Author Topic: New Tires - Set new pressure  (Read 4507 times)

SamHanks

New Tires - Set new pressure
« on: June 04, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »
Hi,
2014r1200GSA
New tire are both 35psi old were 42 & 36psi
What is the procedure? Can GS-911 change what psi the bike is looking for?
thanks

Ruan

• Administrator
Re: New Tires - Set new pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 02:29:10 PM »
Hi SamHanks

May I ask what is different on the tyre? Is it a different width or what is the motivation for a different pressure requirement?

Currently not, I've sent this through to our developers for review, but this isn't on our roadmap as of yet.

Kind regards
Ruan

SamHanks

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 05:11:45 PM »
Ruan,

Hi, yes, I was waiting for this question. The old tires called for 42 & 36 the new call for 35 front and back. The BMW ECU is looking for 42 & 36 so is incompatible with the new tire stated at 35 psi. I see instructions for BMW cars with TFT interfaces you go into a mode to reset the computer by driving around for 20 min with the new tire pressure and the ECU learns and reset to that new value. My 2014 is not TFT so thought the GS-911 could edit the default PSI setting.

BTW even though I've updated my setting to American vales F, PSI, Gallon... When I view the GS-911 readout, my pressure reads 74psi. But the external tire pressure gauge reads 35 psi. I would call that a bug.

Thanks for being the only one at all interested in responding to my request for help. I've posted two questions here, one for GS and one for EZ and in 4 days I got only your interest. But I'm not alone in the lack of support here. Just look at the view to reply difference for other users questions. This speaks to how much the Hex products are cloaked in mystery.

Like so many companies, they are more interested in expanding their markets before serving their base. I guess I'm on my own. Well, at least I can warn others about their expectations about the Hex products.

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 04:53:54 PM »
Hi SamHanks

Thanks for the additional details. That's a bit strange, with the nature of BMW, I would suspect that if these pressure changes are allowed to deviate from spec (and that's rare), they would be able to do it with the dealer tool. From what we've found previously, only on oil cooled bikes though, the thresholds are available, but not on the LC bikes from what we've seen.

Were the tyres purchased from a BMW dealer or from a 3rd party?

Regarding the readout of 74 PSI, was this readout done while the bike is stationary? If so, it's most likely a default value that the sensor provides prior to activation - you can test this with the bike on the center stand, put it in gear and let the rear tyre roll for a few seconds until the sensor is woken up. Now run the real-time values and check whether the rear tyre value now reflects correctly?

I do work at HEX, so we naturally support our own forum :-)

To help us out with lifting the veils of mystery that appear, could you give me some feedback on what exactly is not known to you or people you've spoken to?

Kind regards
Ruan

warmeffect

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 11:13:01 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if you could explain the tyre's apparent change. Is the difference in pressure demand attributable to a different width, and if so, why? 2048
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 08:51:33 AM by warmeffect »

CarolGray

• wordle hint
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 08:52:09 AM »
I've been following up on your question, as well as Ruan's answer. Actually, after reading it, I have learned a lot more. wordle hint, there are so many things that I don't know.

botus

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 02:58:41 PM »
Hi,

2014r1200GSA
New tire are both 35psi old were 42 & 36psi

not surprised about so few responses - your opening question was ambiguous at best, and the topic is a minefield of complex elements to grasp and even harder to disseminate - here's 30 mins of stuff I've written up, most will complain about, and far fewer will act upon 

vehicles (cars and bikes) come from a vehicle manufacturer with a range of tyres and recco tyre pressures they have tested and believe are safe/suitable/compatible - on bikes with advanced rider aids they then have to calibrate the system's brains and the maths based on tyres that are readily available and suit the bike and those systems

in the mix, tyre size, rim size, speed rating, load rating, compound, carcass design and construction etc. those basics, all need to work with and not fight the bike's frame / suspension / damping / weight and handling and safety system's characteristics

on occasions there are odd peculiarities on a given bike model and the manu works with chosen tyre manus on specific customisation of a base tyre that was available for any bike, and customise the carcass and or the tyre compound to try and combat foibles in the bikes behaviours (the first zzr1400 is one example, and I think the correct tyre gets a b designator to say this tyre is built slightly differently to combat some failing of the original bike.  This bike manu bodge up, is not as uncommon as it ought to be !!!.

thus the manu have a set of tyres and indeed an intended vehicle use in mind and go about setting their bike to work inside these parameters - so if they say 35 front and 46 psi rear and set their own safety systems to work best in this condition - that's how it is - they do not and in my mind shouldn't bother to allow customisation of said safety systems for the the bike that they can't control

recco fit tyres for this bike will not say 35psi all round and even if the generic pressures of an allegedly compatible tyre recco 35 psi both ends - I doubt BMW recco using those pressures for this vehicle fitment and this tyre

so now we are heading into the unknown and unusual circumstances of rider instigated modification - its very common to see USA riders think car tyres are suitable for motorcycles - they are not and never will be, and most certainly should never go on a solo motorcycle.  people making this modification should have the bike impounded and scrapped, and their license to use "public roads" removed

next we have tyre manus offering generic fitment sizes and about right tyre pressures - its not always a FULLY tested solution with the manu test riders in an exhaustive thorough 5k mile test.  They sell and advertise tyres - and sadly no one cares any more about pretty much anything - if its round and black and you're not dead, it was close enough is today's attitude

that said I'm surprised the bike is alerting you to the small change, if it is, it's likely because you have ABS Pro (cornering ABS and traction control or the lazy manu set all bike warning's to suit an optional rider aid) and thus its expecting the tyres to behave a certain way to keep those safety systems operating within normal parameters - and puts up warnings when it doesn't think these are being met

if something is saying 35 psi both ends, I guess you bought sub-optimal tyres.... 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 03:05:48 PM by botus »