Author Topic: New GS911 cannot access internet. to enable service options  (Read 1568 times)

Ducdude

New GS911 cannot access internet. to enable service options
« on: January 06, 2024, 06:31:05 PM »
After years of fantastic service, I FINALLY turned in my original Bluetooth GS911 for a shiny new Wi-Fi unit.

All seems as it should be via the USB interface with a PC with access to the internet.

When testing with my iPhone via Wi-Fi I am not able to access any of the service options.  I can read the data, but the system says that device to device interface without internet connectivity will not allow access to the service modes.

As the phone is using the GS911 wi-fi for interface I am not sure about accessing the internet at the same time on the iPhone to allow access to the service functions while away from the PC?

With the bike powered and 911 attached and the kill switch on run I set the gs911 to my local wifi and then set my phone to the same local wifi and I could not get a connection.  I also tried the hotspot procedure found in the FAQs and that also did not seem to work.

I am getting a tad off put by this after many years of perfection found in the old yellow 911. 

I am sure I am missing something, but it really should not be this hard…Glad I am not in west bumfu(k on the side of the road.

Anyone have any tips or procures for getting internet access on an iphone to allow the service functions in the GS911?

Many Thanks !

Eric

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: New GS911 cannot access internet. to enable service options
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 01:50:22 AM »
When using D2D with the iPhone accessing the GS911 there will be no internet access for the GS911

Set up the iPhone to be a hot spot & have the GS911 connect to the iPhone, the GS911 will have internet

Ducdude

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 05:16:43 AM »
Thanks for the help....I have tried the Wifi and the hot spot a few times today on the bike and off.  I still have not been able to get internet connectivity with the phone. 

This one has me stumped..

Eric 

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 01:29:26 AM »
The reason will be you are thinking back to front, you connect a device to the source of a network

Have you set up/configured the hot spot on the phone then connected the GS911 to it rather than connect the phone to the GS911 with it set to D2D ?, I would use the WiFi utility to see what networks the GS911 can see & could connect to, it should see the iPhone hot spot & then you would configure the GS911 to connect to the phone so it is saved in the GS911, remember the GS911 can save up to 10 networks & will auto connect
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:38:18 AM by WayneC »

Ducdude

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 02:17:50 AM »
Many Thanks,

I did get the Wifi to work by making sure I saved the set up for each network when adding the pass code. . 

That said I still cannot seem to get the 911  to see the hotspot no matter what I try..

So I am 1/2 way there. 

Cheers,
Eric

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 02:46:41 AM »
OK good to hear you are able to set up/save networks other than the iPhone, it suggests the issue is with the phone, do other devices connect to the phone hot spot, can you see the phone hot spot in network set up on the GS911 ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 02:48:20 AM by WayneC »

Ruan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 10:01:19 AM »
Many Thanks,

I did get the Wifi to work by making sure I saved the set up for each network when adding the pass code. . 

That said I still cannot seem to get the 911  to see the hotspot no matter what I try..

So I am 1/2 way there. 

Cheers,
Eric

Hi Eric

The iPhones are a special breed, personally, I feel it's the biggest scam in earth's history :-) but, personal bias aside, you can enable compatibility mode as explained below:
https://it-training.apple.com/tutorials/support/sup040

Note that since the release of the iPhone 12, the hotspots are defaulted to 5GHz networks, and in order to make it 2.4GHz (the required frequency for a GS-911 to see the network), compatibility mode is required.

Once connected to the hotspot, and you're having trouble detecting the GS-911 on the WiFi app, reinstall the app on your mobile and accept all the permissions. They alter their required permissions to locate devices on a network more frequently than Windows updates, so we have to release a new version every so often.

Kind regards and safe travels
Ruan