Author Topic: Transferring logged ECU data .CSV files  (Read 4669 times)

hefy_jefy

Transferring logged ECU data .CSV files
« on: March 19, 2022, 11:37:09 PM »
I apologize if I have asked this question before but its come up again.  I use an iPad in the garage to communicate with the GS-911.  After each service on my R1200RTLC I reset the service counter and log about 10 mins of ECU data to my GS-911.  So I now have a number of .CSV files on my GS-911 that I would like to download and import into Excel on my PC.
Is there a simple way to do this?  I can connect via my PC to the GS-911 either wirelessly or via USB but I see no option to download the files.
I did mange to get the most recent file by sending it via email from my iPad, not even sure how that worked, the email did not have a file attached but a link to (I think) the GS-911, I had to copy/paste the email into a .txt file then rename it to a .CSV - there has to be an easier way?
Geoff

karlh

Re: Transferring logged ECU data .CSV files
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 02:22:34 PM »
Here's a quote from the Hex Code web site (https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/how-do-i-view-my-logged-data):

"How do I view my logged data?

In 2009 we added the ability to log real-time data.  As the GS-911 Interface itself does not have any flash memory to save logged data, the real-time data is saved on the host device (PC or mobile device). As a result, the capacity is dependent on how much free space there is on your host device (especially keep this in mind with older phones and mobile devices!).

The PC version logs the data to a .CSV file (semicolon ";" separated) - see the "How-do-i-import-and-view-the-csv-realtime-data" FAQ on how to view the .CSV data.

The Mobile versions have the ability to upload the logged data to our server.  This functionality is still in testing, hence there is no direct link to logbook application... Once you have uploaded the data from your mobile device, it will show you the URL to the logbook application: https://www.hexlogbook.com/logbook/

Any feedback would be appreciated!"

The logbook site is not yet up and running, so I'm not sure where your data is.
Karl
2007 R1200ST

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 01:15:59 AM »
Here's a quote from the Hex Code web site (https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/how-do-i-view-my-logged-data):

"How do I view my logged data?

In 2009 we added the ability to log real-time data.  As the GS-911 Interface itself does not have any flash memory to save logged data, the real-time data is saved on the host device (PC or mobile device). As a result, the capacity is dependent on how much free space there is on your host device (especially keep this in mind with older phones and mobile devices!).

The PC version logs the data to a .CSV file (semicolon ";" separated) - see the "How-do-i-import-and-view-the-csv-realtime-data" FAQ on how to view the .CSV data.

The Mobile versions have the ability to upload the logged data to our server.  This functionality is still in testing, hence there is no direct link to logbook application... Once you have uploaded the data from your mobile device, it will show you the URL to the logbook application: https://www.hexlogbook.com/logbook/

Any feedback would be appreciated!"

The logbook site is not yet up and running, so I'm not sure where your data is.

The info refers to the old yellow GS911 which does not have internal storage, it does not apply to the red GS911 WiFi which has internal storage

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 01:30:59 AM »
I apologize if I have asked this question before but its come up again.  I use an iPad in the garage to communicate with the GS-911.  After each service on my R1200RTLC I reset the service counter and log about 10 mins of ECU data to my GS-911.  So I now have a number of .CSV files on my GS-911 that I would like to download and import into Excel on my PC.
Is there a simple way to do this?  I can connect via my PC to the GS-911 either wirelessly or via USB but I see no option to download the files.
I did mange to get the most recent file by sending it via email from my iPad, not even sure how that worked, the email did not have a file attached but a link to (I think) the GS-911, I had to copy/paste the email into a .txt file then rename it to a .CSV - there has to be an easier way?
Geoff

I assume you have a red GS911 WiFi & are using a browser on the iPAD to communicate to the GS911, I also assume you have ticked save to SD card when doing the logging as you say you have multiple csv files showing as stored on the GS911

When you connect the GS911 to PC with USB you can log into the GS911 via browser & save the files to the PC assuming you have the GS911 & PC set up on your home WiFi network

hefy_jefy

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 06:39:30 PM »
Thank you, yes I do have the red version.  However if I just connect it to my PC I don't see anywhere that I can download or view the the .CSV files. I can "View Debug Logs" (.log files) but they are not what I need.
If I connect the GS-911 to the bike I can connect via wireless and then I can view the .CSV files.  But there is no way to download them.  I got around the problem by opening the file, selecting all the text then copy/paste to a .TXT file on the PC.
I am sure in past versions it was much easier?
Geoff

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 01:52:22 AM »
Thank you, yes I do have the red version.  However if I just connect it to my PC I don't see anywhere that I can download or view the the .CSV files. I can "View Debug Logs" (.log files) but they are not what I need.
If I connect the GS-911 to the bike I can connect via wireless and then I can view the .CSV files.  But there is no way to download them.  I got around the problem by opening the file, selecting all the text then copy/paste to a .TXT file on the PC.
I am sure in past versions it was much easier?
Geoff

When the GS911 is plugged into US it will also log into your home WiFi if yoiu configure it to do so, then you can use the browser GUI to download the real time logs, it does not sound like you have the logging set to store logs to SD card though

hefy_jefy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 06:16:12 AM »
Thank you.  However nowhere in either the GS-911 Diagnostic app or the GS-911 wifi utility do I see a reference to log to an SD card.  Also I am logging to the device itself not an SD card.
Geoff

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 09:59:35 AM »
Thank you.  However nowhere in either the GS-911 Diagnostic app or the GS-911 wifi utility do I see a reference to log to an SD card.  Also I am logging to the device itself not an SD card.
Geoff

The SD card is internal to the GS911, I also indicated using the Web Browser to download the log files to PC not the WiFi utility od PC App

Have you set up the GS911 to log into your WiFi network ?, you can set that up with the WiFi Utility
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 10:04:09 AM by WayneC »

hefy_jefy

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 09:30:18 PM »
I am clearly missing something here...
I plug the GS-911 which has the .CSV files stored on it into a USB port my PC, after a short time it beeps.
I run the GS-911 Diagnostics app, two devices appear, one via USB the other via wireless.
I can go to the Options page for either device but nowhere do I see a "log to SD" option, or any means of displaying the logged CSV files that are stored on the device.
I tried to a attached a screen shot of the options page, but for some reason that doesn't work "Internal Server Error".
 >:(
Geoff

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 03:10:32 PM »
Hi Geoff

Thank you for the details provided. Just so that this information is available for searches:
  • The GS-911 WiFi's SD card is used to store real time values that are logged while working on your motorcycle.
  • The logs that are available under the Options menu is what we call Debug logs, these are used in the event that something isn't working as expected, and our developers review it.

To access the real time values logged previously, you can navigate to any controller and select Real-Time values. Once here, it will display all the different values that can be viewed. From here please scroll all the way to bottom of the page, you'll see 3 options (1 greyed out initially), Display Values; Display Graph (greyed out); View Log History.

Select View log history and you'll see all the existing saved files from your device's SD card.

If you click on it and it doesn't download, but rather opens a new webpage with the text plainly pasted on the browser, right click anywhere and select "Save Page as..." - this will then open a standard dialog box that allows you to select a location for the .csv file to be stored.

Once saved, navigate to the location you saved it and open it with excel (or another spreadsheet application), and you will be good to go.

Feel free to let me know if you have any troubles.

Kind regards and safe travels
Ruan

Skim

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 01:08:44 PM »
Previously, I used the Yellow USB unit and logged real time values to the computer. Very easy to view and chart later om desktop PC.

Now with the newer Wi-Fi version... from the above it seems that the GS-911 must be connected to the bike? (In order to access the relevant controller).  I connect via USB.

What is the best way to save real time .csv files to computer to be analysed later?

Can the old real time log files on the SD card be deleted?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:10:50 PM by Skim »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 02:44:48 PM »
Previously, I used the Yellow USB unit and logged real time values to the computer. Very easy to view and chart later om desktop PC.

Now with the newer Wi-Fi version... from the above it seems that the GS-911 must be connected to the bike? (In order to access the relevant controller).  I connect via USB.

What is the best way to save real time .csv files to computer to be analysed later?

Can the old real time log files on the SD card be deleted?

Connect the GS911 WiFi to the bike prior to starting use browser GUI to set up the logging to go to internal SD Card &  ride on until you want the logging to end, it can go on through ignition on/off cycles until you want it to end & at that time you can either log in again to end logging or simply disconnect GS911 & you can download the files to the PC using browser GUI plus delete them

Set up the GS911 to log into the household WiFi, it only needs power from USB or a 12v power supply
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 02:49:30 PM by WayneC »

Skim

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 10:37:05 PM »
Thank you. Will retry next two days.

Specifically use the USB connection because workshop far from house and no WiFi coverage. No other need for WiFi coverage in workshop.

USB is an option on this unit??. The functions I need to access is available through USB.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 03:12:15 AM »
Thank you. Will retry next two days.

Specifically use the USB connection because workshop far from house and no WiFi coverage. No other need for WiFi coverage in workshop.

USB is an option on this unit??. The functions I need to access is available through USB.

You dont need to use the Home WiFi, you can use the phone in D2D mode to log into the GS911 to start/stop logging & get the files, you can also set up the GS911 to log into a phone hot spot & also start/stop logging or get files, iTunes on the Apple phones though makes file handling a little more complex than the PC or Android phones

In pro workshops WiFi avoids the need for USB cables & low cost WiFi extenders are used to improve WFi coverage around large workshops, in private workshops an old discarded or low cost router could be used for workshop only WiFi for use with a MAC or PC
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 03:14:50 AM by WayneC »

Skim

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 06:40:12 AM »
Thank you. I'm 72 years old, battling to remember my own name. Tried the above a few times but i lose out on riding then which is why I'm still happy with the USB. :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:43:08 AM by Skim »