Author Topic: LED Fault Code 0x800E9C  (Read 3339 times)

SullyCuse

LED Fault Code 0x800E9C
« on: March 20, 2022, 11:32:12 PM »
Hello All.

I am new here, so not sure how to properly ask a question.

I just purchased a 2016 BMW S1000XR and there is a fault code due to the LEDs installed by a previous owner.  Here is the info I get from the GS911, and it will not let me removed the code.

I did search for this code before posting, with no results.

Any suggestions or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Fault Code Value : 0x800E9C
Fault Code Meaning : Front side light 2, open circuit
Currently present : YES
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 1
Logistic (Healing) count : 40
Fault Code History :
Record number : 1
Odometer : 23841.0 km
Absolute Time : 13678279
System voltage : 12.30 V
Ignition status : 1

GS Jim

Re: LED Fault Code 0x800E9C
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 12:00:48 AM »
I removed the 0x and the code was read and came up, tada, side light fault. The 2 seems to indicate the right light.
 Do the lights actually work?
When you say you can't remove the code does that mean that it comes back because as long as the condition exists the code will reappear.

SullyCuse

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 02:46:54 AM »
Thanks for the response.

When I try to clear fault codes, it would not remove this fault code, and now that I take a better look at that right head light, it is working but nowhere as bright as the left.

I am not very familiar with LED installs, so thus I have no idea even where to start. Again, thanks for all the feedback/input.

Pics: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/lPyIAPjaS8ChPpWsP8BKIA.Go9WTe3J_0nWpsQmch8GTN

GS Jim

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 03:44:04 AM »
When I saw right side light I assumed it was the turn signal light, but yea the headlight looks lame.
 If possible try moving the bulb over and or switching the wires to see if the condition/fault moves with it. When you have non spec and OEM (i presume) electrical parts being installed you can open up a whole can of worms sometimes as the bike sees electrical draws that it doesn't like. Also check all the wiring and connections for any issues.

SullyCuse

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 04:04:49 AM »
Thanks.

Yep, seems have some more work cut out for me to see what the previous owner did. I may need to rewire the entire thing and install a Hex EzCan to clean it up.

I appreciate the feedback.

SullyCuse

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 08:42:46 AM »
When I saw right side light I assumed it was the turn signal light, but yea the headlight looks lame.
 If possible try moving the bulb over and or switching the wires to see if the condition/fault moves with it. When you have non spec and OEM (i presume) electrical parts being installed you can open up a whole can of worms sometimes as the bike sees electrical draws that it doesn't like. Also check all the wiring and connections for any issues.

UPDATE! The resistor worked! No more LAMPF! 

Here is the resistor I used for the 194 parking lamp bulbs in the US.   https://amzn.to/3LU9AA0

It seems the code is for the parking light LED bulb.  The 2 must mean the left when sitting on the bike.  The dim light was due to the fact the right side had a standard parking light, while the left had the LED.  The headlight itself was not on, due to I had not started the bike. Both LED headlights works perfectly.  I bought two new LED parking lights, and now I have 2 fault codes, 1 & 2.  So now I have ordered a resistor to put on the parking lights. I'll see if that gets rid of the error. Fingers crossed.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/d1-6rm_VTKSnNE3hUBVtoA.ZZpH4qxmMMvKbhlnrZ1Obo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 02:20:23 AM by SullyCuse »