much difference, as there is in that respect "plenty room" within the BMW TPM Sensor to mount them.

The bigger difference is the mAh-values, meaning how much current it can maximum provide measured per hour, before it drops to 2.0 volts (the state at which it should be considered "empty")

The CR2032HR ia 200mAh, whilst the CR2050HR is 350mAh.
(but the CR2032HR has a higher acceleration Resistance of maximum 3300 G's versus 2000G's, which is, according to the manufacturers equivalent to acceleration when driving at 300km/h & using a 17-inch wheel)

Bottom-line: the CR2050HR should a fine replacement (too) for a dead battery and probably will last a bit longer versus the CR2032HR.

Getting a slight difference in reading the actual pressure often comes down to what tool you are using as a reference to compare the measurements with.
El cheapo tyre-pressure readers often give very slanted results.
Whilst investment in a good digital or analoge reader often give more accurate results.

TPM sensors, including BMW's, are so-called temperature-compensated.
Meaning, the pressure displayed on your dashboard is the pressure as if the tire is at 20 degrees Celsius.
Which a tire seldom is, hence also the reason the pressure does increase when the tyre does get warm.
Therefore you should always measure the pressure before riding and preferably pressurise your tyres a wee bit above but never below the desired pressure.
Where it really comes down to your personal preferences, and your brand of current tyres, but not excluding what the motorcycle manufacturer states in the user manual about tyre-pressures.
I like harder tyres as the bikes rolls & corners better for me, compared to what BMW dictates in my user manual.