General Category > GS-911

Need help understanding a code 0x3A1B61

<< < (2/4) > >>

schuppi:
functional description
The camshaft sensor is designed as a non-contact Hall sensor. It records the 6 different flanks of the increment wheel on the intake camshaft.

From this, the DME calculates:
camshaft speed
Exact position of the camshaft
If the camshaft sensor fails, an emergency engine operation is possible with the crankshaft sensor.

BMW recommends an oscilloscope to measure this Hall IC.
Voltage change between 0 and 5V.

Wiring connector
1 > sensor output
2 > ground
3 > voltage supply 12V

Thebmwman:
Is there any parameter in this regard that can be measured with the GS911 data? If so, would you instruct me how to do it?

Borgia:
In the absence of an oscilloscope I would disconnect the sensor from the bike and apply 12V to the sensor and connect an LED with a resistor to the 5V logic level output and rotate the engine by hand. The LED will indicate the presence/absence of the signal as the cam rotates.

Thebmwman:
Oscilloscope is available but I was wondering if there may be a function, data, or similar that can help analyze the sensor at the GS911.

Thebmwman:
BMW recommends an oscilloscope to measure this Hall IC.
Voltage changes between 0 and 5V.

Try with an oscilloscope and digital voltmeter with the following results at the connector with the sensor unplugged

Wiring connector
1 > Sensor output.    11.4 Volts
2 > ground.   0 volts
3 > voltage supply 12V.   12.5 volts

Since there is 11.4 volts where the sensor signal of 5 volts should be, shall I assume the ECU is a culprit?

Will bench-test the sensor and show the results to validate I am doing the test in the right way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version