Author Topic: Problem with cooling system S1000RR  (Read 7006 times)

jakutash

• Beta testers
  • BMW S1000RR 15+
Problem with cooling system S1000RR
« on: September 05, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »
Hi there! I need your help, I have strange things happening with the cooling system. On hot days,temperature  grows despite the turned on fans. I changed the radiator cap in the hope that it would help, it slowed down the rate of increase in temperature a little but did not save me. I want to replace the thermostat. I think he does not open the valve completely and the fluid does not circulate. Is it possible to check it somehow using gs 911? maybe pressure measurements in the cooling system?

Moto: BMW S1000RR 2015

any soap is welcome

Ruan

• Administrator
Re: Problem with cooling system S1000RR
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 09:57:52 AM »
Hi Jakutash

For diagnosing and issue like this, the GS-911 can be used to run an autoscan/read fault codes on your engine ECU, which will display any faults that are detected as either previously present, or currently present. What this means is that in the event that the thermostat is not sending the expected values to your bike's ECU, a fault code will be thrown on your ECU - this can be used to confirm that the problem is in fact the thermostat, and you can proceed to replace it.

The GS-911 also allows reading and logging of real time values - this can be used to check specific values relating to your cooling system, which can also help to identify where exactly the problem is.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards
Ruan

jakutash

• Beta testers
  • BMW S1000RR 15+
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 12:58:23 PM »
Hi Jakutash

For diagnosing and issue like this, the GS-911 can be used to run an autoscan/read fault codes on your engine ECU, which will display any faults that are detected as either previously present, or currently present. What this means is that in the event that the thermostat is not sending the expected values to your bike's ECU, a fault code will be thrown on your ECU - this can be used to confirm that the problem is in fact the thermostat, and you can proceed to replace it.

The GS-911 also allows reading and logging of real time values - this can be used to check specific values relating to your cooling system, which can also help to identify where exactly the problem is.

Kind regards
Ruan

The problem is that termostat is not electricial... it is mechanical so no errors founded... 

GS Jim

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 05:19:21 PM »
You could perhaps go old school and remove the thermostat (likely a lot of work) suspend it in a pot of water on the stove, start heating and observe when it opens and use a cooking thermometer to see what temperature it happens at.

jakutash

• Beta testers
  • BMW S1000RR 15+
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 01:55:17 PM »
You could perhaps go old school and remove the thermostat (likely a lot of work) suspend it in a pot of water on the stove, start heating and observe when it opens and use a cooking thermometer to see what temperature it happens at.

thanks

jakutash

• Beta testers
  • BMW S1000RR 15+
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »
Maybe some one can read my logs from GS911 abot temp rising

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »
Jakutash

From your logs, your thermostat appears to be working.  Unfortunately your log starts a little late, but you do catch it right as it starts opening.  You can see that from the "Coolant Temp" column. 

At time 2087 (row 9) the temp is 90°.  The temp then drops off to 89.3° at time 20997 (row 18) and then starts climbing again.  This is when the thermostat opens.

It is a sealed system, so the fans should only kick in at around 105°, at which point the temp should start dropping off to about 95°, where the fans will stop.

jakutash

• Beta testers
  • BMW S1000RR 15+
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 12:59:41 AM »
Jakutash

From your logs, your thermostat appears to be working.  Unfortunately your log starts a little late, but you do catch it right as it starts opening.  You can see that from the "Coolant Temp" column. 

At time 2087 (row 9) the temp is 90°.  The temp then drops off to 89.3° at time 20997 (row 18) and then starts climbing again.  This is when the thermostat opens.

It is a sealed system, so the fans should only kick in at around 105°, at which point the temp should start dropping off to about 95°, where the fans will stop.

Thank you very much for comment. I did not show the whole picture, unfortunately, at 90 degrees I slightly accelerated... after the temperature reached 105 degrees, it did not go down, it lingered a little and went further up, this worries me.

Desmondtully

-
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 09:04:59 PM »
I don't really see a problem with this. It's more like a recreation rather than plagiarism. You know, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that.

Kogeltje

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »
I also had some cooling issues last year.

Replaced the Coolant and bleeded all the air.
Make sure you bleed Out all the air from the system.

Turns out my radiator cap was broken. Replaced That and No issues anymore.

Brentuning also adjusted the fan temp to 85celcius. So the bike runs cooler.

It would be a great feature to set the fan temp with the GS-911.
2012 S1000RR Sapphire Black

- Full Ti HP4 system with decat
- SprintFilter P08
- Brentuning AlphaN Stage3 Final Edition

jakutash

• Beta testers
  • BMW S1000RR 15+
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »
I also had some cooling issues last year.

Replaced the Coolant and bleeded all the air.
Make sure you bleed Out all the air from the system.

Turns out my radiator cap was broken. Replaced That and No issues anymore.

Brentuning also adjusted the fan temp to 85celcius. So the bike runs cooler.

It would be a great feature to set the fan temp with the GS-911.

Hi bro. Yeah first of all i change my radiator cap. Then new coolant. i Also have BT flash/ but was steel hot.  Then i changed termostat, i cant correctly check it, because it is very cold outside...

By the way how to check this: Make sure you bleed Out all the air from the system.
How correctly?

BMWS1KRR

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 08:37:46 PM »
Hi Jakutash

Kind regards
Ruan

Here is your possible problem. Speed vs air flow.

First of all the S1000RR was not designed for commuter traffic. You cannot poke along at 20-40KPH and get enough air flow across the radiator for the cooling effect to be efficient. So then there is the electric fan. Turning on the electric fan does nothing for the S1000RR because it is too small and there is only one. There is only one for weight saving. There is only one because BMW Motorrad never designed the S1000RR to be anything but a canyon carving / road racing bike. Riding on the street is a luxury that can be done, as long as you are moving at least 50KPH.

Turing the fan on early can effect the fueling on cold start up mornings as well. The engine is designed around 180-205F. Fan on is 212F ( 100C ) .. that is when some cooling can take effect to help in dissipate heat back to 180-205F

jakutash

• Beta testers
  • BMW S1000RR 15+
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2021, 08:57:43 PM »
Hi Jakutash

Kind regards
Ruan

Here is your possible problem. Speed vs air flow.

First of all the S1000RR was not designed for commuter traffic. You cannot poke along at 20-40KPH and get enough air flow across the radiator for the cooling effect to be efficient. So then there is the electric fan. Turning on the electric fan does nothing for the S1000RR because it is too small and there is only one. There is only one for weight saving. There is only one because BMW Motorrad never designed the S1000RR to be anything but a canyon carving / road racing bike. Riding on the street is a luxury that can be done, as long as you are moving at least 50KPH.

Turing the fan on early can effect the fueling on cold start up mornings as well. The engine is designed around 180-205F. Fan on is 212F ( 100C ) .. that is when some cooling can take effect to help in dissipate heat back to 180-205F

do you recommend me to turn on the fans early or still stock value?

about airflow and design is questionable because I have friends who ride these bikes in Dubai and they say they have never experienced such problems

BMWS1KRR

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2021, 09:49:50 PM »
Look at the fan. Do you really think it is large enough to create maximum cooling effect at low speeds to sitting at a red light? Its designed to work in a pit lane situation where you are waiting on the release of the bikes on the track.

This guy wrote a good reference to the cooling system and design.

https://www.bmwhp.com/should-changes-be-made-to-fan-on-temperature-setting-in-ecu/