Author Topic: F800 stalling at idle when engine warm  (Read 5160 times)

Skim

F800 stalling at idle when engine warm
« on: August 14, 2021, 10:47:50 AM »
Have a 2013 F800GS with 32,000 Km on clock than runs very well. Only problem, when warmed up, say after travelling 40+Km, the following happens. It may stall immediately on stopping and/or disengaging the clutch. At other times it will idle at around 1300 rpm (on the bike rev counter), momentarily dip to around 800 rpm and back to normal. It may do this a few times and then just cut out. These occur very randomly and only when the bike is warm.

Googled, it seems a common problem judging from the number of posts on forums. Listed around 12 suggested cures ranging from fuel pump replacement, TB, TPS replacement to injector cleaner added to each tank fill. No one of these cures seemed to work for everybody. Also, very few successful solutions are posted. 

There are no fault codes registered. My very limited knowledge seems to suggest that the bike is in closed loop mode when this occurs. I removed, checked and cleaned the Idle Actuator Controller valve. It was clean, moved smoothly and the stepper motor sounds good. Also acts smoothly and normal when cycling ignition. The hoses to the idling circuit are clean, clear not pinched and in good condition. Opened the throttle valves and blew compressed air at 40 psi through idling channels. All clear.

Considering the randomness,  the only other possibilities I can think of at this stage is Lambda sensor or as suggested in forums, dealer hardware update (which this bike seems to have never had). Fail to grasp that fuel pump, TB, TPS and FPC replacement, or blocked venting of the fuel tank could cause this?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Borgia

Re: F800 stalling at idle when engine warm
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 03:07:15 PM »
Did you reset adaptations?
Hey BMW: No service manual = no new bike.

Skim

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 11:32:37 AM »
I did. 3 Times. No change.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 09:15:50 PM »
Dealer software (not hardware) update!

Skim

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 10:49:16 AM »
Thank you Jughead. Typing error...  software.

Arranged the software update last week. Report back from dealer...
1. Updated firmware
2. Still had idling issue
3. Further diagnosis found cyl 2 spark plug electrode gap too small... which they reset and the problem was solved.

Bike has only travelled 12 Km since then with no report of stalling evident.

Once again with my limited knowledge... initial report was that the bike performed 'very' well when riding. At times, even after 45 mins riding idled for 3+ minutes without stalling. What is the likelihood of a constant defect (spark plug electrode gap setting) causing the random stalling/occasional rpm drop at idle?