Author Topic: ABS and brake bleeding  (Read 3105 times)

RexBuck

ABS and brake bleeding
« on: July 15, 2021, 07:21:35 PM »
2015 BMW 1200GS
GS911 WiFi
Bled brakes last fall.  Normally I would do the procedure without activating the ABS pump with no problems.  This time, I decided to follow instructions and include the step activating the ABS pump.  In the end, I was unable to completely bleed the front brakes.  They are mushy and have since become a little worse.  When I was doing the bleed, I ran at least a pint of new brake fluid through the front brakes and could not get it any better.  The front brake lever now compresses down to about 1/4" of the grip - too close for me.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

CraigHunter@USA.com

Re: ABS and brake bleeding
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 09:30:01 PM »
Check your Banjo Bolt at the Front Brake Reservoir... it often traps/hides bubbles.

1. Turn Bars Left with Bike on SideStand (puts BanjoBolt at top-most point),
2. Cover EVERTHING with a towel so no Brake Fluid stains come to paint or especially your dash,
3. Squeeze FB Lever about 33%, then
4. Caaaarefully & Slowly loosen Banjo Bolt at FB Reservoir so fluid only seeps out
(you don't want it to squirt out since you can't see any bubbles if there were any).

The above assumes and
I'm respecting that you did the Bleed 'right' since it is a bit picky the process... and as I understand it, if you didn't do it 'right' it can cause problems.  I've done it twice now and am still working with HexCode to figure out my issue so I can be done with it.  Posting here next as well. 
Just be sure you did the Bleed right since there seems to be several 'Right' ways to do it on YT, and all of 'em different... HA HA!

Best,

RexBuck

Re: ABS and brake bleeding
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 01:22:51 AM »
Thanks - I'll try that when I get home.