Author Topic: ESA Calibration Error after shock rebuild "Min pulse count not reached at rear"  (Read 2753 times)

FotB

I have a GS911 with the latest firmware connected to my iPhone. The rear shock was rebuilt by EPM with my ESA mounted on a HyperPro shock. With the shock connected with the engine running or off I get the calibration error above. The preload indicator on the dash will cycle through single to double rider icons but the preload motor won't run.

With the GS911, the motor will make a very small initial pulse when I start the calibration then stop and give the error. Have talked to EPM who says the GS911 reads codes differently and suggests mounting the shock to take to a BMW dealership for diagnosis with their system. The BMW tech told him that the GS911 reads codes differently and had no advise.

Before I mount the shock it would be great to understand what the problem might be. Any inputs/advise appreciated.

Andy

2009 R1200RT with ESA I

FotB

There's not much written about this on the web apparently so here is the solution to this error if you reuse your ESA on rebuilt shocks. There is a min and max sensor covering the 10mm preload range. If the technician moves the motor there is a chance that the motor gets "parked" beyond the min sensor so that when the motor starts to move, it can't find the end sensor and stops immediately with the subject error message.

The solution is to put 12 volts on the red/black two wire lead directly to the ESA motor so that it will move to its midrange. Stop the motor before it runs to the end and reverse polarity in case it does to center the motor. Again, there is only 10mm of full travel and the motor turns slowly.

Then run calibration with your GS911 which will run the full range and report min of 0 and max over 900+ in my case with an 09 RT.

EPM, the suspension dealer told me to install the shock and have codes read by the BMW dealer saying that the GS911 "reads codes differently" than their diagnostic. Do this instead. The GS911 is a great tool.

Ruan

• Administrator
Hi Andy

Thank you for the detailed description of the problem and the solution, I'm sure this will help someone down the line as with all write ups.

Kind regards and safe travels
Ruan