Author Topic: Laptop Bluetooth Connection  (Read 12787 times)

aggieengineer

Laptop Bluetooth Connection
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »
I have a Bluetooth-enabled GS-911, and the wireless connection worked in the past with my Android phone. I'm now using an iPhone, and would like to make a wireless connection to my Toshiba laptop computer. The USB connection works fine, but I've never had any luck with a Bluetooth connection. It seems to pair readily using com port 40, and the blue light illuminates on the GS-911,  but when I select "Test Interface", I get the message "Response Read Error". No amount of tinkering with settings has helped.

Any ideas?

Inspector Gadget

Re: Laptop Bluetooth Connection
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »
iPhone is not supported by the current version of GS911, if that is your question.

aggieengineer

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
I only mention the iPhone because I switched to that and no longer have the connectivity offered by the Android. I do carry my Toshiba netbook when I travel, and would prefer to use Bluetooth to connect to that device. The Bluetooth connection may only be possible with cell phones, I'm just not sure. But wish it worked with Apple products!

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:09:38 AM »
I'm still not sure I understand your question correctly, but it is true that an iPhone has less services via Bleutooth available compared to an Andriod Phone.

But that is often due to the separate services (and Apps) that are switched on by the device and/or apps/services.

Looking at my laptop, my iPhone shows only Bleutooth PAN-network, whilst my Andriod shows Bleutooth PAN-network and Bleutooth Object Push. (exchange of cards or objects).

Please bear in mind that both Apps and services on the phone and the laptop (the Bleutooth stack) decide what can be exchanged and thus offered by these devices.

Also bear in mind that some laptop manufacturers sometimes only offer the "free" version of a Bluetooth programme, with some limited "stacks" of Bleutooth functionalities.

You can best check the website of your laptop if the manufacturer perhaps has an update or newer version available of the Bleutooth program for your laptop.

You could also check 2nd-source suppliers of Bleutooth software, but often you pay a lot of money for some things you perhaps do not need.

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 03:41:20 AM »
I'm still not sure I understand your question correctly, but it is true that an iPhone has less services via Bleutooth available compared to an Andriod Phone.

Ignore the iPhone part of his question.  It was background info only.  His question is simple: Will bluetooth work to connect my GS-911 to my netbook?

I believe the answer is only if using the generic Microsoft supplied windows driver.  This is described in the FAQ:  http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/can-i-use-the-pc-application-over-bluetooth/

aggieengineer

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:25:26 AM »
Thanks indeed for the information. I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Probably have to get my son to help me!