Author Topic: Hall sensor fault - BMW R1100S  (Read 11979 times)

BeenAround

Hall sensor fault - BMW R1100S
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »
Hi all,

We recently resealed the front engine cover on a mate's bike.  To do that, you have to remove the bottom alternator belt pulley and the ignition hall sensor plate behind it.  We also replaced the front crankshaft seal, although that was not the source of the leak.  The Hall sensor plate was installed where it had come from; i.e. in the same position using the discolouration on the plate to clamp it back in its original position.  Took it for a short ride after reassembly and was good.

When my mate took it for a longer ride, after about 70km the bike started cutting out and then restarting.  The problem got worse to the point the bike would not start.  When it got cold, it started fine.

Plugged in the GS911.  The Hall sensor test says it it is getting no signal from either hall sensor.  Presumably that is because the Hall sensor is not at the trigger point.

Can anyone suggest what we may have done wrong on reassembly of the Hall sensor plate?  We will, of course, have a look ourselves.  Bit some guidance on what we may be looking for would be very helpful,

Cheers,
BeenAround

Haakon

Re: Hall sensor fault - BMW R1100S
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:40:44 AM »
What comes to mind is a wiring problem?
Thinking of old and brittle wires?
(moving the Hall sensor plate around)
--------
Thanks for a good and detailed description!  :)
Good luck!
2000 F650-GS

BeenAround

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:06:49 AM »
Hi Haakon,

Thanks for your thoughts.  A few rums last night stimulated the logic that it may have nothing to do with the Hall sensors at all. If the Hall sensor were wrongly installed, it should manifest the problem when cold, but it doe snot.  It may be in the wires connected to the Hall sensors or, indeed, somewhere else in the wiring loom.  We will start at the Hall sensor plate, do the adjustment with a dial gauge in accordance with the GS911 procedure and see if that does the trick.  If not, we will have to go through the wiring loom to see if we can find a bare wire somewhere. 

The plastic sheath on the wiring loom is badly disintegrating.  That seems to be a common fault with BMW wiring on newer bikes.  My 2005 BMW R1200GS loom is cloth taped - all a bit last century.  It seems that what works in Europe often does not work in Australia.  I do not see wiring looms on old Japanese bikes deteriorating to the extent that European bikes do; i.e. not just BMWs.  For example, the rubber boots at the paralever pivot and gearbox spline output on my GS lasted only 5 years before perishing and splitting.  The rubber boot on the telelever ball joint split after about 6 years.  That costs you a whole ball joint - not that expensive in the scheme of things, but irritating nonetheless.

While I am banging on about reduced BMW quality, BMW has a big problem on its hands with the spoked rims on the new LC GS.  They are rubbish.  A mate has damaged 2 rims in 10,000km on his, basically doing graded dirt roads. The rims are weaker than the rubbish rims on 950 KTMs.  BMW is currently refusing to replace the rims on warranty - OEM front wheel replacement cost - AUD2,200.  The spoke nipples are too close to the outside of the rim and the metal is cheese.  I will wager the LC adventure comes out with different rims.

I will let you know how we get on with the S.

webberle

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:23:10 AM »
No Signal from Hall sensor(s) is "normal" as long as the engine does not run.....but hall sensors CAN have a problem when getting hot..cold the work, getting hot they start failing.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »
Can anyone suggest what we may have done wrong on reassembly of the Hall sensor plate?

Yes!  I know exactly what you did wrong.

You disturbed and messed with something that was working!  ;D

Your problem is most likely here.  Disturbing the wiring when it is old and frail results in the insulation coming apart.  It manifests itself especially when the bike warms up.  Most likely going to have to replace the hall sensor.